Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 08:55 AM   #4081
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Stephen Brunt on 960 this morning also downplaying Francis' BS (without actually naming Francis)
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2017, 08:55 AM   #4082
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Uh... somehow I don't think this is accurate.
Well maybe I am missing something but seems to me most of the additional value would be tied to the city in which they play.

The brand is worth little since everything will be re-branded.
Local media deals totally change when the team moves.
There are very few hard assets.
Little to no proprietary technology.
The subjective value is in the people and player contracts, but in a salary cap league that value seems really transitory.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:00 AM   #4083
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Regarding Stephen Brunt, he is an example of how far apart the viewpoints are between the national media and the local sports media. These debates are quite normal and certainly the local media has a lot more at stake in this case. I mean who would even read Francis if the Flames left town?

I don't like the potshots at the mayor though, people like Francis are making it a personal issue when clearly the interests of all the stakeholders do not align.

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 12-12-2017 at 09:07 AM.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:01 AM   #4084
mikeecho
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
I say this somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but does anyone else get the vibe Francis' Christmas bonus check was cut by CSEC?
You don't get a lakefront place at that swamp Sylvan Lake by being a B level columnist.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:04 AM   #4085
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
I would think that most regular posters on here have a position on this topic and they like write to support their position and I don't see them as schills for one side or the other.
Do you see most regular posters on here getting paid to appear on Flames related multi-media and "moderating" Ken Kings whineathon luncheons at the Chamber of Commerce?

Francis = Schill.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:09 AM   #4086
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
I just want to share one last thought on this, and I will go back to breaking out in cold sweats at the though of what I believe is the ultimate relocation of the only sports team I've ever been fanatical for. These words came from someone I was debating this whole thing with, and someone that can truly appreciate and understand the implications, and costs involved. This isn't some guy at an Orange Julius, it's a local businessman with a net worth probably around 100-150 million. Not NHL owner money, but he's the type of guy that rubs shoulders with people involved in this. Anyway, his logic really flipped me on this subject, and it is tough to argue with.

Not an exact quote, but pretty much the jist of it:

"Take away the principles involved in this entire debate. Take away the ego's, the chest beating, and the dick measuring. If the city were to even let the Flames move, without fronting them the entire cost of the building, it is still a net loss for the the city, and in short order. Potentially as little as 5 -10 years. Do I think the city should front 100%? No. And they do not have to. But even in that no-win scenario where it was the only option left, it's still a better long term scenario mathematically for the City to buy the team an arena and hand them the keys. The 'goodwill' and exposure the team brings the City is worth far more than the cost of an arena. Goodwill can be the most the most valuable asset of any business, and in the Flames case, the intangible goodwill enjoyed by the city, far exceeds what is enjoyed by the owners of the team, and by an excessively large margin. The biggest loser would be the City, not the team owners."

Tough to argue a guy that made a fortune that size. He's far more qualified to analyze than I am.
We must have pretty different views on this. His speech just reaffirmed to me that most rich people get there by privatizing the profits and socializing the risks. Just like the CSEC is trying to do.

I can't think of any other industry in Calgary that demands that the City buy them a new factory/warehouse/office building so they can make more profit.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:14 AM   #4087
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Interesting post from Pylon, well if you do front the team 100%, you might as well buy the team and own it. That way you can at least get some of the money back.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:54 AM   #4088
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Francis' article now prominently displayed on the front page of the National Post website.

I have received email from friends in Toronto on it.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:01 AM   #4089
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
We must have pretty different views on this. His speech just reaffirmed to me that most rich people get there by privatizing the profits and socializing the risks.
If you think that any rich people got that way by doing business the way it's done in professional sports, you're deeply mistaken.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:04 AM   #4090
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
Regarding Stephen Brunt, he is an example of how far apart the viewpoints are between the national media and the local sports media. These debates are quite normal and certainly the local media has a lot more at stake in this case. I mean who would even read Francis if the Flames left town?

I don't like the potshots at the mayor though, people like Francis are making it a personal issue when clearly the interests of all the stakeholders do not align.
Why? Nenshi never wastes an opportunity in front of the microphone to twist the knife in Edwards back. There is a difference between having a political stance and being a smug jerk. People like to pile in Ken King and rightly so but Nenshi is his match as both are egotistical bullies. Quite frankly I'm embarrassed by everyone involved in this situation. No wonder they can't get anything accomplished with these two heading up discussions. Now this stuff is national it's just an embarrassment for the city.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 12-12-2017 at 10:09 AM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2017, 10:09 AM   #4091
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ah, the old we're moving the team trick.

I can't believe people still fall for this.

Calgary isn't a "small" market when it comes to the NHL.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:10 AM   #4092
Loyal and True
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
His speech just reaffirmed to me that most rich people get there by privatizing the profits and socializing the risks.
Oh gimme a break.... Your comment just reaffirmed to me that most poor people have no clue.
The Following User Says Thank You to Loyal and True For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2017, 10:10 AM   #4093
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah - it's embarrassing by King/Edwards and the Flames organization.

As a fan who actually supports a new rink this leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:16 AM   #4094
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Yeah - it's embarrassing by King/Edwards and the Flames organization.

As a fan who actually supports a new rink this leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
I'm confused as to what "it" is that you are referencing.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:26 AM   #4095
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Why? Nenshi never wastes an opportunity in front of the microphone to twist the knife in Edwards back. There is a difference between having a political stance and being a smug jerk. People like to pile in Ken King and rightly so but Nenshi is his match as both are egotistical bullies. Quite frankly I'm embarrassed by everyone involved in this situation. No wonder they can't get anything accomplished with these two heading up discussions. Now this stuff is national it's just an embarrassment for the city.
I just think Nenshi is doing the job that he is paid to do, and was confirmed in that role by being re-elected. I don't care about his personality, he seems no different from a typical politician. We disagree on this issue, enough said.

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 12-12-2017 at 10:33 AM.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:29 AM   #4096
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

Quote:
I just think Nenshi is doing the job that he is paid to do, and was confirmed in that role by being re-elected. I done't care about his personality, he is no different from a typical polititian. We disagree on this issue, enough said.
And Francis is doing what he is paid to do, and the owners are looking out for their best interest as well. This will get done, I am not the slightest bit concerned.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:29 AM   #4097
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyal and True View Post
Oh gimme a break.... Your comment just reaffirmed to me that most poor people have no clue.
We don't all have big bonuses from CSEC to rely on at Christmas time, Eric.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:38 AM   #4098
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
I'm confused as to what "it" is that you are referencing.
The posturing, the attempt to buy an election, acting as if they are smarter than the majority of Calgarians, etc...
Old 12-12-2017, 10:40 AM   #4099
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukes View Post
And Francis is doing what he is paid to do, and the owners are looking out for their best interest as well. This will get done, I am not the slightest bit concerned.
I've been mulling it over a fair bit and my attitude has shifted somewhat from being on Nenshi's side to siding a bit with the CSEC, I was talking with someone at my wife's Christmas Party and he made some really good points.

The big issue here, I think, is that the City are playing accounting games which needs to stop and we also have to understand that we are not Seattle.

The City's proposal has some warts, I think it simply wont work, but CSEC's proposal is unpalatable from a Citizen's perspective, but I think theres lots of room to meet in the middle.

But I do believe that we as Citizens are going to have to give something without getting anything tangible back. I know thats Nenshi's sticking point, and I dont know how they're going to get around it, but the City is going to have to kick in some cash that comes without strings. Once thats acknowledged it becomes a matter of 'how much?'

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2017, 10:41 AM   #4100
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I just think Nenshi is doing the job that he is paid to do, and was confirmed in that role by being re-elected. I don't care about his personality, he seems no different from a typical politician. We disagree on this issue, enough said.
He can do his job without out being an arrogant pr*ck. The way he is acting is no better than the way King is. There is a way to do business and both sides are going about it the wrong way.
Closed Thread