Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2020, 11:00 AM   #381
Scoopdogg
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I think in the oil based engineering jobs the issue is management having and old school mindset and not practicality. I don’t believe we lost efficiency or efficacy being fully remote. In fact the forced change to processes like improved things in terms of review and meetings
I agree, oil companies are stuck in the stone age when it comes to this. Sure there are cons to having a partially remote workforce, but if done right it can be very effective.

The tech companies in silicon valley are progressive and open to this type of workforce. Here's an article
https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/27/tech/...ote/index.html regarding Okta, they plan to let the majority of their workforce work remotely permanently.

Anyways, its a sign of the times that you are no longer restricted to your local market and job seekers should be looking everywhere to land that next gig.
Scoopdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 11:14 AM   #382
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

And I know that this probably doesn't apply, but for those of you that have an idea that you're going to go out on your own, or maybe you have an idea for a business or product that you are working on during your job search.

Here's a full list for all of the Startup resources in Calgary by stage. If any of you decides to do something, reach out to me, I'm happy to answer questions.

https://fi.co/insight/calgary-startu...stors-and-more

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 09:01 PM   #383
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR449 View Post
Whats your field of work? Lots of areas seem saturated
Construction / Development project management.
Old 09-05-2020, 10:12 AM   #384
CaptainReboot
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoopdogg View Post
Has anyone applied for jobs that are open to fully remote workers? I recently switched jobs and am working for a tech company based out of San Francisco. My job is fully remote and I was able to find a well paying job outside of oil and gas and so far it's been great.

My brother is doing the same thing, he's had a couple offers from tech companies based in the bay area as he's looking to get out of oil and gas as well.

With the world shifting towards a remote work environment, it means you can apply for job anywhere in the world, you are no longer constrained to your local market.

My brother and I both work in IT and maybe that's why we're able to expand outside calgary as IT professionals can work in any industry.

Anyways, for the folks that are looking, expand your search outside the calgary market, it doesn't matter where you live anymore.
I’ve been looking for postings that say they are accepting remote applicants. I applied to and got a PFO from a company in Palo Alto. Also applied to a few positions in Vancouver but nothing back from those guys yet.

It really depends on your IT area though as well
CaptainReboot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainReboot For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2020, 10:53 AM   #385
CaptainReboot
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Checked in on a couple of online positions I applied to back in early and mid August at the sample company. Got a status update today and they are still going through the applications. I guess that’s good news that there is no PFO yet.

I was told to do a resume scan and see how much it matches the job posting so it will at least pass any screening software they are using. I’ve been using jobscan.co and so far it’s pretty good. I have a section in my resume where I can replace what I have listed with keywords they have in their posting so I’ve been doing that. Jobscan is free up to 5 scans but if you have a gmail address your an just use the “.” trick and keep going.
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainReboot For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2020, 03:25 PM   #386
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

What’s this “.” trick you mention?
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2020, 03:45 PM   #387
CaptainReboot
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
What’s this “.” trick you mention?
If you have a gmail address, you just add a period anywhere in the email and most sites will think it’s a different address but to Gmail anything sent to it goes to you primary one. For example, if I used myemail@gmail.com, I can do m.yemail@gmail.com, my.email@gmail.com, etc and move the “.” around. It’s all the same to Google. I’ve done this when I need a coupon for something and some sites only offer it for a first time subscriber. Beats creating new email addresses every time.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to CaptainReboot For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2020, 05:17 PM   #388
simmer2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmer2 View Post
We are actively looking for an Accountant interested in being a Senior Controller.

Position is in Victoria BC.

PM me if anyone is interested.
We are serious about this role.

Preference to someone with Construction industry experience.

Who wouldn't want to move to beautiful Victoria!!
simmer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to simmer2 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2020, 06:55 PM   #389
JR449
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainReboot View Post
Checked in on a couple of online positions I applied to back in early and mid August at the sample company. Got a status update today and they are still going through the applications. I guess that’s good news that there is no PFO yet.

I was told to do a resume scan and see how much it matches the job posting so it will at least pass any screening software they are using. I’ve been using jobscan.co and so far it’s pretty good. I have a section in my resume where I can replace what I have listed with keywords they have in their posting so I’ve been doing that. Jobscan is free up to 5 scans but if you have a gmail address your an just use the “.” trick and keep going.
Which software online does that for you ? For checking resumes?
JR449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 03:26 PM   #390
CaptainReboot
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR449 View Post
Which software online does that for you ? For checking resumes?
jobscan.co is the site that I’ve been using. You paste your resume on one side and the posting on the other side and determines how much of a “match” your resume is to the posting.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CaptainReboot For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2020, 09:47 AM   #391
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

So what gives me hope, is that in my role, I'm talking to a lot of startups in the tech/digital fields that are just getting rolling and starting to look for help and expertise to fill the holes in their teams.

Stay tuned, one of the things that we might need to do is expand our team in terms of developer expertise and in other areas.

I'll post anything that I get here.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2020, 09:56 AM   #392
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Another thing that I really recommend, there's a app called hemmingway, its a good thing to run your cover letters through because it critiques you not only on your grammar, but also in terms of your writing style. Some people have overly complicated writing styles and this helps you create something a lot simpler and basic that might read better.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2020, 07:31 PM   #393
CaptainReboot
Backup Goalie

Exp:

For those that are in the IT network area, sounds like Suncor is possibly insourcing their NOC. I’ve seen a few posts on LinkedIn about it. I’ve already seen at least one position on their site for a network analyst which closed and now another one is posted. Keep checking if that’s your area.
Old 09-09-2020, 11:49 AM   #394
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Question - I keep seeing jobs that I have applied to on job boards weeks after I submitted my application. These are postings that do NOT have deadline dates - apply by xx date.

Does this mean that my application was considered and tossed? Never considered?

And the big one - Should I apply again? (or try to contact the poster directly?)
Bleeding Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 12:20 PM   #395
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Not constructive.

Last edited by Deviaant; 09-09-2020 at 12:42 PM.
Deviaant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 12:54 PM   #396
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Red View Post
Question - I keep seeing jobs that I have applied to on job boards weeks after I submitted my application. These are postings that do NOT have deadline dates - apply by xx date.

Does this mean that my application was considered and tossed? Never considered?

And the big one - Should I apply again? (or try to contact the poster directly?)

You can't really make the assumption, some of these ads are pure talent scouting in case they decide to actually hire for the position.

With most ATS they won't let you apply a second time.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2020, 01:40 PM   #397
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Would you recommend trying a direct approach? Emailing their HR department?

(one particular job is "send your application to this email")
Bleeding Red is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bleeding Red For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2020, 05:10 PM   #398
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Red View Post
Would you recommend trying a direct approach? Emailing their HR department?

(one particular job is "send your application to this email")
If they didn’t message you after the first resume then I wouldn’t bother. These are guys looking for best of the best. Probably direct HR to bring a few resumes a week to review to someone who actually decides.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2020, 07:34 PM   #399
JR449
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Does anyone here who works up in the higher rankings confirm is companies are having hiring freezes during this fall/ winter? Just looking out for insight on the current job seeking landscape.
JR449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 08:32 PM   #400
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Another thing that I really recommend, there's a app called hemmingway, its a good thing to run your cover letters through because it critiques you not only on your grammar, but also in terms of your writing style. Some people have overly complicated writing styles and this helps you create something a lot simpler and basic that might read better.
I use Grammarly for this as well and find it works really well. Well enough I have paid for the premium version. It also works on social media, emails, etc.

For example, it is highlighting all of the errors in CC's post above mine...
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Titan For This Useful Post: