Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 02:33 PM   #3821
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
From today's media scrum:
Well, they said they were done didn't they? If they reached out people would be "so you were lying".
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2017, 03:20 PM   #3822
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Well, they said they were done didn't they? If they reached out people would be "so you were lying".
Maybe the doubters wlll finallly get it. Would have been nice if the reporter had followed up and asked Nenshi if the City had any plans to revise its proposal and reach out to the Flames.
Old 11-06-2017, 03:21 PM   #3823
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

lol
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2017, 03:22 PM   #3824
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Maybe the doubters wlll finallly get it. Would have been nice if the reporter had followed up and asked Nenshi if the City had any plans to revise its proposal and reach out to the Flames.
LOL. They're just using this time to revise their current offer and make sure to bulls.......market it properly to the citizens. They'll be back, they're just waiting for time to pass so they don't look desperate after banking on ousting Nenshi.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:41 PM   #3825
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm pretty sure the next bit of real news we get on this will be "Flames management spotted in Seattle/Quebec City/Houston/Kansas City (pick one)" but it'll be after the season so as to not jeopardize ticket sales and then the next round of negotiation will be at some point before next season so as to not jeopardize ticket sales.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hockey Fan #751 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2017, 04:50 PM   #3826
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
"Why would we bother? They said they were done. It would be a waste of our time to revise a proposal when there are no more discussions. Maybe the doubters will finally get it."
Old 11-06-2017, 05:49 PM   #3827
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
I'm pretty sure the next bit of real news we get on this will be "Flames management spotted in Seattle/Quebec City/Houston/Kansas City (pick one)" but it'll be after the season so as to not jeopardize ticket sales and then the next round of negotiation will be at some point before next season so as to not jeopardize ticket sales.
Many of those cities have prospective owners and have no interest in Murray and co. coming to town.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:49 PM   #3828
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Flames might as well pack up now then. I mean, what exactly is stopping them if this is such a bad market and they're done negotiating? Just think, if they get off their ass, they could be reaping all those sweet rewards found in one of those many other markets as soon as next year. KC is calling KK, better get on it before Arizona or Carolina beats you to it.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:56 PM   #3829
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why isn’t anyone asking Nenshi about his plans for the new arena he had in his vision for the East Village he so proudly unveiled?

Surely he had an actual plan for it seeing as he used it in his campaign.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2017, 05:58 PM   #3830
stamps
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Many of those cities have prospective owners and have no interest in Murray and co. coming to town.
They would just sell the Flames to one of those preferred prospective owners .... I do not believe our owners have any interest in owning the Flames outside of Calgary ... just my opinion ...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stamps For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2017, 06:07 PM   #3831
lifetime_flamesfan
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Why isn’t anyone asking Nenshi about his plans for the new arena he had in his vision for the East Village he so proudly unveiled?

Surely he had an actual plan for it seeing as he used it in his campaign.
Because Nenshi won the election, which means he won’t care about a new arena until about one year before the next election (if he wants to run again). Nenshi didn’t care about a new arena until it became a real re-election issue/problem for him.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:22 PM   #3832
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You know why the Flames aren't rushing back? Because they know, just like the rest of us, that the Sadledome is fine, it isn't falling down, and they can last a long time there. Obviously they want a new arena, but they aren't desperate yet, despite all their blustering.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2017, 06:23 PM   #3833
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetime_flamesfan View Post
Because Nenshi won the election, which means he won’t care about a new arena until about one year before the next election (if he wants to run again). Nenshi didn’t care about a new arena until it became a real re-election issue/problem for him.
The way I remember it.
1. Nenshi unveils plan for east village including arena
2. Flames come out and say they're done(complete with Bettman)
3. Arena became an issue
4. City released their proposal
5. Flames release their proposal(excluding key asks)
6. City releases Flames full proposal
7. Majority of citizens agreed with the City/Nenshi that the Flames ask was ridiculous
8. Citizens spoke and re-elected Nenshi
Nenshi cares about an Arena, just not under the blackmail conditions the Flames have demanded.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:40 PM   #3834
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamps View Post
They would just sell the Flames to one of those preferred prospective owners .... I do not believe our owners have any interest in owning the Flames outside of Calgary ... just my opinion ...
I think you’re right. They would probably contemplate selling the team, and the Houston guy, Fertitta, is a willing buyer although probably not for $500 million.

But of course it’s not so easy.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:25 PM   #3835
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
The way I remember it.
3. Arena became an issue
7. Majority of citizens agreed with the City/Nenshi that the Flames ask was ridiculous
Nenshi cares about an Arena, just not under the blackmail conditions the Flames have demanded.
Nenshi didn’t exactly run away with things despite being up against a guy who’s campaign boiled down to; “Vote for me because I’m not Nenshi”. Nenshi would have won in a landslide if he handles the arena issue better and I don’t mean caving in. Simply not being a total dick about the whole thing would have saved himself a few sleepless nights before the election.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2017, 07:45 PM   #3836
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Nenshi didn’t exactly run away with things despite being up against a guy who’s campaign boiled down to; “Vote for me because I’m not Nenshi”. Nenshi would have won in a landslide if he handles the arena issue better and I don’t mean caving in. Simply not being a total dick about the whole thing would have saved himself a few sleepless nights before the election.
No way,

His being a dick on the Arena won him votes. The people who weren't voting for him because he's a dick already had that perception of him.

The big Tax Lie combined with making issues out of Art and Bike Lanes is what almost cost him the election.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2017, 07:45 PM   #3837
SilverKast
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
I’d bet large sums of money that they’ve already looked at a couple of those, but that they just haven’t advertised that fact. I get the feeling that at some point if they feel they have better deals to be made elsewhere they’ll simply move.

Being a Flames fan since I was a kid when they first moved here, I’d hate to see them go - but on the other hand I don’t want the city to give a deal that’s unfair to us taxpayers either. Hopefully a solution is found that works for all, but given how a lot of pro sports teams seem to work nowadays if someone else offers a better deal they’re gone...
Old 11-07-2017, 08:40 AM   #3838
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think you guys need to realize that IF the Flames ever do sell the team, there is most assuredly a laundry list of people who will buy the team WITHOUT moving it before it ever gets to a relocation discussion.

Moving the team will be a last resort, and is about as far-fetched as Sam Bennett ever becoming an impact hockey player
Old 11-07-2017, 08:58 AM   #3839
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
The way I remember it.
3. Arena became an issue
A friend of mine did the video work for Nenshi’s arena plan video. It was done about 2 weeks prior to the video being released, which was before the Flames saying that they were done.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:08 AM   #3840
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverKast View Post
I’d bet large sums of money that they’ve already looked at a couple of those,
I would bet larger sums of money that they haven't.

Quote:
but that they just haven’t advertised that fact.
Riiiiiiight... because "make a show of going to other markets" isn't on page 124 of the "How to suck venue money out of your local municipality" Handbook.

Quote:
I get the feeling that at some point if they feel they have better deals to be made elsewhere they’ll simply move.
The current owners of the Calgary Flames are not moving the team... they may at some point sell the team to someone who may want to relocate them (if they can get Bettman and the BoG behind that... good luck with that with all those struggling US teams) but they themselves are not going to move the team.

Quote:
Being a Flames fan since I was a kid when they first moved here, I’d hate to see them go - but on the other hand I don’t want the city to give a deal that’s unfair to us taxpayers either. Hopefully a solution is found that works for all
Sure... problem is that would involve Ken King and Murray Edwards realizing that they're negotiating an arena deal with the City of Calgary not having a dick measuring contest with Darryl Katz (where the more team friendly arena deal is the winner). The Calgary Flames are not going to get the Edmonton deal... the sooner they accept that the sooner a deal can get done.
Closed Thread