Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-30-2021, 12:39 PM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Default China limits minors playing video games to 3 hours per week

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video..._medium=social

Quote:
China announced Monday that it is banning minors from playing video games during the school week and can only play for an hour on Fridays, weekends and holidays. The new rule comes from China’s video game regulator, the National Press and Publication Administration, which did not respond to requests for comment.

The policy is slated to take effect by September 1.

China has established extensive rules about minors and playing video games in the past, after blaming games for causing nearsightedness and addiction in youth. In 2019, the government announced that gamers under 18 had to stop playing between 10 p.m. and 8 a.m., and only game for 90 minutes on weekdays. In 2018, Beijing stopped approving video games for publication for nearly nine months, hurting the bottom line for massive Chinese companies like NetEase and Tencent.

The Chinese government plans to enforce the ban by requiring minors to register to games with their real names and requiring gaming companies to ask for real names. Some game companies have already begun to use a real name-based registration system to limit playtime, such as Tencent asking for real names with its wildly successful mobile hit, “Honor of Kings.”
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 02:07 PM   #2
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

It must be so nice having the government look after your every need. Every. Single. Need.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 02:13 PM   #3
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is what happens when a centrally managed government pursues capitalism to the extremum. Policies like 996, and this, preventing distractions from studies that allow the country to maximize all available labour and minds. Their citizens may as well be robots.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 03:37 PM   #4
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

How are the youth of China gonna "get gud"? The CCP will be sorry when esports join the Olympics, and they win 0 medals.
Old 08-30-2021, 07:12 PM   #5
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Less hackers on online games then, good news
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 07:15 PM   #6
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

No-friendo
Old 08-31-2021, 11:05 AM   #7
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
How are the youth of China gonna "get gud"? The CCP will be sorry when esports join the Olympics, and they win 0 medals.
They now know who everyone in their country playing every video game is. They'll use that information to locate the best prospects at a young age and not only exempt them from this requirement but essentially force them to play constantly and get gud at the thing the government wants them to compete in. They will simultaneously have people working on understanding the game mechanics and teaching the players to play in a fashion that exploits those mechanics. They will favour video game companies that cater to their preferences with regard to these exploitable mechanics and patch their games to give their players a better chance to succeed.

They will win 100% of the medals.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 12:32 PM   #8
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
This is what happens when a centrally managed government pursues capitalism to the extremum. Policies like 996, and this, preventing distractions from studies that allow the country to maximize all available labour and minds. Their citizens may as well be robots.
I thought they just "outlawed" 996 like last week.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 12:49 PM   #9
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It appears you are correct.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/996_working_hour_system
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 09:47 AM   #10
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Parents all around the country rejoice.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 03:22 PM   #11
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
996 has been outlawed but companies will skirt this requirement by just sending emails and mobile alerts to the workers that "they must now officially stop working".

At the same time, the workers know that if they don't continue working, someone else is going to work harder than them and get ahead. In other situations, if they are behind in their work (their version of Amazon delivery drivers, etc.) they would just keep delivering for hours more until they got the job done since they would lose money or get fined for failing to meet the company's impossible targets.

These are as effective as the Japanese and Korean policies to curb overwork which have all failed (forcing companies to turn off the lights in offices, etc.). People just work in the dark in their laptops or go home and keep working.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 09:26 AM   #12
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I get it's a heavy handed tactic (as usual by the Chinese government since they have control of everything), but I do sort of get what they're trying to do. On-line game addiction is a real thing, especially with all these gacha games aimed towards kids, and it's clear they're set up to prey on vulnerable human traits. It's really not much different than trying to curb gambling addictions.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2021, 12:52 PM   #13
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Less hackers on online games then, good news
I was just thinking and all of a sudden Warzone is playable again!!
Old 09-07-2021, 09:23 AM   #14
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I've seen 996 referenced here and there, and assumed it meant 9 hrs work, 9 for life, and 6 for sleep (Rather than the stereotypical 8-8-8). Man am I wrong. Brutal. But it explains a lot of the work style I've noticed from Chinese-heritage coworkers over the years.