Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-08-2019, 06:58 PM   #1441
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Gears 5 is the most fun I've had playing a shooter since Doom came out a few years ago. I haven't played anything in the series since the first one but I figured since it's free for PC on Xbox Game Pass I'd give it a try.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2019, 09:19 PM   #1442
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't even believe how good Gears 5 looks on Xbox One X
Old 09-09-2019, 04:57 AM   #1443
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Gears 5 is the most fun I've had playing a shooter since Doom came out a few years ago. I haven't played anything in the series since the first one but I figured since it's free for PC on Xbox Game Pass I'd give it a try.
Does the story make sense, or does it just not matter? I too haven’t played any Gears since the first one but was thinking of checking this out on Game Pass, it does look pretty good. I guess I have nothing to lose really, but just interested in if the campaign is really confusing if I haven’t at least played the last one.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 06:25 AM   #1444
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Does the story make sense, or does it just not matter? I too haven’t played any Gears since the first one but was thinking of checking this out on Game Pass, it does look pretty good. I guess I have nothing to lose really, but just interested in if the campaign is really confusing if I haven’t at least played the last one.
There’s actually a “Previously On Gears” video at the start to catch you up. I don’t really care about story as much as ripping up monsters with a chainsaw gun.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:42 AM   #1445
Mathalete
Backup Goalie

Exp:

The Gears campaign is playable without any prior knowledge, but it's always better to have some.

I'm a huge fan of the series. Played through them all just a couple years ago for the first time. The newest game really brings the series into a whole new stratosphere. The RPG elements (similar to God of War), the stunning graphics and the depth of the story really shine through.

I am super happy with the game so far & can't wait to sink in an abundance of time into the game
Mathalete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 01:28 PM   #1446
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love that Gears 5 has retained couch co-op, my wife and I loved playing through the Halo 1-4 and GoW 1-4 campaigns together. Looking at you, Halo 5: Guardians...
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2019, 04:43 PM   #1447
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Free DLC for Celeste came out today. It's called "Farewell" and likely the last update they'll make to the game. If you finished the game before, it really looks like it'll be worth checking out.

Last edited by Mazrim; 09-09-2019 at 04:45 PM.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2019, 06:35 PM   #1448
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

NHL 20 might be the best hockey game I've ever played. They have overhauled, revamped, and added quite a bit. If you haven't purchased the game in a few years, or if you have been holding off because it always feels the same, I recommend this be the year to buy. It's the freshest looking and feeling the NHL franchise has been since they introduced the skill stick.

Apart from the same menu styles and familiar gameplay, the rest of the game feels brand new. They have overhauled the in-game presentation very effectively. Out are Doc Emerick and Gino Odjick, in is James Cybulski. That sounds like a bad trade-off, but oh my does it sound fresh. Funny to say, but it feels...alive. Ferraro and Cybulski mesh well, and it feels like they are bantering in real time. They didn't edit out when they are talking over or across each other, so it feels super authentic. Plus the play-by-play is really adaptive and follows along as if the game is happening for the first time for them. And hey, Ferraro has a little spiel about "Big Save Dave" which is pretty cool.

In Franchise they have added coaches and a reformed chemistry system. You have to adapt to coaching styles and line makeup to mesh with the proper chemistry. For instance, you can't set a line of grinders to play with 'skilled' strategies or else it will mess with chemistry and your attributes will be knocked. Also, they have FINALLY started to track teams played for in player stats. You can tell each players stats from their profile, AND the team they played for that year. It's small, but that recognition of depth just adds to the game.

The gameplay is familiar, but just so damned refined. Basically they took the foundations of gameplay over the last handful of years and just tightened it up. I've never felt like I've had more control in a hockey video game. Everything is responsive, and the play finally feels reactive. They nailed the physics this year. Oh, and AI seems far improved. No more worrying about the idiocy of my NPC teammates or unrealistic play of the CPU. It just feels so cohesive.

I've only played a small portion so far, but like I led off...this is probably the best hockey video game I have ever played. Incredibly impressed, EA. Kudos.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2019, 07:22 PM   #1449
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Also, they have FINALLY started to track teams played for in player stats. You can tell each players stats from their profile, AND the team they played for.
Bro this one addition just made me way more interested. For real. As a big “sim” franchise guy this has been bugging me for like ten years.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2019, 07:34 PM   #1450
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
NHL 20 might be the best hockey game I've ever played. They have overhauled, revamped, and added quite a bit. If you haven't purchased the game in a few years, or if you have been holding off because it always feels the same, I recommend this be the year to buy. It's the freshest looking and feeling the NHL franchise has been since they introduced the skill stick.
Don't we say this every year, until they nerf it three weeks after launch so that it's exactly the same as it always has been?

I mean I'd like to believe you, I've just been burned too many times, that's all.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2019, 07:39 PM   #1451
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Don't we say this every year, until they nerf it three weeks after launch so that it's exactly the same as it always has been?

I mean I'd like to believe you, I've just been burned too many times, that's all.
I cannot speak to the experience of the online player. I have never played an online game in my life. As a single-player kind of guy you can tune it however you like, so there's no issue from my perspective in terms of 'nerfing' the gameplay.

I've played about 6 hours so far, and as a single-player type of gamer I'm already addicted.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:00 PM   #1452
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ah, I see. Yeah, I just don't get much enjoyment out of playing the CPU. The pinnacle of the NHL series for me was GM Connected, even as broken as the menus were.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:51 PM   #1453
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Does every poke check result in a tripping call now? I’ve had 4 in half a period.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:56 PM   #1454
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Does every poke check result in a tripping call now? I’ve had 4 in half a period.
That was a problem even last year. I barely poke check anymore because of it.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:00 PM   #1455
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Yeah that’s stupid.

The new announcer has Rob Kerr energy. That’s not always a good thing.

Last edited by DownInFlames; 09-09-2019 at 09:03 PM.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:37 AM   #1456
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Started replaying Borderlands 2 the other day in anticipation of Borderlands 3. That game is still ridiculously fun. I've hit high hopes for 3!
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:51 AM   #1457
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Holy hell, LG OLED TV's are getting gsync.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2019, 10:00 AM   #1458
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

So VR.......any big developments to get excited about? Looking at the hardware online last night and it seems like the price has really come down. I'd love to try it out this winter. What are some of the better games to for a VR newb?
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 02:37 PM   #1459
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
So VR.......any big developments to get excited about? Looking at the hardware online last night and it seems like the price has really come down. I'd love to try it out this winter. What are some of the better games to for a VR newb?
I used to have a PSVR which has a great library of games, but I ended up selling it because the hassle to set everything up when I wanted to use it just wasn't worth it. Being tethered ruined the immersion for me and it made a mess of my living room. If you had a designated game room it might be a better option.

I bought an Oculus Quest at launch which is a completely wireless and self contained unit which I have used way more than the PSVR. It really is as simple as strapping it on and hitting a button. Being wireless really helps with the immersion and even though it's not as powerful as a PC connected VR unit it's plenty powerful to run basic VR games that really make you say "wow" the first time you try it.

Beat Saber
Superhot
Job Simulator
Tilt Brush
Virtual Virtual Reality
Moss

All of the above games run great on the Quest- there are a few other big ones as well, but I haven't tried them. In addition it as Virtual Desktop, Netflix, Bigscreen, and other multimedia apps. It's really cool technology, but it's definitely still niche- the sky is the limit though, it's exciting to see where it goes from here.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2019, 11:34 AM   #1460
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote