Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-17-2017, 06:02 AM   #121
Phil1111
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I have my doubts because this ruling was based on business practices that have already happened.

The US will view this as a cynical way to get around the tariffs and probably not lift them on the C series.
Since there are job guarantees for the Quebec aerospace workers.Aren't there always! Then a new assembly line opening in the US. Once Bombardier/Airbus can show 51% US content there is nothing to decide regarding tariffs.

Boeing can go ###### itself..... No, Boeing is entitled to protect itself from dumping. Just as any other WTO country is entitled to those same protections of the WTO agreements.
Phil1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:39 AM   #122
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I do stand corrected on the Tariffs side of things, with the US assembly it will probably force relief of the Tariffs going forward.

I would expect that we're now going to have a aerospace war with Boeing on one side and Bombardier/airbus on the other for the US market.

I would also expect that Boeing has probably hurt itself in the Uk and Canadian Markets.

I also wonder if the C series goes to US manufacture it will cost jobs in Quebec.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 10-17-2017 at 09:43 AM.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 02:47 PM   #123
automaton 3
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's almost difficult to believe how badly Boeing bungled this entire scenario.

They made a PR mess plus they chased an upstart with a good product into the arms of their competitor. Put a big dent in their prospects to sell some Super Hornets in the process.

Just ugly.
automaton 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 02:55 PM   #124
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Lets not forget though that they had originally won this thing and pretty much crushed a competitor. The C series was pretty much on the blocks and done only a few weeks back.

The Super Hornet thing at the end of the day was pretty much a penny deal for them, even though the Trudeau government was willing to pay through the a$$ for them.

The Bonbardier/Airbus deal is a zero dollar deal, which still has to be vetted and approved by the Government.

I think the issue is public relations that they miscalculated, but in their mind time heals all wounds.

Lets not forget that Bombardier wasn't exactly forthright and honest in this whole deal anyways. This wasn't just about big bad boeing beating the crap out of a plucky little guy.

Old 10-17-2017, 03:53 PM   #125
ah123
First Line Centre

Exp:

Was talking so someone who follows this stuff much closer than I do. Part of the deal is that Bombardier gets access to Airbus supply chain connections, marketing expertise, and some other stuff that I don’t recall. According to the articles he was reading, this will really help Bombardier going forward. Apparently, some industry insiders are wowed by the deal that Bombardier got
ah123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 04:50 PM   #126
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:
icon54

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Lets not forget though that they had originally won this thing and pretty much crushed a competitor. The C series was pretty much on the blocks and done only a few weeks back.

The Super Hornet thing at the end of the day was pretty much a penny deal for them, even though the Trudeau government was willing to pay through the a$$ for them.

The Bonbardier/Airbus deal is a zero dollar deal, which still has to be vetted and approved by the Government.

I think the issue is public relations that they miscalculated, but in their mind time heals all wounds.

Lets not forget that Bombardier wasn't exactly forthright and honest in this whole deal anyways. This wasn't just about big bad boeing beating the crap out of a plucky little guy.
Gotta disagree with you Cap. Bombardier was already real with Euro airlines and Asian airlines to to buy the C Series. Obviously the US tariffs hurt with the Delta deal but it’s not like they didn’t have other avenues to pursue.

In any event, Boeing likely just inflicted more damage on themselves than if they would have just not threw a tantrum and filed the complaint.
Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:21 PM   #127
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't wait for the antitrust hearings on whether this should be allowed. To have any chance of blocking it, Boeing would need to argue that the 737 isn't competitive in that segment, and that if airbus buys in the combination will monopolize the segment.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:36 PM   #128
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
I can't wait for the antitrust hearings on whether this should be allowed. To have any chance of blocking it, Boeing would need to argue that the 737 isn't competitive in that segment, and that if airbus buys in the combination will monopolize the segment.
Not going to happen, the Embraer, Sukhoi and in the future Comac all serve the same market segments. Mind you only the Embraer has picked up any sales this side of the world.

I don't think even the most biased Republican backed judge would rule this a monopoly in a market segment that Boeing doesn't even have a product (narrow body 100 seaters)
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:11 PM   #129
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Not going to happen, the Embraer, Sukhoi and in the future Comac all serve the same market segments. Mind you only the Embraer has picked up any sales this side of the world.

I don't think even the most biased Republican backed judge would rule this a monopoly in a market segment that Boeing doesn't even have a product (narrow body 100 seaters)
Anti competitive effects are stricter for mergers. Depending how you define market segment (is 100-130 seat planes it's own segment?), the HHI would be very concentrated. The various Russian and Asian choices don't count as they have zero US market share, which is what the US DOJ cares about. You could make a case that is a real market, especially based on the way delta worded their RFP.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 06:54 AM   #130
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I noticed over the past few days boeing has been running a spot on the fan reminding people how 2,000 boeing ee's work in Canada, or something to that effect.

I'd have to think the spot is a bid to sway some kind of public opinion - but what do I know
Old 11-03-2017, 09:08 PM   #131
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Boeing must be feeling a lot of heat recently because I actually saw a Boeing commercial air during the news tonight specifically aimed at Canadians talking about how much they support Canada and Canadian communities. It wreaked of desperation to try to repair their image over this tariff deal.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 12:38 PM   #132
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Breaking news:

Tom HarringtonVerified account
@cbctom
7m7 minutes agoMore

BREAKING: US trade commission throws out Boeing's injury claims against Bombardier & discards duties on C-Series jets
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2018, 12:42 PM   #133
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Breaking news:

Tom HarringtonVerified account
@cbctom
7m7 minutes agoMore

BREAKING: US trade commission throws out Boeing's injury claims against Bombardier & discards duties on C-Series jets
Does that actually do much at this point since Airbus became involved?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 12:46 PM   #134
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Trading halted on BBD.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 12:48 PM   #135
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

That's unexpected, I didn't expect the Trade Commission to go that way.

Old 01-26-2018, 12:55 PM   #136
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Must be a few Democrats on there.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 02:11 PM   #137
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

That is simply stunning. Wonder if Bombardier maybe should have waited to partner with Airbus?
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 02:50 PM   #138
Red Ice Player
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This whole failed predatory action by Boeing has had the effect of weakening if not destroying their defense business with Canada and strengthening the North American footprint of their biggest rival. So much winning.
Red Ice Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 02:52 PM   #139
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Ice Player View Post
This whole failed predatory action by Boeing has had the effect of weakening if not destroying their defense business with Canada and strengthening the North American footprint of their biggest rival. So much winning.
To be fair, I don't think Boeing was asking for *that* much of a tariff to be imposed, right?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 03:01 PM   #140
Red Ice Player
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The size of the tariff was cartoonish in its' absurdity. It probably caught Boeing off guard. It didn't stop them from gloating though. It is delightful seeing stupid Trump emboldened corporate welfare establishments getting their asses handed to them by their own trade commission.

Last edited by Red Ice Player; 01-26-2018 at 03:04 PM.
Red Ice Player is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red Ice Player For This Useful Post: