Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2017, 08:40 PM   #141
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Quit being an a$$
Huh? In what way?
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:40 PM   #142
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
so let me ask you this question, some guy in Somalia pulls off a terrorist act, kills about 20 people, but manages to flee to Canada. You're of the mind that we shouldn't extradite him back there to face his countries justice which involves the death penalty?

So then what do we do with him, we can''t try him here for crimes there.

do we let him go.

Now before you say its not the same thing.

This person came over here and applied for citizenship by using a refugee claim. He's clearly failed that process now, he's not a citizen, nor should he ever be, so do we imprison him for 20 years here, and then what, when he's released he can't get citizen ship anyways. So we deport him back anyhow.

All we're doing is delaying the inevitable of what we should be doing which is sending him home.

He doesn't deserve our protection.

What makes you think he wouldn't be let free in Somalia? Is that justice?

Last edited by calgaryblood; 10-01-2017 at 08:42 PM.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:48 PM   #143
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

150 posts and 60 of them are bigot accusations, and 60 are debating a shoddy clickbait list. For the first Islamic State linked attack in our province you'd think we'd have some constructive things to discuss, but nope.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2017, 09:13 PM   #144
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

If the deranged lunatic responsible for this crime had carried a Confederate flag in his vehicle or hung a crucifix from his mirror, would his world view or religious beliefs have a place in the conversation?

The ISIS flag works like a dog whistle for the Islamaphobes. It certainly worked in this case. They've all outed themselves.

Useful information to know about those posters.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
longsuffering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:17 PM   #145
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsuffering View Post
If the deranged lunatic responsible for this crime had carried a Confederate flag in his vehicle or hung a crucifix from his mirror, would his world view or religious beliefs have a place in the conversation?

The ISIS flag works like a dog whistle for the Islamaphobes. It certainly worked in this case. They've all outed themselves.

Useful information to know about those posters.

White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:18 PM   #146
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This person came over here and applied for citizenship by using a refugee claim. He's clearly failed that process now, he's not a citizen, nor should he ever be, so do we imprison him for 20 years here, and then what, when he's released he can't get citizen ship anyways. So we deport him back anyhow.

All we're doing is delaying the inevitable of what we should be doing which is sending him home.

He doesn't deserve our protection.
Maybe not, but he does deserve to face justice in accordance with the Criminal Code, just like anyone else who commits a crime on Canadian soil. Sending him to back to Somalia doesn't accomplish that.
MarchHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:25 PM   #147
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Uh... yes? Obviously? Especially if they were explicitly stated to be motivating factors?

There's nothing at all surprising about anything posted in this thread; everyone's said more or less exactly what you'd have expected them to say.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2017, 09:36 PM   #148
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Literally everyone posted more or less along their typical mindset. The only surprising thing was that Ducay thought this would somehow spawn a new, unique and constructive conversation about terrorism.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2017, 09:41 PM   #149
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Uh... yes? Obviously? Especially if they were explicitly stated to be motivating factors?

There's nothing at all surprising about anything posted in this thread; everyone's said more or less exactly what you'd have expected them to say.
I understand that you are reluctant to ever agree with me but are you suggesting that 'acts of terror' committed in the name of God by white supremacists or those holding extreme Christian views get the same treatment and scrutiny?

I'd suggest in most cases the perpetrators of those crimes are written off as one-off nutjobs. Their stories typically don't last more than a few days.

longsuffering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:45 PM   #150
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Literally everyone posted more or less along their typical mindset. The only surprising thing was that Ducay thought this would somehow spawn a new, unique and constructive conversation about terrorism.
Can't really get much closer to home than Edmonton; but I guess that'll teach me to think we could have a civil discussion beyond name calling.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:54 PM   #151
meritmat
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
Maybe not, but he does deserve to face justice in accordance with the Criminal Code, just like anyone else who commits a crime on Canadian soil. Sending him to back to Somalia doesn't accomplish that.

Canadian justice? lol i'm sure he will be out in 5 years. Send him back to Somalia, my tax dollars are better wasted elsewhere then taking care of a terrorist. Best thing that could have happened was the police killed him and save us all a lot of time/money
meritmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:09 PM   #152
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I understand that you are reluctant to ever agree with me but are you suggesting that 'acts of terror' committed in the name of God by white supremacists or those holding extreme Christian views get the same treatment and scrutiny?

I'd suggest in most cases the perpetrators of those crimes are written off as one-off nutjobs. Their stories typically don't last more than a few days.
I don't have any problem agreeing with you if you choose to say things that make sense. Suggesting that the world view and religion of a religious terrorist isn't relevant makes no sense whatsoever. The reason a person did the thing they did is always relevant.

Terrorist acts committed by white Christian people are rarely committed in the name of Jesus Christ, so focusing on how Christian doctrine is motivating them would be missing the central point. Most domestic terrorism by whites these days is predicated on a xenophobic ideology founded on racial purity. They're not marching around quoting from the new testament; they're shouting "blood and soil". It's more nationalism than anything else.

There is a basic difference between people who explicitly want a white state and people who want an Islamic one. For one thing, ISIS (or other radicals with Islamist sympathies) don't care so much what your bloodlines are, provided you're a believer. You'll find jihadis of all ethnicities, including many as white as can be. You're not going to find a lot of black or arabic guys at a Richard Spencer event.

Which isn't to say there aren't people who do bad things motivated by their interpretation of Christianity. Abortion clinic bombings are a perfect example. If a guy blows up an abortion clinic and kills a dozen people while shouting "I AM THE LORD'S SERVANT", and we find out his priest had been sermonizing about how his congregation should take matters into their own hands to prevent the godless heathen doctors from killing innocent babies, you'd better believe we're going to be talking about it. And that has happened multiple times - it just doesn't happen as much as it did thirty years ago.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2017, 10:11 PM   #153
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Can't really get much closer to home than Edmonton; but I guess that'll teach me to think we could have a civil discussion beyond name calling.
There’s just not a lot that hasn’t been discussed, sad to say. Even the short conversation about it being close to home ran its course.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:02 PM   #154
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco.vidal View Post
Instead of a dozen posts arguing about the source, why not post a source that shows how the assertions in his post are false?
Because it's not even relevant. Whatever their religion might say they should do, it is patently obvious that there are vast numbers of muslims who aren't raping, pillaging murderers.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 12:32 AM   #155
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Your first claim stated that other religions only accounted for a dozen deaths in the past 10 years. Since this is demonstrably false can you please provide a source for all your other claims in the list before I go through and debunk them.
*terrorism deaths* If you can't see the difference I can't help you
Snuffleupagus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 06:29 AM   #156
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Now you need to site sources and define terrorism because to get to 18,000 you need to count Isis deaths in Syria and Iraq. And if you count those then you need to count Groups like anti-balaka. Essentially like all the points in the list you have one standard for Islam and another for people of other religions.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2017, 07:27 AM   #157
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Google Burma.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2017, 08:46 AM   #158
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Asking someone who supports hate-groups and frequents their websites to provide “sources” or verify the hate-propaganda they’re spreading is essentially asking them to disprove their own information.

In other words, you’re not going to get them to. Why would they trade the power of hateful ignorance for the emptiness of realising the things they believe aren’t factually verifiable? That it means nothing?

Hate feeds off ignorance in the beginning, but hate has the effect of dulling the other senses. Those who promote hate-speech aren’t simply ignorant because that’s what birthed the hate, it’s that hate is a strong emotion and gives them a thrill, so to let go of their ignorance would be to let go of their hate, and they’re addicted to it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2017, 09:28 AM   #159
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure if new news or not:

Quote:
Terrorism-related and other charges have been laid in connection with a series of violent attacks in Edmonton that left a police officer with stab wounds and pedestrians hurt after they were plowed down in the street, CBC News has learned.

Abdulahi Hasan Sharif, 30, is the sole suspect in the investigation. Police believe he acted alone.

The Somali refugee was facing a series of charges including participation in a terrorist attack, commission of an offence for a terrorist group, five counts of attempted murder, dangerous driving, criminal flight causing bodily harm, and possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...acks-1.4316450
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 10:02 AM   #160
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

My main issue with the "blame Islam" posts is the attempt to make this person an "other". Islam has many issues, and I think it's totally valid to bring them up in this context, but the discussion around sending him back where he "came from" and the labeling of immigration/immigrants from particular places or cultures or religions as unacceptable is bigotry.

There are many thousands of people from the same place and same religion as he is living in Alberta and Canada peacefully, and they make up part of our country and are just as Canadian as anyone else. We have a justice system that will deal with him as an individual, and take into account the hate and religious motivations at play in this tragedy for him.

Beyond that, painting innocent Canadians who may share some characteristics with this man as "others" should be avoided and leads to a lot of harm. Islam/islamicism is an incredibly difficult topic, but shunting the blame onto unrelated people is dangerous.

Last edited by AltaGuy; 10-02-2017 at 10:05 AM.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to AltaGuy For This Useful Post: