Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2020, 12:25 PM   #1521
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
Coincidentally, I tried watching Bad Boys II last weekend. I couldn't make it to the end - running over dead people *could* be funny, but only if the film had already established a dark tone. I wouldn't say you'd have to be a moron to like it, but the demographic likely skews that way.
If you enjoy watching two grown men with anger issues constantly arguing like children as the centerpiece of a typical Michael Bay action over substance movie, you will probably consider it an all-time classic.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 12:29 PM   #1522
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Are we still talking Korean movies?

Silenced was absolutely devastating, an extremely difficult watch. Serious trigger warnings for this one.

Quote:
based on events that took place at Gwangju Inhwa School for the hearing-impaired, where young deaf students were the victims of repeated sexual assaults by faculty members over a period of five years in the early 2000s

Quote:
Gang In-ho uncovers sexual and physical abuse at a school for hearing impaired children. With the help of a human rights activist, Gang fights against the community to expose the abuse and put a stop to it.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rando For This Useful Post:
AC, Itse
Old 02-28-2020, 02:07 PM   #1523
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Bad Boys 2 is ridiculous schlock fest from the very start and running over dead bodies as a joke is well within the tone of pretty much any Michael Bay movie (that tone being: escapist fun for teenage boys, he'll bluntly tell you that himself). I know it's trendy to poop on all things Michael Bay and he's made more movies I dislike than like, so I'm at my limit defending him here, but sometimes the formula works: The Rock, Pain & Gain and Bad Boys II are all great movies imo.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2020, 05:22 PM   #1524
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
Bad Boys 2 is ridiculous schlock fest from the very start and running over dead bodies as a joke is well within the tone of pretty much any Michael Bay movie (that tone being: escapist fun for teenage boys, he'll bluntly tell you that himself). I know it's trendy to poop on all things Michael Bay and he's made more movies I dislike than like, so I'm at my limit defending him here, but sometimes the formula works: The Rock, Pain & Gain and Bad Boys II are all great movies imo.
Loved Pain and Gain. Didn't seem like a typical Bay movie though imo.
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 10:47 PM   #1525
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Invisible Man was savage.

Highly entertaining.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2020, 04:38 PM   #1526
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Invisible Man was very solid. Good at building up suspense. Wouldn’t expect too much in jump scares, it’s not that kind of movie. One or two gory moments. Scary? Not really. Entertaining? Very. Good story. Thumbs up from me and I’d watch it again for sure.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to icecube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2020, 09:27 PM   #1527
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

3 from Hell was well not very good at all.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 07:13 AM   #1528
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been a bit let down by some of the acclaimed movies of 2019. Knives Out was not bad but disappointing. Started out with such promise with a great cast in a Clue like setting with the potential of a clever who done it only halfway through the movie it just bails on all of that focussing on a couple of characters while underutilizing the rest of the cast. The ingredients for a great film were there and they just underbaked it.

Parasite was better but far from the best South Korean film ever made. It's like a bunch of movie critics and Oscar voters had never seen or heard of South Korea cinema before and realised "Wow this highly entertaining, violent, quirky, dark, depressing, revenge storytelling with twists is pretty cool." Good movie but I was expecting a masterpiece seeing this was finally the South Korean film that broke through to mainstream west moviegoers and it's just a good film by the standards set decades ago by South Korean cinema.
Old 03-02-2020, 07:18 AM   #1529
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
3 from Hell was well not very good at all.
I used to think Rob Zombie had potential in the horror genre especially after his Halloween remake but it seems now he just uses movies as a vessel to cast his wife and actor buddies in films. I liked Captain Spaulding but others can fade away now.
Old 03-02-2020, 07:32 AM   #1530
jmac98
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Icon35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
... Rob Zombie .... but it seems now he just uses movies as a vessel to cast his wife and actor buddies in films.
You spelled ‘Adam Sandler’ wrong.
jmac98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 07:34 AM   #1531
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Damn 1917 was a ride. Felt so different and unique with the one shot take technique. Great movie!
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 07:36 AM   #1532
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I used to think Rob Zombie had potential in the horror genre especially after his Halloween remake but it seems now he just uses movies as a vessel to cast his wife and actor buddies in films. I liked Captain Spaulding but others can fade away now.
Sadly Sid Haig passed away so he was barely in the new one and the scenes he was in he looked so old and frail. I agree, he had potential and House of 1000 Corpses was great and I liked Devils Rejects and Lords of Salem but wasn't a big fan of his Halloween films or 3 From Hell.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 07:38 AM   #1533
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whatever you do, don't watch 31. It's bad even by bad Rob Zombie standards, and not bad enough to be 'good bad'.
Old 03-02-2020, 10:00 AM   #1534
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Whatever you do, don't watch 31. It's bad even by bad Rob Zombie standards, and not bad enough to be 'good bad'.
I did and yes it's bad. I generally don't discuss bad movies that most people won't watch anyway unless someone else brings it up lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac98 View Post
You spelled ‘Adam Sandler’ wrong.
Well at least Sandler's buddies are somewhat accomplished on their own.
Old 03-02-2020, 10:58 AM   #1535
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
31 is Casablanca and Citizen Kane rolled into one compared to 3 from hell. I wasn’t kidding when I said earlier in this thread that it might be the worst film I’ve ever watched.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 11:56 AM   #1536
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
Are we still talking Korean movies?

Silenced was absolutely devastating, an extremely difficult watch. Serious trigger warnings for this one.

Only 5 years? compared to the Deaf school in Vancouver that's a walk in the park, Jericho Hill had a regime of rampant and endemic abuse going back into the 50's
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 02:36 PM   #1537
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Only 5 years? compared to the Deaf school in Vancouver that's a walk in the park, Jericho Hill had a regime of rampant and endemic abuse going back into the 50's
Okay.
Old 03-02-2020, 02:52 PM   #1538
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Okay.
Jericho Hill School for the Deaf, although it would seem sexual abuse was rampant in all deaf institutions that I have heard of
Old 03-02-2020, 02:59 PM   #1539
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yeah, I know. It was just a weird comment. "Only five years". Like that matters to the victim in this case.
Old 03-02-2020, 04:12 PM   #1540
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, I know. It was just a weird comment. "Only five years". Like that matters to the victim in this case.
Sorry, didn't mean to be flippant, Jericho Hill has been all but forgotten in BC but the stuff that went on there was so grim.
They swept it under the rug when it was happening and it seems like its been quietly forgotten since.
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post: