Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2020, 10:34 AM   #6581
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
I was thinking this exact thing. I wonder if they asked everyone with a partial ntc for a list right after being eliminated. I could see Backlund for Dumba, that would be a great deal for the Flames IMO.
I just struggle to see why the Wild make that move?
Old 09-17-2020, 10:37 AM   #6582
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It seems to me they would look at the Brodie re-signing first, prior to entertaining either a Dumba move in or a Hanafin move out. I personally really like Dumba as a top 4, but I wouldn't move Monahan which would create an even bigger hole.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Old 09-17-2020, 10:38 AM   #6583
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Backlund is still a full NTC
Old 09-17-2020, 10:39 AM   #6584
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Backlund is still a full NTC
Literally came to post the same thing, next season it's modified. Can't see him being moved.
Old 09-17-2020, 10:41 AM   #6585
Niemo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

We aren't willing to give up what it takes to bring in Dumba IMO. Giving up Monahan for Dumba is a step backwards. I have more faith in finding a top 4 Dman on UFA or internal growth than i do replacing Monahan by far. Dumba just had a horrible year as well.

Sign Barrie on a show me deal and get it over with.
Old 09-17-2020, 10:43 AM   #6586
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nothing would be Dumba than trading Monahan right now (for Dumba).
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2020, 10:54 AM   #6587
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

The Coyotes maybe really desparate to dump salary. It seems they are really lacking cash right now. The Coyotes were also previously reported to have been late to pay player's bonuses earlier this month. Now reports they have owe the manager of the arena millions of dollars since June 30.

Katie Strang
@KatieJStrang
More concerning financial news for Arizona Coyotes: Team still has an outstanding balance that has yet to be paid with ASM Global, which operates and manages Gila River Arena. Balance for 2019-20 season, due on June 30, has yet to be paid.

According to Craig Morgan, the amount owed to ASM Global is around $1.6 million USD.

Last edited by sureLoss; 09-17-2020 at 10:57 AM.
Old 09-17-2020, 10:55 AM   #6588
Jables16
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

People seem to really be dogging Dumba for one bad season (where he was returning from a significant injury). Prior to that he was on a steady upward trajectory, having put up 50 points in a full 82 game season and a +15 in 2017-18, and in 2018-19 he was on pace to put up 57 points and 30 goals, though that goal scoring pace may not have been sustainable.

Given Monahan's well documented struggles I'm surprised to see so many people opposed to using him to acquire a 26-year old RHD, with tremendous offensive skill, that can play physical, and defend reasonably well. There's an incredible premium on guys of his ilk and there's a clear vacuum in the Flames system that he could fill.

As others have said, there's so much more that would go into the big picture, ie. what other pieces are involved, other trades the Flames make, who they acquire in free agency, and the expansion draft, but I think you'd be crazy to reject acquiring Dumba outright.
Old 09-17-2020, 10:58 AM   #6589
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Forget Risto, forget Dumba. All roads still point to OEL & Kuemper.
Old 09-17-2020, 11:00 AM   #6590
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
The Coyotes maybe really desparate to dump salary. The Coyotes were also previously reported to have been late to pay player's bonuses earlier this month. Now reports they have owe the manager of the arena millions of dollars since June 30.

Katie Strang
@KatieJStrang
More concerning financial news for Arizona Coyotes: Team still has an outstanding balance that has yet to be paid with ASM Global, which operates and manages Gila River Arena. Balance for 2019-20 season, due on June 30, has yet to be paid.

According to Craig Morgan, the amount owed to ASM Global is around $1.6 million USD.
I love to see us expanding when there are clearly franchises in big financial trouble and have been for years.

They should have moved this team long ago.
Old 09-17-2020, 11:02 AM   #6591
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'd rather have Dumba than OEL me thinks...
Old 09-17-2020, 11:02 AM   #6592
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jables16 View Post
People seem to really be dogging Dumba for one bad season (where he was returning from a significant injury). Prior to that he was on a steady upward trajectory, having put up 50 points in a full 82 game season and a +15 in 2017-18, and in 2018-19 he was on pace to put up 57 points and 30 goals, though that goal scoring pace may not have been sustainable.
You say this, and the follow it up with this:

Quote:
Given Monahan's well documented struggles I'm surprised to see so many people opposed to using him to acquire a 26-year old RHD, with tremendous offensive skill, that can play physical, and defend reasonably well. There's an incredible premium on guys of his ilk and there's a clear vacuum in the Flames system that he could fill...
Which, to my eye, looks like you are doing precisely the same thing with Monahan who is coming off the poorest year since his rookie season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 09-17-2020 at 10:41 PM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2020, 11:02 AM   #6593
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Coyotes maybe really desparate to dump salary. It seems they are really lacking cash right now. The Coyotes were also previously reported to have been late to pay player's bonuses earlier this month. Now reports they have owe the manager of the arena millions of dollars since June 30.

Katie Strang
@KatieJStrang

The Coyotes were reportedly desperately trying to re-sign Hall just a few weeks ago. How in the hell did they expect to pay for his contract at that time I wonder?

Maybe they were always planning to sell off as many assets as possible to afford Hall and recover the assets they lost trading Hall. Maybe they were going to be complete dbags and planned on trading Hall within a year?
Old 09-17-2020, 11:03 AM   #6594
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post

Which, to my eye, looks like you are doing precisely the same thing with Monahan who is coming off the poorest year since his rookie season.
Grass is greener.
Old 09-17-2020, 11:06 AM   #6595
Captain Hair
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
I am not sure if there is much to it but apparently cold weather is harsh for people with MS. If that is true, maybe Brodie is looking at a sunbelt or Cali team.
Just a comment regarding this. The issue is actually extreme temperatures, with heat causing more problems for MS patients. My wife has MS, and we were surprised to learn that MS patients can claim some of the cost of a portable AC on income tax returns. In the past 15 years we've gone through 5 portable ACs (heavy use.)

The other thing to factor in, is the stress of moving across country. Stress can affect MS patients quite a bit more than normal. Add in the idea of moving to a COVID hotbed like the USA, and I'm not too sure Brodie and family would consider moving south of the border.
The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Hair For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2020, 11:07 AM   #6596
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Okay, let's see the mental gymnastics at how you fill the void that trading Monahan leaves behind.

We know for a fact the Flames will be prioritizing RHS forwards for the roster, that hasn't changed since before the deadline.

Currently the Flames have 2. Ryan and Lindholm. Currently the Flames have 1 RHS RW (Lindholm).

IDC if YOU think lefties can play RW because we know the Flames want RHS rws. Again, this is old news.

So, you're going to trade your top line center for a RHD defenseman and now your left with a hole at center that you could fill with Lindholm with no guaranteed success and absolutely zero RHS rw. How do you fill those gaps with the limited cap.

Fact is, the Flames greatest position of strength is dealing fro. Lw. And LD.

So, riddle me this kids. Does trading Monahan for a 2nd paring RHD make the team better?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2020, 11:09 AM   #6597
Jables16
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post

Not really, it was certainly Monahan's statistically worst season last year, but really the entire team regressed in that regard. The criticisms and short-comings of Monahan's style of play have been ongoing and consistent for at least 4 years, and haven't had to do with the numbers he was putting up. It's because there's a decent sample size of it not working in the playoffs.
Old 09-17-2020, 11:13 AM   #6598
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Katie Strang
@KatieJStrang

So, do we have the dispersion draft before or after the expansion draft?

We might be able to get Kuemper for free

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 09-17-2020 at 11:17 AM.
Old 09-17-2020, 11:14 AM   #6599
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If we are going for it, the guy I would target is Kris Letang. Two more years at $7.25m, RHS D, he's a legit top pairing guy, great PP QB. He also brings Cup experience and leadership.
Old 09-17-2020, 11:16 AM   #6600
BigErnSalute_16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

But Pittsburgh seems like they want to do everything they can to go for it one more time with Malkin and Crosby so i doubt they'd be interested.
The Following User Says Thank You to BigErnSalute_16 For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread