Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-21-2019, 02:28 PM   #1101
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Netflix lands the rights to adapt The Old Guard.
Quote:
As previously announced, the feature stars Charlize Theron and If Beale Street Could Talk breakout KiKi Layne. Rucka is writing the screenplay.

The Old Guard tells the story of a small covert group of immortal mercenaries who must fight to keep their team together when they discover the existence of a new immortal and their extraordinary abilities are exposed.
About the comic
Quote:
Trapped in an immortality without explanation, Andromache of Scythia - 'Andy' - and her comrades ply their trade for those who can find-and afford-their services. But in the 21st century, immortality is a hard secret to keep, and when you live long enough, you learn that there are many fates worse than death.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 02:40 PM   #1102
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Alita: Battle Angel felt like a series of short stories glued together by the always marvellous Christopher Waltz.

Jennifer Connolly really mailed in her performance, and Mahershala Ali must have filmed his over the top scenes during his lunch break on the set of Green Book or something. And the ending of the movie left much to be desired, like Fellowship of the Ring level of 'huh?', except I'm not excited nor even care if there's a sequel.

As for Alita herself, Rosa Salazar was the perfect person to play this role, nailing the whole teen spirit thing. I liked how she could switch back and forth from sweet and kind to murder death kill. If they gave awards for motion-capture performances, this would be up there among the best.

I'm not familiar with the source material--ten years ago you could have told me manga was similar to a mango and I would have believed you--but the film was rather enjoyable from a 'i have no idea what I'm walking into' perspective - in spite of all I just wrote.

The action was exciting, the street-level villains worked, and the CGI/mocap was top shelf. I would have preferred the story to have been tighter, feeling more like one coherent script.

3.5/5
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:42 AM   #1103
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Fellowship of the Ring level of 'huh?

What does that mean?
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:46 AM   #1104
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

When the first LOTR movie came out a lot of people, both the general public and critics, didn't understand that it wasn't a trilogy in the traditional hollywood sense. That is to say the LOTR books are great individually but are actually just 3 sections of one big book. They aren't meant to be 3 totally separate stories with their own beginning middle and end.

So when people went to see Fellowship, a lot of them left the theatre pissed because they didn't realize going into it that the movie doesn't have a satisfying conclusion. Many people complained that they felt ripped off because they only got 1/3 of a movie (from a story perspective it is basically the first act) and would have to wait another year to see part two (and another year after that for part three).
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2019, 10:54 AM   #1105
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Fellowship of the Ring level of 'huh?

What does that mean?

I was unclear and trying not to drop Alita spoilers, but Cecil nailed it.

In 2001 there was lot of chatter from people expressing their surprise at how Fellowship abruptly ended. Despite having read the books prior, even I was a bit shocked when the credit started to roll.

I'm struggling to think of a movie series filmed that way before LOTR (or after, mind) with such a cliffhanger. But the way Alita ended certainly felt a bit like Fellowship, hence the 'huh?'
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:46 PM   #1106
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
When the first LOTR movie came out a lot of people, both the general public and critics, didn't understand that it wasn't a trilogy in the traditional hollywood sense. That is to say the LOTR books are great individually but are actually just 3 sections of one big book. They aren't meant to be 3 totally separate stories with their own beginning middle and end.

So when people went to see Fellowship, a lot of them left the theatre pissed because they didn't realize going into it that the movie doesn't have a satisfying conclusion. Many people complained that they felt ripped off because they only got 1/3 of a movie (from a story perspective it is basically the first act) and would have to wait another year to see part two (and another year after that for part three).
I actually remember that now, I had friends who weren't big into the genre who were angry about the first one. I think they even went on to watch the second and become even more angry, lol.

I just didn't want it to end at all... hell make 10 movies!!!
Old 02-24-2019, 08:10 PM   #1107
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Deserved win for Spiderverse at the Academy Awards. We watched it again on Friday and it's just as good as the first time. Such a unique animation style and excellent story.

Last edited by KTrain; 02-24-2019 at 08:17 PM.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2019, 08:07 PM   #1108
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Details released about Disney's streaming service, with info related to MCU:

https://www.tvguide.com/news/disney-...thing-to-know/

Quote:
The MCU will continue on Disney+. Loki lives! Well, sorta. Disney+ is expected to give a few of our favorite characters from the Marvel Cinematic Universe renewed life by way of limited series devoted to them, starting with a series about Loki (Tom Hiddleston). These miniseries are expected to run somewhere around six to eight episodes apiece, and the full slate of characters who might be given their own standalone properties on Disney+ hasn't been revealed. However, a series starring the Winter Soldier (Sebastian Stan) and Falcon (Anthony Mackie) is in the works with Empire scribe Malcolm Spellman attached. A potential Vision (Paul Bettany) and Scarlet Witch (Elizabeth Olsen) series has also grabbed Captain Marvel writer Jac Schaeffer, according to The Hollywood Reporter. Meanwhile, rumor has it that Lady Sif (Jaimie Alexander) may finally return to the MCU, following her curious absence from Thor: Ragnarok, by way of a standalone series as well.
Marvel boss Kevin Feige confirmed that these series will be officially connected to the MCU, for those of you worried about AUs. "They will be entirely interwoven with both the current MCU, the past MCU, and the future of the MCU," he told ComicBook.com

Star Wars news as well:

Quote:
The Mandalorian will mark an all-new Star Wars debut. The MCU isn't the only franchise expanding by way of Disney+. One of the most exciting things to come out of the new service is the introduction of some all-new Star Wars properties — the first of which is a live-action show called The Mandalorian. Jon Favreau is executive-producing the series and revealed that it will center on a galaxy not so far away, as far as fans are concerned: "After the stories of Jango and Boba Fett, another warrior emerges in the Star Wars universe. The Mandalorian is set after the fall of the Empire and before the emergence of the First Order. We follow the travails of a lone gunfighter in the outer reaches of the galaxy far from the authority of the New Republic."
There is no word yet on an exact premiere date, but subscribers can count on seeing The Mandalorian debut on Disney+ exclusively sometime after the service's launch. Game of Thrones alum Pedro Pascal will star alongside Nick Nolte, Gina Carano (Deadpool), Giancarlo Esposito (Breaking Bad), Emily Swallow (Supernatural), Carl Weathers (Rocky), Omid Abtahi (American Gods) and Werner Herzog (Grizzly Man).

Quote:
A second Star Wars series is in development. Disney has also unveiled its plans to revive Diego Luna's Cassian Andor from Rogue One: A Star Wars Story for a prequel series that will follow the Rebel spy before his time on that fateful final mission. According to the description of the new series, "The rousing spy thriller will explore tales filled with espionage and daring missions to restore hope to a galaxy in the grip of a ruthless Empire."
The Clone Wars will also come back. The popular animated Star Wars series The Clone Wars will be making a comeback on Disney+ as well. After its fifth season concluded its run on the Cartoon Network, the series enjoyed a sixth season on Netflix but hasn't featured any new episodes since 2014. At San Diego Comic-Con, however, a new season was announced for Disney+'s original programming plans.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:15 PM   #1109
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey cool, Cobie Smulders is the lead in the Stumptown adaptation!

Quote:
The project follows Dex Parios (Smulders), a strong, assertive, and unapologetically sharp-witted army veteran working as a P.I. in Portland, Oregon. With a complicated personal history and only herself to rely on, she solves other people’s messes with a blind eye toward her own.

Parios is further described as a whip-smart, hard-luck heroine you can’t help but get behind. Once a decorated Military Intelligence officer overseas, Dex is now back home in Portland, Oregon, unable to hold down a steady job, spinning her wheels, running up gambling debts, waiting for trouble to catch up with her.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:10 PM   #1110
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Into the Spider Verse is out on digital tomorrow. March 19 physical. Includes an alternate cut of the movie. And this:

Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 07:38 AM   #1111
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

They really should do a Spider-Ham animated show.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 10:51 AM   #1112
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

​Rotten Tomatoes Combats 'Captain Marvel' Trolls By Turning Off Pre-Release Comments

https://exclaim.ca/film/article/rott...1iWUB_NqF6e6po

Quote:
The decision coincides with the nearing release of the Brie Larson-starring Captain Marvel, which seems to have drawn out particularly enthusiastic (read: "misogynistic") trolls. The film's "Want to See" rating was attacked in high numbers (at one point dipping to 53%), with people contributing such insightful comments as:

You could not pay me to see this SJW laden white male hating worthless POS movie. I am sick of this identity politics taking over pop culture. Brie Larson could get hit by a bus and I would not shed a tear.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:07 AM   #1113
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
​Rotten Tomatoes Combats 'Captain Marvel' Trolls By Turning Off Pre-Release Comments

https://exclaim.ca/film/article/rott...1iWUB_NqF6e6po
As much as I disagree with the trolls (and plan to see this in theatres), people are entitled to their opinions. I really disagree with a site dedicated to aggregating opinions shutting opinions down. The decision is also likely to make things worse. You have a group of mouth breathers claiming the media is shutting them down, so the response is to shut them down in the media?
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 11:09 AM   #1114
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a good change and I welcome it. imdb should disable its user ratings and reviews next. Brigading makes these kind of tools and channels useless.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:16 AM   #1115
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah it was also a good change when Netflix updated their entire review system in response to criticism of Amy Schumer's leather special. We all benefited from that.
Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 11:17 AM   #1116
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure why Rotten Tomatoes allows an audience rating. Who gives a crap what Joe Blow thinks about a movie.

and it's pretty crazy how a lot of people do not understand RT's rating system. No a 95% movie does not mean it's a great movie!!!
Old 02-26-2019, 11:26 AM   #1117
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
It's a good change and I welcome it. imdb should disable its user ratings and reviews next. Brigading makes these kind of tools and channels useless.
They aren't getting rid of all audience scores. Just the ones for Captain Marvel.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 11:37 AM   #1118
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

The report I read suggested they were getting rid of them entirely. My misunderstanding then.

Sounds like the Want to See and Audience Scores are going away entirely during pre-release?

Last edited by Finger Cookin; 02-26-2019 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:48 AM   #1119
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

RT is allowing user scores after release - just disabling pre-release comments.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:54 AM   #1120
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Not sure why Rotten Tomatoes allows an audience rating. Who gives a crap what Joe Blow thinks about a movie.

and it's pretty crazy how a lot of people do not understand RT's rating system. No a 95% movie does not mean it's a great movie!!!
I care a whole lot more about what an audience thinks of a movie over what a critic thinks about a movie. I tend to disagree with critics more often than the audience.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post: