Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2020, 06:44 AM   #61
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bad week for Christmas as when you put up two of the more volatile players in the game you need to sit back in the HOH room and not get involved as her silly reasoning for putting them up was always going to be a point of contention. That said I don't know if production needed to step in as it would have been a disaster for Tyler to be evicted on Christmas's HOH week and I don't see a scenario where she would have gone through with it even if Tyler really wanted it.

As for Da'Vonne I just don't know why she felt she had to escalate that whole situation. I realize Christmas didn't handle things well but she needs to keep her emotions in check if she's ever going to go far in this game as that kind of stuff is just so uncomfortable for the house.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 02:55 PM   #62
Lil Pedro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Apparently Olay Skincare cancelled their contact with Nicole F for her comments about Ian and him being on the spectrum. She was in a conversation with Memphis, Dani and Christmas I believe...not good
Lil Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lil Pedro For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2020, 03:18 PM   #63
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah making fun of people with autism - not cool.
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 03:42 PM   #64
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think we've entered into another era that has ruined the enjoyment of the game.

Originally the entertainment was voyeurism and good feeds. Simple concept mirroring the Dutch and other European counterparts.

Quickly it became about strategy with the introduction of HOH in Season 2 to mimic more of a Survivor type game. Then that strategy evolved with veto, backdooring, six finger plan, etc. and preparing for twists. The goal was very clearly to win.

Then it shifted where it wasn't just winning but hoping to leverage appearance into reality TV careers. Getting invites onto TAR, Survivor, now The Challenge. Still required houseguests to provide good feed, and the goal was still to win.

But now its more about promoting their own brand. People trying to become social media influencers, and the fans have taken that and turned this from voyeurism into a sick turn into actively rooting for people to have their lives ruined. And this has consequences on the game as well, we saw it in 19 where Paul ran the house because no one wanted to go against him because they thought he was the 'fan favourite' of the season.

Sure, I reveled in Aaryn being called out by Julie and learning that what's'-her-name also lost her job because of her racist comments. I was even glad that Michie got called out instead of being able to enjoy his win.

But Nicole laughing at a comment made about Ian's swaying and all her sponsors were immediately bombarded with twitter users trying to 'cancel' her. At least that's all I could find on her was that she laughed. That's getting insane.

Christmas' app has been 1-star bombed. And really it stems from a drunken fight she had where most certainly could have handled it better but her biggest mistake was clapping. There's microaggressions, and I'm not a fan of Christmas, but a non-insignificant population of fans want to see her life absolutely ruined where Christmas probably could improve as a person with just a real discussion outside of the house. But nah, no room to improve, the fans want blood, they want tears, because they get off on it.

And then at the same time the fans are crying because there's no drama and want back to Season 6 with Howie and Season 7 with Will. Yet don't realize how quickly someone today would be crucified if they called someone a "busted blonde" while half the house calls the other houseguests sluts, whores and gold diggers.

Can't wait for Season 38 when it's simply going to be a snuff game though. That's the only way to placate the fans given where we're heading.

Last edited by Oling_Roachinen; 09-11-2020 at 03:45 PM.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 05:08 PM   #65
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I hate to break it to you man, but all “reality” tv shows have always been an avenue for wannabe actors and celebrities to get famous.

But I do agree on the fact the fan base is crazy toxic. But that’s also life in the modern fishbowl of celebrity. These people wanted this because they are narcissistic. It’s the cost of fame.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 06:26 PM   #66
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sure, I remember Big Brother contestants finding out somehow that there were not going to be as big as Richard Hatch, Rudy, Sue, etc. from Survivor and being very disappointed. Fame and fans was always a want and certainly drove people to apply and play. And houseguests from the beginning have wanted to be America's sweetheart. It's just the shift in how they have to do it. Instead of playing the game and getting far, now they need to bend to the will of Twitter and Instagram.

On one hand, I'm glad to know that someone like Jeff would be much more crucified for his homophobia, at the same time I'm dissapointed that someone like Kent can't come on the show, be ignorantly homophobic but grow as a person by getting to know the closeted (to the housguests) Bunky. He grew as a person but today he would have had to have his family denounce him and would have lost his job in the first week lol.

And if we're at the point where a drunk person can't get into a heated but relatively tame argument without being 'cancelled' and labeled a racist, how are we ever going to see the likes of Evil Dick, Dr. Will, Allison, Boogie, Howie, Rachel, etc. who have done so much worse? The fallout just won't be worth it.

Instead we'll get exactly what we're seeing. People not looking to make any waves, content with just being happy to make jury, throwing away their game if they think it will earn them a couple extra followers, and hoping to come out looking good by not doing anything at all. Soon this game will just be all Victorias and really really unaware individuals like Jack.
Old 09-11-2020, 11:13 PM   #67
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Bay and Day are bad at BB. Xmas is a jerk but she didn’t come off nearly as bad as I expected after reading the summary of this fight earlier today. Made it sound like Xmas went on some crazy racist rant and bullied Bay and Day to tears. Seemed like a fair fight and Bay (or was it Day?) turning it into a race thing was not cool and I respect Tyler for saying something. Making those kind of accusations are quite serious and should not be made to taint the jury pool and audience.
Old 09-12-2020, 11:26 AM   #68
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

The thing about Evil Dick, Will, Boogie is that they simply didn't care about backlash. They relished the villain role. I'm not sure a person can win like that anymore unless they are surrounded by equally thick skinned individuals that don't care how they are portrayed.

I was pulling for Bay and Day but they simply can't keep their emotions in check. Anytime a person talks game with them they get overly sensitive and easily offended pushing that person away and any conflict they are involved in gets escalated to meltdowns in front of the house guests. David's actually playing a better game than them because he's laying low not drawing attention to himself. Ian seems to be really struggling and he's going to need to win an HOH soon to get some confidence back an lessen the anxiety he's been fighting.
Old 09-13-2020, 05:18 PM   #69
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Bay and Day are bad at BB. Xmas is a jerk but she didn’t come off nearly as bad as I expected after reading the summary of this fight earlier today. Made it sound like Xmas went on some crazy racist rant and bullied Bay and Day to tears. Seemed like a fair fight and Bay (or was it Day?) turning it into a race thing was not cool and I respect Tyler for saying something. Making those kind of accusations are quite serious and should not be made to taint the jury pool and audience.
They didn't call Christmas racist though, at least I don't believe, I think that falls mostly with Twitter.

Both Bay and Day were entirely correct in their assessment though.

Had Bay clapped like Christmas, Bay would have come off as "ghetto" like she said.

Had Day stuck around instead getting into a yelling match instead of walking away she would have come across as the stereotypical angry Black woman that she believes she did in previous seasons.

Neither of them were wrong. And they were right that Christmas (and all the other non-minority houseguests) are able to yell and fight without the worry that they will be portrayed as perpetuating stereotypes or having to represent an entire race. Is it white privilege but it doesn't necessarily mean Christmas was about to put on her KKK robe.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2020, 05:19 PM   #70
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The thing about Evil Dick, Will, Boogie is that they simply didn't care about backlash.
Dr. Will, and probably even Dick, would have cared about backlash if it was the same as it was today.

There's no way someone like Dr. Will would go on today and behave the same knowing that it would almost certainly have real-world impacts to their successful medical practice. Just wouldn't be worth the risk.

Boogie falls under the not self-aware ass.

Last edited by Oling_Roachinen; 09-13-2020 at 05:25 PM.
Old 09-13-2020, 05:25 PM   #71
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
They didn't call Christmas racist though, at least I don't believe, I think that falls mostly with Twitter.

Both Bay and Day were entirely correct in their assessment though.

Had Bay clapped like Christmas, Bay would have come off as "ghetto" like she said.

Had Day stuck around instead getting into a yelling match instead of walking away she would have come across as the stereotypical angry Black woman that she believes she did in previous seasons.

Neither of them were wrong. And they were right that Christmas (and all the other non-minority houseguests) are able to yell and fight without the worry that they will be portrayed as perpetuating stereotypes or having to represent an entire race. Is it white privilege but it doesn't necessarily mean Christmas was about to put on her KKK robe.
I guess good on your for acknowledging your biases but I feel it’s unfair for Bay and Day to assume that’s how all white people would feel.
Old 09-13-2020, 05:44 PM   #72
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I was pulling for Bay and Day but they simply can't keep their emotions in check. Anytime a person talks game with them they get overly sensitive and easily offended pushing that person away and any conflict they are involved in gets escalated to meltdowns in front of the house guests
I don't think it's just emotional though. They are just bad game players in general. Tyler tells them something in confidence that only would have helped them but they immediately go and rat him out, ironically doing exactly what they are mad at Christmas doing.

But more than that, I think there's a good chance that they, especially Bay, have their own strong bias. We know Bayleigh went on an anti-Muslim rant against Fessy. Neither came off particular good and Bayleigh probably got a bit of a pass because Fessy was also in the wrong.

(In a nut shell, Fessy told his showmance Haleigh that she shouldn't be talking about her past sexual experiences on the feed. Bayleigh later said to Haleigh that he should go to Pakistan and get a virgin, and then said that's what "they" do. They being very obvious Mulsims.)

So when Bay was so tight with Janelle but so rude and condescending to her number 1 in Kaysar, it's hard not to believe it wasn't because of her anti-Christian bias. And it was all but confirmed when she started no longer trusting David when she found out he was an atheist.

They have really gone out of their way to shoot themselves in their feet. And they seem to recognize how bad they are at the game as well.
Old 09-13-2020, 06:13 PM   #73
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I guess good on your for acknowledging your biases but I feel it’s unfair for Bay and Day to assume that’s how all white people would feel.
I don't think they said all white people, but it is something that clearly does happen. I don't know what good it is to pretend otherwise. It's obviously how both Bay and Day feel, and we can't judge them for that.

And it's not like Christmas is completely innocent with her 'microaggressions'. Saying she is scared and needs to lock her door and hide the knives etc. because she put those two up, while she's the only one with a violent criminal past being charged with a felony. Obviously it was mostly in jest, but would she be saying the same things if she put up Nicole and Danielle?

In any case, I feel strongly that Christmas is far from perfect but isn't a completely terrible person. Obviously she's a hot-head who needs (and is) working on her anger management. She's the exact type of person who, once sober, could view her actions, regret them, talk with Bay and Day outside of the house, and learn from them if given the chance. Now she's going to come out of the house being labeled a racist bully with her livelihood threaten, all because she wasn't the most tactful getting into a relatively tame drunken argument.
Old 09-13-2020, 11:03 PM   #74
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't handle the nicknames "Bay" and "Day". So much cringe.
Old 09-14-2020, 08:07 AM   #75
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hmmm. As someone who has an irrational hatred for a lot of nicknames (especially crappy ones like Scoreface and of course SwaggyC) and even alliance names, I don't see those as much different than any shortened name along the lines of Mike, John, Nick...Jay, Tay, Kay.... It's just the beginning of their names.

You must just be use to hockey nicknames, we can call them Bayie or Dayie for you.:P
Old 09-15-2020, 03:57 PM   #76
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

These days I think almost all HGs go into the show knowing they probably wont win but have a much better chance of spinning their "fame" after the show into something monetary - podcast, influencer, small business etc.

Off the top of my head I can think of Cody (coffee company), Haleigh (swimwear), Angela (book), Tyler (jewelry company), Nicole F (podcast)….Im sure theres more. In the long run if played right those may actually be more lucrative than winning the $500K (fully taxable in the US so deduct like 40% right off the top)
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:24 AM   #77
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wish we were able to find out who saved David. This is going to end up as one of life's biggest mysteries. I also loved Cody's reaction to him.

I know there (use to be?) a questionnaire that included the question of "Would you rather be loved by fans and lose, or hated and win?" I wish for one season they only selected people who would rather win and be hated. (And to be honest, at $500,000 pre-tax, not that it's chump change, but I think I would rather be loved for exactly the reasons Calgary14 said while not becoming some form of pariah).
Old 09-16-2020, 09:30 AM   #78
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
I wish we were able to find out who saved David. This is going to end up as one of life's biggest mysteries. I also loved Cody's reaction to him.

I know there (use to be?) a questionnaire that included the question of "Would you rather be loved by fans and lose, or hated and win?" I wish for one season they only selected people who would rather win and be hated. (And to be honest, at $500,000 pre-tax, not that it's chump change, but I think I would rather be loved for exactly the reasons Calgary14 said while not becoming some form of pariah).
Is there anyone who gets on the show anymore that isn't hand selected?
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 10:41 AM   #79
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

It’s about 50/50 recruits vs applicants but 100% are in it for the insta followers and the post BB 15 minutes.

All stars is a bit different because Ian isn’t like that but anyone from the past 10 seasons 100% in it for the fame. Winning $500k is just a cherry on top. I think you could argue America’s fav HG means more to most contestants, like Tyler.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:07 PM   #80
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who doesn't go on any television show for anything other than instafame? Really?