Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 09:02 AM   #1641
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is some very fine tennis being played by these two ladies.
Old 06-09-2018, 09:03 AM   #1642
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was great!!!
Old 06-09-2018, 09:15 AM   #1643
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really happy for Mona, she's had a lot of heartbreak over the years. Been probably the most consistent player on tour the last 3-4 years, and now she finally has her major.
Old 06-10-2018, 08:10 AM   #1644
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a match so far, both men are giving it there all. Rafa with the late break and he takes the first set.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2018, 08:31 AM   #1645
CedarMeter
First Line Centre

Exp:

Both players are crushing that ball.
Old 06-10-2018, 08:55 AM   #1646
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Even by his standards Rafa is wasting a ridiculous amount of time between points. Thiem should be more willing to complain, that 46 second one was laughable, and that's not even the one he got called on a time violation for.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:06 AM   #1647
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Even by his standards Rafa is wasting a ridiculous amount of time between points. Thiem should be more willing to complain, that 46 second one was laughable, and that's not even the one he got called on a time violation for.
I think his opponents never complain because there gassed from the last point so they probably don't mind. It's up to the umpires to enforce the rules, it's no different than a player getting a new stick after an icing.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:08 AM   #1648
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

A shot clock of course is the easy answer, eliminate any subjectivity to it. But throwing in the token call a match is the equivalent of the NBA calling a token travelling call or two, despite there being significantly more travelling violations that go uncalled.

Last edited by Senator Clay Davis; 06-10-2018 at 09:25 AM.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:18 AM   #1649
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's going to be a very interesting US Open with the shot clock this year. I hope it doesn't catch on haha
Old 06-10-2018, 10:17 AM   #1650
CedarMeter
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm such a baby. I tear up every time he wins the French.
The Following User Says Thank You to CedarMeter For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2018, 10:32 AM   #1651
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really? I don't know how you manage to summon emotion up. It's pretty much the most predictable, least suspenseful, by the numbers result in sports, every time. At least when it was like this with Federer it was a spectacle. The guy is obviously insanely great but his matches at the French are never that much fun to watch.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 06-10-2018, 01:24 PM   #1652
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

As Garth Brooks said you never know when the dance will end, and Djokovic has shown the next grand slam isn't a guarantee. At 32 he's certainly closer to his last win from his first. Each time he wins I treat it like his last. 11 French Open titles when you say it out loud it doesn't make sense. If he only played the French Open he would have the 4th most grand slam titles ever. He also keeps the door open (10% chance) of finally catching the great Roger Federer for most Slams, if only Fed would stop winning lol.
Old 06-10-2018, 02:24 PM   #1653
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice tweet from Bianca Andreescu...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1005497475577384960
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2018, 02:45 PM   #1654
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shapo in action tomorrow on grass, if Fed makes the finals in Stuttgart he will return to world #1.
Old 06-10-2018, 02:57 PM   #1655
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Shapo in action tomorrow on grass, if Fed makes the finals in Stuttgart he will return to world #1.
Milos is also playing in Stuttgart while Vasek is playing in the Netherlands (and got a pretty nice draw, hopefully he can take advantage of it).
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2018, 08:34 PM   #1656
spiteface
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post

A few things im taking a stab at here:
1) you are a federer fan (and you sound like the whiny mary carillo type)
2) what nadal has done in tennis at RG is probably one of the greatest sport feats ever, and playing rafa at RG is one of the biggest challenges in sports ever, but you don't appreciate it and look for petty things to complain about in order to taint this accomplishment. thiem understands and plays the sport with great admiration for rafa, and if he wants to complain for sure he is not waiting for your permission. on the contrary, he respects what is obviously a very special athlete and human above all.

and thirdly, add this to your repertoire: VAMOS RAFA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-10-2018, 08:46 PM   #1657
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
As Garth Brooks said you never know when the dance will end, and Djokovic has shown the next grand slam isn't a guarantee. At 32 he's certainly closer to his last win from his first. Each time he wins I treat it like his last. 11 French Open titles when you say it out loud it doesn't make sense. If he only played the French Open he would have the 4th most grand slam titles ever. He also keeps the door open (10% chance) of finally catching the great Roger Federer for most Slams, if only Fed would stop winning lol.
Nadal seems so dominant in his French Open wins that another 2 or 3 titles there seems almost likely. My guess is he gets to 20 career slams. Maybe 21. Federer has better shot on other surfaces but he is not so dominant. Who knows but think his odds might be better than 10%?
Old 06-10-2018, 11:00 PM   #1658
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nadal's record of 11+ titles at one grand slam should stand for a long time. I enjoy watching him play on clay even if he dominates. It's nice to just sit back and appreciate the best clay court player in the history of tennis. I find him easier to watch than big server guys like Sampras that won a lot of matches on serve alone. Always some good rallies with Nadal.
Old 06-11-2018, 06:22 AM   #1659
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiteface View Post
A few things im taking a stab at here:
1) you are a federer fan (and you sound like the whiny mary carillo type)
2) what nadal has done in tennis at RG is probably one of the greatest sport feats ever, and playing rafa at RG is one of the biggest challenges in sports ever, but you don't appreciate it and look for petty things to complain about in order to taint this accomplishment. thiem understands and plays the sport with great admiration for rafa, and if he wants to complain for sure he is not waiting for your permission. on the contrary, he respects what is obviously a very special athlete and human above all.

and thirdly, add this to your repertoire: VAMOS RAFA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I respect that Nadal at Roland Garros is the most dominant thing in sports, it's 10 times more boring than the NBA currently is, and I consider that exceptionally boring because it's so predictable. So you can't give someone a bigger compliment than you generally don't watch or care about the event they participate in, because it's such a foregone conclusion. Remember, I said this tournament was over probably three times before the guy with the name "Nadal Fan" decided it was over too. I respect Rafa more than he does it seems.

It's also true he's the biggest time waster in the game. Imagine replaying the last 15 years of the sport with simply adding a 100% enforced shot clock. I know Roger's major count isn't changing. Rafa and Novak? Clearly can't say the same. My problem isn't actually even with Rafa or Novak, it's that the rule is randomly applied, like when Vasek was playing Murray in the QFs at Wimbledon a few years ago and had one called very late in the set, at a key point. Either eliminate the rule, or call it 100% of the time, but to just do it occasionally as some kind of reminder there even is the rule....what's the point?

Last edited by Senator Clay Davis; 06-11-2018 at 06:31 AM.
Old 06-11-2018, 06:34 AM   #1660
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also think it's probably 60-40 Nadal gets the record, he's hitting geezer territory like Roger so he can start skipping tournaments and he can then simply play clay only and maybe the other majors and that's it. As we saw yesterday the alleged biggest threat to Rafa on clay is still about 50 miles away from being good enough to beat him. Rafa could easily get to 15 at the French. I suspect he gets to at least 14.