Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2020, 02:44 PM   #41
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

I feel like the reactions to this are a big reason why I think analytics are flawed in some ways.

Yes Russell spends way more time in the d-zone than the o-zone, yes it seems like he is a bad player, when you only look at the numbers, but I for one really liked Russell when he was here.

This ties in with the Tanev arguments as well as generally most discussion surrounding strictly defensive dmen.

These guys numbers usually always look terrible because they are defensive dmen who are put in situations to defend and aren’t put in very many offensively friendly situations.

Russell is still a good dman.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 02:56 PM   #42
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Vail View Post
The Oilers will put Kleifbomb on LTIR and have another $4 million to play with to pay Bear and another defenseman - likely Bouchard and his $1 million paycheque.
Yes they can put Klefbom on IR but that puts them at 21 players signed and depending on what Bear gets right up against the cap even with the LTIR relief. I also haven't seen the timeline of Klefbom having surgery or when he could be back but there is a bit of risk here as nobody can say for sure when the season will start or end. If Klefbom is having surgery soon and the timeline is 9 months if the season doesn't start until Mid Feb he could be back. Wouldn't that cost the Oilers in cap overages for the next season? All for Kris Russell?
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 02:59 PM   #43
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post

No. No he really isn't. He is a good dman if you are the opposition. He can block shots from the point occasionally or he screens his goalie and bleeds goals. That is it.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2020, 03:06 PM   #44
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

This calls for:

ETA: for some reason these aren't embedding

Last edited by KootenayFlamesFan; 10-21-2020 at 08:55 PM.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2020, 03:18 PM   #45
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Russell at 1.25m is fine, cheap expansion fodder
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 03:40 PM   #46
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macho0978 View Post
Yes they can put Klefbom on IR but that puts them at 21 players signed and depending on what Bear gets right up against the cap even with the LTIR relief. I also haven't seen the timeline of Klefbom having surgery or when he could be back but there is a bit of risk here as nobody can say for sure when the season will start or end. If Klefbom is having surgery soon and the timeline is 9 months if the season doesn't start until Mid Feb he could be back. Wouldn't that cost the Oilers in cap overages for the next season? All for Kris Russell?
This signing has nothing to do with this year other than expansion compliance.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2020, 04:25 PM   #47
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
No. No he really isn't. He is a good dman if you are the opposition. He can block shots from the point occasionally or he screens his goalie and bleeds goals. That is it.
Lol he’s still a serviceable NHL dman is all I’m saying.

Don’t get me wrong I’m not wishing he was still here or anything but it was hilarious when he was here all the experts and talking heads lauded how great and underrated he was.

Then a year or so later analytics became more of a prominent thing in the NHL and was being more focused on and the information was becoming more mainstream. All of a sudden everyone was talking about how terrible his analytics were and how he must actually be a replacement level dman.

I just don’t remember him being as terrible as he’s made out to be. I actually remember thinking he was a solid dman according to the eye test. It made perfect sense to trade him and I’m glad we did..

Maybe he’s gotten worse since he left cause I haven’t paid attention to him since he moved on but I don’t think he was bad while he was here.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 04:28 PM   #48
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

This contract is fine. They got an NHL defender for bare minimum.

There is nothing wrong with this. Its not going to move their needle. Its not moving forward, but it will at least help them not go backwards.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2020, 04:42 PM   #49
bluck
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

There is nothing wrong with this. Its not going to move their needle. Its not moving forward, but it will at least help them not go backwards.
Agreed. Not bad for a depth defenceman who can step up a little bit if needed
bluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 05:26 PM   #50
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Lol he’s still a serviceable NHL dman is all I’m saying.

Don’t get me wrong I’m not wishing he was still here or anything but it was hilarious when he was here all the experts and talking heads lauded how great and underrated he was.

Then a year or so later analytics became more of a prominent thing in the NHL and was being more focused on and the information was becoming more mainstream. All of a sudden everyone was talking about how terrible his analytics were and how he must actually be a replacement level dman.

I just don’t remember him being as terrible as he’s made out to be. I actually remember thinking he was a solid dman according to the eye test. It made perfect sense to trade him and I’m glad we did..

Maybe he’s gotten worse since he left cause I haven’t paid attention to him since he moved on but I don’t think he was bad while he was here.
He has definitely degraded since playing for us. A lot.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2020, 06:33 PM   #51
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

Why would you sign a 1M a year in advance...is there a risk that a bottom 6 aging defenseman was going to get a raise on this?!?! Even in the unlikely scenario he was worth it...why wouldn't you open up some ice time for the "young stars" in the pipeline...
Old 10-21-2020, 06:45 PM   #52
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkflames View Post
Why would you sign a 1M a year in advance...is there a risk that a bottom 6 aging defenseman was going to get a raise on this?!?! Even in the unlikely scenario he was worth it...why wouldn't you open up some ice time for the "young stars" in the pipeline...
You have to expose 1 defensemen at the draft who played 40 games this year or 70?? Games in the last two years. I have never looked but not sure how many players meet that criteria who you can get for free and cheap.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2020, 06:46 PM   #53
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Old 10-21-2020, 06:50 PM   #54
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Lots to laugh at the Oilers about, but I dunno if this is one of them. It’s a pretty inconsequential move in the grand scheme of things.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 07:01 PM   #55
Burner
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Lots to laugh at the Oilers about, but I dunno if this is one of them. It’s a pretty inconsequential move in the grand scheme of things.
Laugh anyway
Burner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Burner For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2020, 07:30 PM   #56
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Fair point.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 07:38 PM   #57
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
This signing has nothing to do with this year other than expansion compliance.
Yes I get why they did it. Not a terrible idea to have that in place but the deadline to have 1 d man under contract with the game requirements is not today. Maybe they can't move him now but if at the trade deadline his contract is needed to be moved out to add they have blocked that option now.

Last edited by Macho0978; 10-21-2020 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Typo
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 07:45 PM   #58
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

If necessary, the Oilers can bury all but $175,000 of his cap hit in the AHL. Moving out his contract is not going to be a problem.
Old 10-21-2020, 08:51 PM   #59
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
...This ties in with the Tanev arguments as well as generally most discussion surrounding strictly defensive dmen.

These guys numbers usually always look terrible because they are defensive dmen who are put in situations to defend and aren’t put in very many offensively friendly situations.

Kris Russell is a defensive defenseman? I always thought his best attributes when he played with the Flames were his offensive instincts, and as soon as those deteriorated he became—and remains—pretty useless at most things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 08:53 PM   #60
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
If necessary, the Oilers can bury all but $175,000 of his cap hit in the AHL. Moving out his contract is not going to be a problem.
No, but playing hockey well will continue to elude them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote