Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2020, 10:20 AM   #7901
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't get where people are coming from when they say that they would like to trade Hanifin. The guy is 23 and have great chemistry with our soon to be top D man Andersson. Not to mention that his 5m contract is great value at the position.

The Flames days of having an embarrassment of riches on the blue line are over. They should be looking to add, not sell on the back end.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:30 AM   #7902
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
I don't get where people are coming from when they say that they would like to trade Hanifin. The guy is 23 and have great chemistry with our soon to be top D man Andersson. Not to mention that his 5m contract is great value at the position.

The Flames days of having an embarrassment of riches on the blue line are over. They should be looking to add, not sell on the back end.
The other thing is that Giordano is not particularly young either. So he's down to two years on his big money deal, and if he's around after that, it should be for less money on 1-2 year deals and as early as next season the Flames likely will look to start scaling back his role.

When I hear about the Flames interest in Pietrangelo it makes me wonder if a Giordano trade could happen. When Bingo mentioned it on the CP radio session that piqued my interest as that was one guy I didn't foresee the Flames looking to move. But the Flames have won exactly 0 playoff rounds with Giordano in the lineup, perhaps a change would be good for both parties. I think a lot of Giordano, but if you can get a younger guy who by all accounts is Giordnao-esque off the ice, and with a stronger pedigree on it that's something that will be hard to pass up.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2020, 10:40 AM   #7903
rogermexico
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
The other thing is that Giordano is not particularly young either. So he's down to two years on his big money deal, and if he's around after that, it should be for less money on 1-2 year deals and as early as next season the Flames likely will look to start scaling back his role.

When I hear about the Flames interest in Pietrangelo it makes me wonder if a Giordano trade could happen. When Bingo mentioned it on the CP radio session that piqued my interest as that was one guy I didn't foresee the Flames looking to move. But the Flames have won exactly 0 playoff rounds with Giordano in the lineup, perhaps a change would be good for both parties. I think a lot of Giordano, but if you can get a younger guy who by all accounts is Giordnao-esque off the ice, and with a stronger pedigree on it that's something that will be hard to pass up.
Yeah, I love Giordano but I think that succession planning needs to be in the works. I'd be totally happy to see him be the Old Guy Handed the Cup by the Captain on another team.
The Following User Says Thank You to rogermexico For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2020, 11:00 AM   #7904
browntrout
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogermexico View Post
Yeah, I love Giordano but I think that succession planning needs to be in the works. I'd be totally happy to see him be the Old Guy Handed the Cup by the Captain on another team.
I could easily see management asking those questions about GIO right now. Not sure there is much interest in a defenseman his age already showing signs of slowing down. Just to clear his cap space would be a miracle I would like to see the GM do.
Old 09-25-2020, 11:31 AM   #7905
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I’m wondering if this year’s playoff Gio is more a measure of an odd offseason than of father time breathing down Gio’s neck. Older players really have to work hard on rebuilding strength and fitness after the season. I can imagine that was especially hard to do this spring, given Covid-19.
Old 09-25-2020, 11:37 AM   #7906
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post

I think any interest in Petro would be to have him play alongside Gio for the upcoming season.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2020, 11:39 AM   #7907
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M. View Post
I’m wondering if this year’s playoff Gio is more a measure of an odd offseason than of father time breathing down Gio’s neck. Older players really have to work hard on rebuilding strength and fitness after the season. I can imagine that was especially hard to do this spring, given Covid-19.
Absolutely. Gio is still at the very least a solid #2, I don't get the desire to dump him
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2020, 11:47 AM   #7908
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I’d like to have Gio mentor our younger D, and not have him always on the top pairing.
Old 09-25-2020, 12:05 PM   #7909
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I’d like to have Gio mentor our younger D, and not have him always on the top pairing.
Signing Petro would open up a ton of options. IIRC when the Hawks were at their best, they didn't just run 3 defensive pairs, they ran 5 and would often double #### their top 2.

in no order of usage:
1LD / 1RD
2LD / 2RD
3LD / 1RD
1LD / 3RD
3LD / 3RD
Old 09-25-2020, 12:25 PM   #7910
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

If we don’t trade a dman and sign AP:

Gio-Pietrangelo
Hanifin-Andersson
Valimaki-Kylington

Mackey-Yelesin

You’d have to think at the very least Ryan would need to be traded to make it work. Might still not be enough room to re-sign Mangiapane, bring in another goalie and add the required depth to round out the roster.
Old 09-25-2020, 12:29 PM   #7911
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

IMO If we sign Pietro, the cap structure works so much better for the team in the next few years if Gio is traded too.
I think Gio is firmly in #3 level territory today. I'd rather develop Hanifin and Andersson as a pairing, and then try Valimaki or maybe even Mackey with Pietro.

1 of Hanifin or Gio probably need to be moved out for a Petro signing. If we bring in a player around the 5-6 million mark instead then maybe the salary structure could work out to keep all the current players around too.

Gio (6.75)-Pietrangelo (9.5)
Hanifin (4.95)-Andersson (4.55)

25.75 on a top 4 is a whole lot of dough. ~32% of the cap.

Last edited by Monahammer; 09-25-2020 at 12:32 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2020, 12:47 PM   #7912
BigErnSalute_16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Don't get me wrong I am 100% on board with trying to sign Pietrangelo but the other day I was thinking about what that would mean for Andersson, specifically. He is on the verge of becoming our #1 and a legit #1 in the league too. but by signing Pietrangelo I think it will stunt his upside development as he will be stuck behind Pietrangelo for the bulk of his career. Not a bad problem to have Andersson as your long time #3 but I, for one, am excited to see what Andersson can become when given the time and opportunity of a #1. But as I said if you can sign AP you do it. it would just be slightly unfortunate for Andersson.

On the topic of signing AP tho, I am of the opinion that if you do, you trade Gio. He's close enough to his Norris season that he will still have suitors especially with just 2 years left on his deal and that saves nearly 2 million more cap space, while keeping the core's age lower and more certainty with contracts moving forward.

Hanifin- Pietrangelo
Valimaki - Andersson
Kylington - X
Old 09-25-2020, 12:52 PM   #7913
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t disagree BigErn but I think based on everything we have read that Hanifin would be the guy moved out based on rumors.

I think if they somehow sign AP they will pair him with Valimaki and have Gio with Andersson so both veterans play with a young defender. If they somehow sign AP and keep Hanifin I agree they should be paired together.
Old 09-25-2020, 01:00 PM   #7914
BigErnSalute_16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I don’t disagree BigErn but I think based on everything we have read that Hanifin would be the guy moved out based on rumors.

I think if they somehow sign AP they will pair him with Valimaki and have Gio with Andersson so both veterans play with a young defender. If they somehow sign AP and keep Hanifin I agree they should be paired together.
Ya I agree Hanifin out the door is the more likely scenario for sure. It just makes way more sense in my mind to move Giordano if you have to move one. He's probably only got 1 more year at top pair quality and maybe 2 more after that as a top 4. Why keep him over a guy who has 10 years left at top 4, potentially top pair calibre?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigErnSalute_16 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2020, 01:27 PM   #7915
Flaming Choy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Hanifin is on the latest Spittin Chiclets podcast and talked quite a bit about how much he's learned from Gio. Sounds like he really likes it in Calgary too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flaming Choy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2020, 01:35 PM   #7916
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, I recently listened to a Calgary Flames podcast (which will remain nameless for its own protection) where the his proposed the following trade:

Gaudreau to Carolina for Dzingel and a 2nd round draft pick.

I don't understand.
Old 09-25-2020, 01:39 PM   #7917
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makarov View Post
So, I recently listened to a Calgary Flames podcast (which will remain nameless for its own protection) where the his proposed the following trade:

I don't understand.
There have been many bad Gaudreau proposals recently but this one certainly takes the cake. Wow.
Old 09-25-2020, 01:40 PM   #7918
BigErnSalute_16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makarov View Post

I don't understand.
Well that's about enough internet for me today
The Following User Says Thank You to BigErnSalute_16 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2020, 01:48 PM   #7919
Niemo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigErnSalute_16 View Post
Well that's about enough internet for me today
I would have a hard time even if it was Dzingel + 2nd + 1st....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Niemo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2020, 01:52 PM   #7920
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niemo View Post
I would have a hard time even if it was Dzingel + 2nd + 1st....
Though that first might be enough to grab Askarov.
Closed Thread