Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2020, 12:21 PM   #681
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Hyundai has finished ahead of Toyota and Honda in JD Power’s initial quality survey each of the last seven years.

They’re the only manufacturer that produces its own steel, and over 50% of the metal in the Elantra/Sonata is Hyundai’s made-to-spec advanced high strength steel.

I once had a 2001 Sonata that belonged to my grandmother before she developed Alzheimer’s- in 2014, having not been serviced on over two years, with no functioning fuel gauge, a gauge cluster with no backlight, and a passenger window that would only roll 90% up, it was still getting 630km to a tank.

If you look around this town, you will see a veritable army of 10-15 year old Hyundais.

They hold up.

Disclaimer, I work for Hyundai.

Green Lantern, are you aware of any plans for Genesis to move to its own location away from CHH?
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 12:41 PM   #682
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post

To repair the amount of damage to the body of the car, that would result from a collision that also required the engine to be replaced, all for $20k sounds really strange as a "single vehicle collision"

Not to mention that he's offering like a 5% discount for the accident history... Hard pass.
Blew the turbo and cratered the engine Fast and Furious-ing it.. The "single vehicle collision" that happened immediately after was probably "accidentally" forgetting to engage the parking break on a steep hill with the wheels straight and left out of gear.

"Hello, insurance? My car is crashed, and I think the engine and turbo might have gotten damaged in the collision."
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 12:44 PM   #683
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Or you could just drive into a telephone pole.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 12:47 PM   #684
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Or you could just drive into a telephone pole.
Most people aren't brave enough to drive fast enough into a telephone pole to cause $20k in damages. But maybe they are dumb enough?
Old 10-08-2020, 12:58 PM   #685
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Are we underestimating the type of collision that can cause that much damage in a modern car? Hood, bumper, headlights, fog lights, radar cruise sensor, quarter panels, maybe a wheel, and for sure the radiator. Throw in a bunch of labour to put it all back together and blend the paint and you're at $20k right there and the airbags haven't even gone off. You could do that damage in a 15 km/h collision.

Not saying I'd buy it.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2020, 01:09 PM   #686
Leondros
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Are we underestimating the type of collision that can cause that much damage in a modern car? Hood, bumper, headlights, fog lights, radar cruise sensor, quarter panels, maybe a wheel, and for sure the radiator. Throw in a bunch of labour to put it all back together and blend the paint and you're at $20k right there and the airbags haven't even gone off. You could do that damage in a 15 km/h collision.

Not saying I'd buy it.
Ad says the following though: There is a big single vehicle collision carproof claim on the vehicle which resulted in the engine and turbo being replaced in June 2020 and has only had at max 3000kms on it. All repairs have been done at Southgate VW.

Thats why some posters are saying it seems light on the cost. Ie. if you were in a collision that resulted in serious engine and turbo damage, the bill should be much higher as a lot of other things should have been damaged.
Leondros is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leondros For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2020, 01:10 PM   #687
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

You could also have a collision with lighter front-end damage but results in under-car damage that could harm the engine and turbos. Like, Sage Hill Rock's smaller, more jagged cousin or something.
Quote:

Not saying I'd buy it.
This is the case for a lot of cars. A kid in his dad's truck backed into my 2002 BMW M5 while trying to parallel park, so a low speed collision, no structural damage. The hood, driver headlamp, and front fender needed to be replaced. $5,500 () in parts and labour later, it was.

I've no doubt that as cars get more and more technologically advanced, the cost to repair even from minor collisions will go dramatically higher. Even my E39 was a very analog car for the most part, save for having the fancy actively aiming projector beam headlamps which is a big part of the cost -- which sort of proves the point.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 10-08-2020 at 03:36 PM.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2020, 01:19 PM   #688
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Is this a good thing? I agree that Hyundai/Kai are a great value these days, but they've always felt a bit tinny to me.

Kind of like how Ford and their "military-grade" claims aren't necessarily a good thing.
I think you always want the manufacturer to build as much of the car themselves as possible.

By making their own steel, Hyundai not only ensures a higher standard in overall construction quality, they reduce the cost of production - it’s one of several reasons Hyundai is able to offer a comparable product, with two extra years of warranty, for thousands less than Honda or Toyota.

So yes. In my view, it’s a good thing.
Old 10-08-2020, 01:28 PM   #689
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think you always want the manufacturer to build as much of the car themselves as possible.
... wat. Component outsourcing is why cars have become so much more reliable over time. Instead of relying on all these manufacturers to come up with their own weird solutions to automotive issues, they'll go with Bosch, or ZF, or Brembo, etc. who actually know what the hell they're doing in a specific area of expertise.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 02:04 PM   #690
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
... wat. Component outsourcing is why cars have become so much more reliable over time. Instead of relying on all these manufacturers to come up with their own weird solutions to automotive issues, they'll go with Bosch, or ZF, or Brembo, etc. who actually know what the hell they're doing in a specific area of expertise.
As much as possible. Nobody’s going to know how to build the frame of the car they’re building better than the manufacturer.
Old 10-08-2020, 02:54 PM   #691
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Trust me "military-grade" isn't a good thing.
Military grade aluminum isn’t a thing. It’s just something Ford’s marketing team came up with. They wanted to assure buyers it was as good as steel.

As you say, it’s not.

https://www.sae.org/news/2016/07/mil...grade-aluminum
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2020, 03:13 PM   #692
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
Green Lantern, are you aware of any plans for Genesis to move to its own location away from CHH?
I’m not sure, but I’ll ask around.

I’d have to assume they want standalone stores sooner rather than later, but until they have a compact crossover, it seems like it would be difficult to have a distinct location that only sells sedans and the GV 80.
Old 10-08-2020, 03:25 PM   #693
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leondros View Post
Ad says the following though: There is a big single vehicle collision carproof claim on the vehicle which resulted in the engine and turbo being replaced in June 2020 and has only had at max 3000kms on it. All repairs have been done at Southgate VW.

Thats why some posters are saying it seems light on the cost. Ie. if you were in a collision that resulted in serious engine and turbo damage, the bill should be much higher as a lot of other things should have been damaged.
Yeah, that was my point - even on a Golf (regardless of it being an R), $20,000 seems light to replace the engine and cover the bodywork that would have resulted in requiring an engine replacement in a single vehicle collision.

One thought - the "accident" could have been extremely minor cosmetically, but severe enough to crack the radiator. Visually, the car could look almost fine, but if the owner then drove with no coolant and fried the engine, that might be the most plausible explanation.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 03:28 PM   #694
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I’m not sure, but I’ll ask around.

I’d have to assume they want standalone stores sooner rather than later, but until they have a compact crossover, it seems like it would be difficult to have a distinct location that only sells sedans and the GV 80.
This was brought up at a dealer meeting a few years ago & the DPs said no f-ing way to building standalone stores, especially at the level corporate expected for the halo brand, without a more robust lineup.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2020, 03:52 PM   #695
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Military grade aluminum isn’t a thing. It’s just something Ford’s marketing team came up with. They wanted to assure buyers it was as good as steel.

As you say, it’s not.

https://www.sae.org/news/2016/07/mil...grade-aluminum
My point was after dealing with plenty of "military grade" items in the military, they generally suck.

It is stupid term and one that 960 The Fan is doing with masks "military grade" masks FFS.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2020, 09:31 PM   #696
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
Yeah, that was my point - even on a Golf (regardless of it being an R), $20,000 seems light to replace the engine and cover the bodywork that would have resulted in requiring an engine replacement in a single vehicle collision.

One thought - the "accident" could have been extremely minor cosmetically, but severe enough to crack the radiator. Visually, the car could look almost fine, but if the owner then drove with no coolant and fried the engine, that might be the most plausible explanation.
This could be a fun game!

Turbo and lines are kind of tucked above the right axle I think. A solid collision could easily damage the turbo or the lines. Of the oil line were be broken, that turbo would have a pretty short lifespan.

All the more reason I believe insurance rates should be tied much closer to the actual vehicle.
Old 10-08-2020, 10:02 PM   #697
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post

All the more reason I believe insurance rates should be tied much closer to the actual vehicle.
How many at fault accidents do responsible drivers get in over their life?

I know a ton of people sitting at zero. Running the math, that makes me think the driver is a way more important predictor of expense for an insurance company.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2020, 10:31 PM   #698
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Only $20k, engine and turbo?

Water.

Last edited by cam_wmh; 10-08-2020 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Water wouldn’t necessarily, blow the turbo. But swamping the car, would likely require a new engine.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2020, 10:59 PM   #699
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
How many at fault accidents do responsible drivers get in over their life?

I know a ton of people sitting at zero. Running the math, that makes me think the driver is a way more important predictor of expense for an insurance company.
But rates go up for at fault incidents.

If there’s a loss to the vehicle, the cost to repair is the cost to repair.
Old 10-09-2020, 07:11 AM   #700
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mazda bringing back the rotary engine! as a range extender

Quote:
Mazda is introducing its MX-30 compact crossover in Japan as a mild hybrid first, not as the full-electric vehicle it unveiled last year at the Tokyo Motor Show.
But the Japanese carmaker says a version of the new nameplate will also be the first to get a revived rotary engine, when the company introduces it as a range-extender in 2022.
The MX-30, which went on sale Thursday in Mazda Motor Corp.’s home market, will initially get an e-Skyactiv G engine mated to a 5.1-kilowatt assist-motor and 24-volt lithium ion battery.
[...]
“As part of multi-electrification technologies, the rotary engine will be employed in Mazda’s small-segment products and be introduced into the market in the first half of 2022,” he said.
In Japan, the hybrid MX-30 starts at 2,420,000 yen ($22,900) and runs up to 3,393,500 yen ($32,100), including tax. It is available in both two-wheel-drive and all-wheel-drive layouts.
https://jalopnik.com/tesla-thinks-it...yea-1845311420

Last edited by Fuzz; 10-09-2020 at 07:13 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post: