Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-19-2017, 01:49 PM   #421
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
And I think that's one of the main goals. Reality says we won't get Amazon, but if Calgary can get onto a shortlist and get some media attention, it will put us on the radar for everyone else. It may not be someone on the scale of Amazon, but it doesn't necessarily have to be to help diversify our economy.
Agreed. I've said before in this thread that other tech firms are using this campaign as a litmus test for future expansion opportunities. Others are absolutely watching this. There is quite a bit of side benefit to CED going all out doing this, and it extends past Amazon itself.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 01:55 PM   #422
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

But then again, why should we settle playing second fiddle?

Amazon or bust!
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 02:00 PM   #423
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
But then again, why should we settle playing second fiddle?

Amazon or bust!
I'll take an Ali baba please.
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Makarov For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2017, 02:03 PM   #424
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Calgary with the header image on The Verge's listicle on crazy pitches.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/19/...crest-new-york
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 02:06 PM   #425
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

New Jersey offers $7B in tax incentives. Newark setting the bar.

Even though there are some civic groups demanding that Amazon pay property taxes like everyone else, there are cities tripping all over themselves to "earn this business." $3B? $7B? Will a subsidy of that magnitude ever be paid off?
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 02:10 PM   #426
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
New Jersey offers $7B in tax incentives. Newark setting the bar.

Even though there are some civic groups demanding that Amazon pay property taxes like everyone else, there are cities tripping all over themselves to "earn this business." $3B? $7B? Will a subsidy of that magnitude ever be paid off?
That's funny, I don't recall Amazon saying they would only open up HQ2 in the US.

Quote:
Amazon’s plans to open a second headquarters, dubbed HQ2, in a major US city have set off an often bizarre bidding frenzy as municipalities pitch for the company’s business.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 02:19 PM   #427
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
That's funny, I don't recall Amazon saying they would only open up HQ2 in the US.
It's certainly safe to assume it will end up in the US, but it's also not surprising that US-centric news sites will forget that Canada exists.

I'd love to see the think-pieces these sites would do if Amazon did choose a Canadian city.
Mazrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 02:23 PM   #428
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
It's certainly safe to assume it will end up in the US, but it's also not surprising that US-centric news sites will forget that Canada exists.

I'd love to see the think-pieces these sites would do if Amazon did choose a Canadian city.
Well, for starters the headline would be something like "Where is Calgary, anyway?" and many many others along those lines.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 02:24 PM   #429
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I almost have this feeling Amazon will 'select' a Canadian city, and there will be a huge outcry in the USA and then they will get some crazy incentives on top of what they are being offered now and then will pull the Canadian 'Selection' and go to somewhere in the USA.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 02:27 PM   #430
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You'll have to excuse the bias in the links. Americans seem to think this will be in the United States, and probably rightly so. Amazon earns 66% of their revenues from the United States market. Only 1% is earned in Canada. It would be political suicide to move those jobs out of the United States.

I gotta say, I really like the Calgary campaign. Very creative, with the exception of the homeless looking guy looking to wrestle a bear. My heart still hopes that Amazon goes rogue and does the unthinkable. But as I've been saying all along, how do you compete with the power of the American economy, the American tax systems, the American political system, and the willingness of Americans to just throw insane amounts of money around to solve a problem. $7B in tax incentives? How do you raise the bar?
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2017, 02:32 PM   #431
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
You'll have to excuse the bias in the links. Americans seem to think this will be in the United States, and probably rightly so. Amazon earns 66% of their revenues from the United States market. Only 1% is earned in Canada. It would be political suicide to move those jobs out of the United States.

I gotta say, I really like the Calgary campaign. Very creative, with the exception of the homeless looking guy looking to wrestle a bear. My heart still hopes that Amazon goes rogue and does the unthinkable. But as I've been saying all along, how do you compete with the power of the American economy, the American tax systems, the American political system, and the willingness of Americans to just throw insane amounts of money around to solve a problem. $7B in tax incentives? How do you raise the bar?
Who the hell wants to live and work in Newark? It legit looks like a 3rd world country in many parts. Amazon also has to take into account the quality of life of their employees; not to mention the local talent pool should be fairly educated to begin with. You can't import 100% of your employees.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:32 PM   #432
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I almost have this feeling Amazon will 'select' a Canadian city, and there will be a huge outcry in the USA and then they will get some crazy incentives on top of what they are being offered now and then will pull the Canadian 'Selection' and go to somewhere in the USA.
lol. what are they going to do? boycott Amazon in the US? No chance of that happening.
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 02:37 PM   #433
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

If it was such a slam dunk that the US was where they were going to pick, I'm not sure why they didn't state that in their criteria. Obviously they are open to putting it in Canada regardless of their revenue being made mostly in the US.

I don't see a company of that size wasting their own time by allowing bids from Canada if they hadn't done a little bit of informal research on their own.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 02:56 PM   #434
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If it was such a slam dunk that the US was where they were going to pick, I'm not sure why they didn't state that in their criteria. Obviously they are open to putting it in Canada regardless of their revenue being made mostly in the US.

I don't see a company of that size wasting their own time by allowing bids from Canada if they hadn't done a little bit of informal research on their own.
To get better perks from the cities you actually want to go to? Standard practice.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2017, 02:59 PM   #435
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

To evaluate objectively, they'll have bid evaluation criteria already set with weightings assigned to each RFP component. Geograhical location will be a part of that. How important a part? No one knows except for Amazon at this time. But, if being in an American city is super important, that will be weighed heavily and Calgary will take a hit in that category. However, if proximity to Seattle is important, Calgary will score well here. Maybe, location isn't all that important, will have a low weighting, and the economic "section" of the bid evaluation will be heavily weighted. As in 80% of the bid score. Which wouldn't surprise me. This will be a tough bid to evaluate without emotion and subjectivity creeping into the discussion I'm sure. It'll be set up to be as objective as possible.

The Americans will for sure be pissed if Amazon awards to a Canadian city. But, people have short term memories. And, the rest of the world might appreciate Amazon more if they make it easier for top end talent to get a job with them.
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 03:06 PM   #436
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

50,000 employees at a single employer in a city of just over a million people sounds like Amazon could have the city by the balls anytime they needed anything.

Whats the current biggest employer in Calgary? For comparison, even in the province, how many people does the provincial government employ
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 03:06 PM   #437
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Besides the obvious economic benefit Calgary would receiving by winning the bid, watching Trump lose his mind and stomp around bitching and moaning about some faux patriotism will be just as rewarding. Watching him encourage patriots to boycott Amazon will be down right comical.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:10 PM   #438
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco.vidal View Post
50,000 employees at a single employer in a city of just over a million people sounds like Amazon could have the city by the balls anytime they needed anything.

Whats the current biggest employer in Calgary? For comparison, even in the province, how many people does the provincial government employ
I think that 50k is potential future state. I think right off the bat it will be 5k.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 03:12 PM   #439
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think pre-downturn a couple of the bigger companies were probably close to 4k.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 03:12 PM   #440
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco.vidal View Post

I don't know how accurate or current these numbers are: https://calgary.foundlocally.com/HR/Jobs-Employers.htm

According to that, 50,000 jobs would not only make Amazon the largest employer in Calgary, but they'd be bigger than the next 4 combined.