Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2014, 09:17 PM   #1021
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Do most people have a separate set of rims for their winters or do they use the same set and get them switched out every spring/fall? I have a separate set for mine as I find its most convenient to change them myself
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:14 PM   #1022
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Used my winters for the first time today. I use General Artic and they worked well as they always do.

I feel they are in the upper category with the Michelin X-ice and Blizzacks, but without the huge price tag. I've ran them on my other car for 4 winters now and they still have enough tread for at least another winter or two.

I got 16" steel rims plus the tires mounted a balanced for just over $900 - that's what I'd go with at this point. I got it done at the dealership - I thought they'd be overpriced, but they had the best price and it only took them a few days. Don't count out those dealerships.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:30 PM   #1023
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Do most people have a separate set of rims for their winters or do they use the same set and get them switched out every spring/fall? I have a separate set for mine as I find its most convenient to change them myself

I've got my summers on 17" alloys, and my winters on 16" OEM alloy rims. Can't get myself to drive around with ugly black steel wheels for 5 months each year.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ironhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2014, 11:12 PM   #1024
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
I was told it depends how long you expect to run the tire tandem. Usually cost savings stack up around year 3-4.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 11:58 PM   #1025
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I just got Good year wrangler duratrac. Seem pretty good for winter driving as an all season tire. Has the snowflake on the tire so its half decent anyways.

I have General altimax, x-ice 2 and also ws-70 on my other cars/family cars and the duratacs while not as good as the above are pretty good.

For winter tires I would say I prefer x-ice first for longevity, then the altimax for cost and they're awesome winter tires. Then would be the blizzak ws-70. Great winter tire but life span is poor. Had them for 3 winters and they're pretty much done.
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 12:11 AM   #1026
rd_aaron
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
anyone riunning the Blizzak DM-V1 winter tire? been reading good reviews about them online.

thanks,
First day with them today. Worked great!
rd_aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 05:55 AM   #1027
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtec260 View Post
Anyone tried any Chinese made tires (eg. from Walmart or independent shops)? I know they are not top tier brands and most are priced accordingly to reflect that. My previous experience with 2nd tier tires such as Hankook or Nexen has been pretty positive with not much regrets with wear, traction, and construction. Old saying that any winter tires are better than 3 season tires still hold true even if they are not the well known brands? Some might hesitate to buy Chinese made tires, but what else isn't made in China anymore.
I ran Walmart winters about 10 years ago when it was all I could afford. They were still better in the winter than any all season. If your budget isn't huge, get the cheap winters and you'll be safe and happy.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2014, 08:21 AM   #1028
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Getting my first set of winters - Bridgestone blizzak dm1s.......surprisingly I could get them installed on Thursday......in the meantime we are driving up to red deer today
Old 11-10-2014, 08:47 AM   #1029
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've got winter tires and rims (bought separately) -- just need someone to mount/balance them and swap them out with my current tires. Was just planning to go down the street to the local mechanic -- how long should that normally take (< 1 hour?). Also, how much should I expect to pay (< $100)?
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:50 AM   #1030
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I've gone back several pages, but I can't find the answer I'm looking for, so here goes:

I'm now driving a 2014 Hyundai Sante Fe (Sport - AWD). Yesterday, and today, I have to admit that I felt like I had more control than with any previous car. But, I am looking at getting tires. I'm not going to potentially ruin my investment, and I also want to protect myself, my kids and my wife.

Any recommendations on brands, models, etc for my crossover?

ps. Glad I went with this over a truck /thread
RedMileDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:57 AM   #1031
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
I've got winter tires and rims (bought separately) -- just need someone to mount/balance them and swap them out with my current tires. Was just planning to go down the street to the local mechanic -- how long should that normally take (< 1 hour?). Also, how much should I expect to pay (< $100)?
Most places are $20-$30 per wheel to balance, and then ~20-30m (so 1 hr) charge of labor to swap. Some places have pre-mounted deals, like Midas is advertising that they will mount your pre-balanced tires for 20$ if you get their winter lube job.

I know crappy tire will balance any tire/wheel set bought through them for 30$ per, and then mounting is free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMileDJ View Post
I've gone back several pages, but I can't find the answer I'm looking for, so here goes:

I'm now driving a 2014 Hyundai Sante Fe (Sport - AWD). Yesterday, and today, I have to admit that I felt like I had more control than with any previous car. But, I am looking at getting tires. I'm not going to potentially ruin my investment, and I also want to protect myself, my kids and my wife.

Any recommendations on brands, models, etc for my crossover?

ps. Glad I went with this over a truck /thread
As I mentioned earlier, I'm really digging my Cooper Weathermaster WSCs I bought back in Oct. Killed it on the road today, no slippage on hills (including 42 Av eastbound @ blackfoot). I got them on some cheapo alloy Sacchi s62s because I picked them up cheaper than steelies (73$ per for 18s) and they look a lot better. '09 Murano, so I'm in the CUV boat as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.

Last edited by PsYcNeT; 11-10-2014 at 09:12 AM.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2014, 09:28 AM   #1032
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I had to drop off my car at Canadian Tire this morning because of the unwritten "show up at 3:00am to book an appointment and then leave" rule at Costco. Hopefully they do what they're told and not tell me my flux capacitor needs to be changed as well as a million other things.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:34 AM   #1033
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there any disadvantage to not studding a studdable tire?
Old 11-10-2014, 09:35 AM   #1034
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
Other than losing out on the extra ice traction you'd get if you studded them? None that I know of.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:40 AM   #1035
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
If you do stud, you get slightly worse mileage, less traction (or so I've heard) in snow/wet, but much much better traction on ice.

Also it chews up the roadway.

Mine are studdable but I haven't quite decided whether I want to or not.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2014, 10:03 AM   #1036
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got a new set of Himalayas on Thursday, and opted go with studs. It was only $25 more per tire, and I have always been curious about them, so I figured that this was my chance.

In my conversations with Bob at Urban Expressions, he said that the most noticeable downside is road noise. There is definitely a constant hum when driving on dry roads, and although it annoys my wife more than me, it is certainly noticeable and might drive some people nuts. I'm not sure if this will subside as the studs wear down and get more level with the tire. He also said that braking on dry roads should also be unaffected because the middle of the tire has no studs, and even on the edges where the studs are, all of your rubber is still in contact with the road. Cornering feels a little "different" on dry roads, but no slipping or anything. Just a bit more drifty if that makes sense.

But the big upside is traction on ice, obviously. In theory, traction on snow should be unaffected by studs - no advantage or disadvantage - because the rubber and tread is what you're relying on. Mileage I can't speak of personally, but there is definitely extra contact and friction between your car and the road, so it doesn't seem far fetched that it would have an impact.

Damage to roads is one thing that I asked about, and he said that some provinces/states have restrictions, but they also replace their roads less frequently than we do here. He said that in Alberta, roads are resurfaced relatively frequently because of cracking, so damage by studded tires isn't really the same issue as it would be in a warmer climate where roads last longer.

The past few days have given me a taste of the best and worst of studs. Before the snow fell, I was questioning whether the extra road noise was worth the extra traction, especially considering that we have bare roads quite often in Calgary. But yesterday I was really liking the extra bite. There is a noticeable difference when starting (less slipping) and even when driving on a "greasy" road that isn't snow packed, but not fully clear of snow/ice either. It felt like there was less drifting around.

For reference, my other vehicle also has brand new winter tires this season, but unstudded. Those feel great, are much quieter, and are what I would expect from a winter tire. But there was definitely a slight edge with the studs on the other vehicle, as you'd expect.

So there are my thoughts after 4 days of driving on studs. Early days yet. I am hoping that the road noise subsides a bit, but I was definitely enjoying the extra bite yesterday.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 10:05 AM   #1037
sec304
First Line Centre

Exp:

Costco has a sale on Michelin's right now, $70 off a set of 4, just an FYI
sec304 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sec304 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2014, 10:19 AM   #1038
Chill Cosby
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sec304 View Post
Costco has a sale on Michelin's right now, $70 off a set of 4, just an FYI

I believe that's a mail-in rebate. It's the same everywhere you go, and multiple brands have it as well.
Chill Cosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 10:57 AM   #1039
PeteLFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Where can I fill nitrogen in my tires in NE Calgary?
PeteLFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:00 AM   #1040
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Crappy tire does NO2 fills for 4$ a tire I believe. I recommend the one @ 64 AV NE, they are by far the best one in the city (vehicle service wise).

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post: