Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2020, 05:36 AM   #3021
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Finally beat Hades with all the weapons.

I'm toying with the idea of using god mode. Gathering resources is getting kinda grindy and having to beat Hades to advance the story takes a lot of time and we're getting into the fall games season.

It's kinda neat, it gives you 20% damage reduction against you, that's all. Then when you die with it on you get 2% more. Up to a total of 80%. Seems pretty fair.
I was starting to have more frustration than fun so decided to try God mode. Beat Hades on my first run with it - and I probably didn’t even need it as I still had two extra lives left on the final boss. A spear run but I built around Athena’s call (that makes you invincible and deflects) and fast god gauge charges. I think I got a full gauge three times in the Hades fight, which was huge (including when he did his beefy final attack near the end of his second form, just stood in front of him attacking lol)
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2020, 05:58 AM   #3022
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
Any word on how early access this actually is? Can I anticipate something incredibly buggy or is it close to finished?
Haven’t tried it myself yet but I think it’s supposed to be fairly stable, just not feature complete
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 08:49 PM   #3023
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliche View Post

Full working gameplay starts around 35:00
Yeah, I've been playing it in VR and holy #### is it amazing. Just insanity how much fun it is with a throttle, pedals and a flightstick.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 08:53 AM   #3024
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2020, 08:26 AM   #3025
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Yeah, I've been playing it in VR and holy #### is it amazing. Just insanity how much fun it is with a throttle, pedals and a flightstick.
I had my HOTAS set up and picked up a cheap set of pedals and it was great, I want to try my Vive but VR doesn't agree with me.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 08:43 AM   #3026
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
I had my HOTAS set up and picked up a cheap set of pedals and it was great, I want to try my Vive but VR doesn't agree with me.
VR in a game where you remain seated is way easier/better to get used too imo, I def say give it a shot
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2020, 02:11 PM   #3027
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'm thinking of playing Eve Online, some of my friends can't recommend it enough, anyone play it? Is it thumbs up? Any tips for starters?

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 04:41 PM   #3028
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just beat Horizon Zero Dawn. I realised as I age I’m getting worse at video games. This was really difficult even on easy level. I only managed to get through the final battle after remembering I still had some crafting resources in reward boxes.

I have mixed feelings overall. I haven’t been this engaged with a game in some time and the premise is just brilliant. The visuals and writing were top notch but the gameplay got repetitive and the open world set up felt aged. I wish they learned more heavily into the RPG elements, building characters and providing more choices, and less into the open world tropes. For example I found the bunker explorations very boring. It seemed like these were just included because it was an open world game and open world games are supposed to have cave explorations.

I compare this a bit to Spider-Man as another game with great visuals and story let down by an aged open world. Both are great first entries to a series though and I look forward to seeing improvements in the sequels.
Old 10-14-2020, 07:41 PM   #3029
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Just beat Horizon Zero Dawn. I realised as I age I’m getting worse at video games. This was really difficult even on easy level. I only managed to get through the final battle after remembering I still had some crafting resources in reward boxes.

I have mixed feelings overall. I haven’t been this engaged with a game in some time and the premise is just brilliant. The visuals and writing were top notch but the gameplay got repetitive and the open world set up felt aged. I wish they learned more heavily into the RPG elements, building characters and providing more choices, and less into the open world tropes. For example I found the bunker explorations very boring. It seemed like these were just included because it was an open world game and open world games are supposed to have cave explorations.

I compare this a bit to Spider-Man as another game with great visuals and story let down by an aged open world. Both are great first entries to a series though and I look forward to seeing improvements in the sequels.
I haven't played Horizon yet but I have heard that it's not an easy game and is quite challenging even on the easy level so it might not be an accurate indicator of your video game skills deteriorating. lol I really struggled with God of War and Doom 2016 on easy and apparently according to the internet they are easy games to beat.

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 10:00 PM   #3030
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Did you make sure to get the ancient armor before finishing? That really helps in the final battle.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 11:38 PM   #3031
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Did you make sure to get the ancient armor before finishing? That really helps in the final battle.
Nope. Actually that is another thing that annoyed me about the game. I collected the power cells to unlock the door but then was told nope you need another 3 cells to actually unlock the armour. I was like screw you game writers you big tease. At the end I was 2 cells short and couldn’t be bothered trying to find them.

I also didn’t bother completing all the hunting challenges to get the upgraded equipment. They were so boring although I did really enjoy the side quests to join the hunters lodge.
Old 10-14-2020, 11:54 PM   #3032
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I also didn’t bother completing all the hunting challenges to get the upgraded equipment. They were so boring although I did really enjoy the side quests to join the hunters lodge.
Yeah, I hated the hunting challenges so much. But I wanted the upgraded weapons so I suffered through them. I never did do all of The Frozen Wilds ones though.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 07:36 AM   #3033
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I'm thinking of playing Eve Online, some of my friends can't recommend it enough, anyone play it? Is it thumbs up? Any tips for starters?
It's incredibly complex. There are lots of YouTube "starter" videos (that are ~1 hour long), and I highly recommend watching at least 1, but beware that it will take a significant time investment (even with friends helping) to understand/setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2020, 09:41 AM   #3034
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
It's incredibly complex. There are lots of YouTube "starter" videos (that are ~1 hour long), and I highly recommend watching at least 1, but beware that it will take a significant time investment (even with friends helping) to understand/setup.
I have to agree. I gave it about 6 hours before calling it quits. It sounds awesome at a distance but the reality is a little less exciting. If you want to get into the gritty details of player driven economies and making your own stories, then it's probably worth the time investment.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2020, 10:09 AM   #3035
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a game that seems neat when you read and hear about it, then you realize the time investment is crazy and 80% of the time it's just plain boring
Old 10-15-2020, 11:09 AM   #3036
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Has anyone played Xcom2 since the new updates came out? I friggin loved Xcom1. Got me through some tough times in Iraq!

But Xcom2 was broken. Eventually you would get to a point where every mission your guys would be too injured to fight, or the enemies scaled up in hardness at a rate that wasn't matchable and there wasn't an appreciable way to train up new recruits and eventually you would have to restart all over. Or at least I did.

I would love to dive back in, but damn if I am gonna waste time if they haven't figured out difficulty balancing.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 12:36 PM   #3037
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Has anyone played Xcom2 since the new updates came out? I friggin loved Xcom1. Got me through some tough times in Iraq!

But Xcom2 was broken. Eventually you would get to a point where every mission your guys would be too injured to fight, or the enemies scaled up in hardness at a rate that wasn't matchable and there wasn't an appreciable way to train up new recruits and eventually you would have to restart all over. Or at least I did.

I would love to dive back in, but damn if I am gonna waste time if they haven't figured out difficulty balancing.
Really? I found XCOM2 quite a bit more forgiving than the first one. I have Chimera installed but haven't gotten around to playing it yet.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 01:21 PM   #3038
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I hear you will be spending a ton of time learning about tools that are outside of the game. I also hear the game is very spreadsheet heavy tools wise.

From what I have heard, if it's totally your thing, there's nothing else truly like it out there for the level of immersion. Some strategies take years to accomplish.

But for the vast majority of people, my understanding is this game is far too complicated to be enjoyable and it's basically impossible to enjoy being a casual player for this game.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 02:45 PM   #3039
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

I'm at the early parts of Horizon: Zero Dawn and the biggest thing that I noticed is how important the bow is but also how goddamn hard it is to actually accurately use it. I suck so bad at it. The game hasn't really drawn me in to be honest like others.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 01:08 AM   #3040
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

God I am just balls deep in "Among Us"
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote