Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2021, 11:14 AM   #41
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
An article from 2019, looking at 15 years of drafting from 2000-2014, giving 5 years for some results to show

https://canucksarmy.com/2019/08/11/a...d-goaltenders/

So 15 teams have better record for >200 games (and some don't beat Calgary by very much at all - Montreal by less than 1%). I suppose the missing column is >200 games for the drafting team.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 11:15 AM   #42
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
You don't have (a) Markstrom and (b) a 1B goalie.

Why is that ? Markstrom's never played over 60 games and 4 of his last 6 seasons hes played under 50 games, closer to 30-40... it seems more than likely hes not a Kipper type that will ever be able to handle 70 games and increases the chance he gets injured and comes back not quite right as he did last season. He goes down are we hanging the season on Vlader ? Would make sense to have a 1B with his injury history imo.
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 11:19 AM   #43
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psytic View Post
I think the full body of work is relevant because it seems like it doesn't matter who is running the ship they cant seem to home grow and keep a goalie outside of Vernon. I dont know who is to blame but it seems like an organizational issue when its been that many decades.

Could be a coincidence that every regime has had the same issue but it seems like a problem none the less. Its almost reached 1C status for this team if we're looking at it through the years. It hasn't been as big an issue as they have been able to use picks or sign UFAs but still that's cap and picks that could be used some where else if they could actually draft and develop or hang onto one.
You certainly can.

To me that's not a practical analysis with all the changes over the course of the franchise; era, changes in scouting, changes in goaltending, equipment, scouts, GMs, heck even the Canadian dollar.

But I'm consistent the other way too ... just because Calgary drafted really well in the 9th round in the 80s I don't expect that to be a given in today's world.

So for me the current management group has drafted five goaltenders, and signed a free agent.

They have two complete wild card unknowns.
A current NHL backup.
A top prospect.
A bust
And a player that is trending towards bust.

I would imagine that would trend pretty close to the league average given the fact that their draft capital spent doesn't include any first rounders.

Just don't see this as a huge issue to me. Hopefully they're due for the next Vernon.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 11:23 AM   #44
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why is that ? Markstrom's never played over 60 games and 4 of his last 6 seasons hes played under 50 games... it seems more than likely hes not a Kipper type that will ever be able to handle 70 plus games and increases the chance he gets injured and comes back not quite right as he did last season. He goes down we hanging the season on Vlader ? Would make sense to have a 1B with his injury history imo.
Nah, you don't pay a goalie Markstrom's salary under the expectation of less than a full number one starting workload, no matter what his past has been.

2 of his last 4 seasons have been 60 out of 82 games (73%), which is pretty standard starter rotation, not 1A/1B stuff. The other two were short seasons where he played 43 games out of 69 (62%) and 56 (77%) respectively. Really, he's only been in a 1A-1B once in the last 4 years, and that was his last year in Vancouver (in which he started 14 games in the POs as well).

The two years before he was a backup to Miller, so they don't really count.
Old 08-30-2021, 11:30 AM   #45
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
You certainly can.

To me that's not a practical analysis with all the changes over the course of the franchise; era, changes in scouting, changes in goaltending, equipment, scouts, GMs, heck even the Canadian dollar.

But I'm consistent the other way too ... just because Calgary drafted really well in the 9th round in the 80s I don't expect that to be a given in today's world.

So for me the current management group has drafted five goaltenders, and signed a free agent.

They have two complete wild card unknowns.
A current NHL backup.
A top prospect.
A bust
And a player that is trending towards bust.

I would imagine that would trend pretty close to the league average given the fact that their draft capital spent doesn't include any first rounders.

Just don't see this as a huge issue to me. Hopefully they're due for the next Vernon.

I dont know some of the scouts have been here since the early 90s so its hard to say if its a false correlation or just one big coincidence through the regime changes. I dont know if its bad picks (i'm leaning no on this one) or they just continually hire former backup goalies to run the development team that have no idea what they are doing but it looks like there is a possible issue with development in my opinion personally. Not a huge issue like the 1C issue but still something that could be better.
Old 08-30-2021, 11:32 AM   #46
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Could have re-signed him if they thought he was a 1b. .
Only if he wanted to re-sign.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 11:33 AM   #47
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
I dont know some of the scouts have been here since the early 90s so its hard to say if its a false correlation or just one big coincidence through the regime changes. I dont know if its bad picks (i'm leaning no on this one) or they just continually hire former backup goalies to run the development team that have no idea what they are doing but it looks like there is a possible issue with development in my opinion personally. Not a huge issue like the 1C issue but still something that could be better.
Even that has been changed in the last calendar year with the staffing getting beefed up.

Honestly I don't know a thing about the quality of goalie development on the average NHL team or the Flames. You hear about goaltending coaches that make a difference, and we don't have one of them.

But Gillies having bad hips and Parsons having depression issues and all sorts of injury issues certainly put a dent in what could have been a franchise success story in net.

They certainly did well identifying and developing Rittich.

Hoping this isn't a thing.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 11:35 AM   #48
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
If I recall, the scouting team said they liked McDonald over Demko after seeing them at the U18. It does seem like this is a tournament the Flames amateur scouts rely on a lot as they’ve drafted a lot of players who havd had good showings there. I think Pelletier and Zary were actually linemates in Pelletiers draft year.

I remember Klimchuk also having a good tournament.

The Flames scouts might be putting too much into one tournament. Maybe for forwards they can but they shouldn’t be rating goalies based on a small sample size.
I've also wondered if Demko dropped in their opinion because they watched a lot of him at Boston College in his draft year while tracking Johnny's progress that season?

I watched a lot of their games and often came away unimpressed by what I had seen from Demko. Of course, I'm not a scout and never claimed to be a good evaluator of talent, so my opinion means nothing, but I wonder if it's something that could have had some influence? It's the whole familiarity breeds contempt thing.
Old 08-30-2021, 11:37 AM   #49
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Only if he wanted to re-sign.
Rittich wanted a chance to be a starter IMO. I can't see him (at that time) signing to play 15 games and taking the salary that goes with that assignment.

Now, as a UFA he probably had an awakening as to his market value and the open spots around the league, and he had to take the Nashville deal.
Old 08-30-2021, 11:47 AM   #50
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
So 15 teams have better record for >200 games (and some don't beat Calgary by very much at all - Montreal by less than 1%). I suppose the missing column is >200 games for the drafting team.

Well the Montreal number doesn’t make sense as 10% of 8 goalies drafted is 0.8 goalies. I will assume it’s 1 goalie that played 200+

From that list, it looks like about 41 goalies played 200+ games

It looks like 11 teams have multiples.

4 - Anaheim
3 - Ottawa, Winnipeg, LA
2 - Carolina, Chicago, Dallas, Detroit, STL, Tor, Was

Calgary is in the group with 1.

Then there are 5 teams with 0, according to that 2000-2014 sample

So there are 11 teams better, 5 worse, and the rest are in a pack with Calgary with 1 200 gamer,, though total draft choices vary
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 11:51 AM   #51
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Rittich wanted a chance to be a starter IMO. I can't see him (at that time) signing to play 15 games and taking the salary that goes with that assignment.

Now, as a UFA he probably had an awakening as to his market value and the open spots around the league, and he had to take the Nashville deal.

True.
Old 08-30-2021, 11:54 AM   #52
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Even that has been changed in the last calendar year with the staffing getting beefed up.

Honestly I don't know a thing about the quality of goalie development on the average NHL team or the Flames. You hear about goaltending coaches that make a difference, and we don't have one of them.

But Gillies having bad hips and Parsons having depression issues and all sorts of injury issues certainly put a dent in what could have been a franchise success story in net.

I agree. Really really hoping we hit a home run on Wolf. I wish we had a Mitch Korn type. Seems like everything else on the team its either adequate or slightly below average. I would like the Flames to be better though. You add up all the things they are merely adequate at and here we are as a bubble team year after year.
Old 08-30-2021, 11:59 AM   #53
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel as though Rittich is getting overrated here as a 1b goaltender. He had a couple of good stretches of games but IMO he still has a lot to prove. He is a placeholder backup for Nashville now, curious to see where his career goes.

The stories about them not liking his practice habits in 2020 makes me wonder if his good play is attributable less to development than raw talent. Impossible to know obviously.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 12:02 PM   #54
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I feel as though Rittich is getting overrated here as a 1b goaltender. He had a couple of good stretches of games but IMO he still has a lot to prove. He is a placeholder backup for Nashville now, curious to see where his career goes.

The stories about them not liking his practice habits in 2020 makes me wonder if his good play is attributable less to development than raw talent. Impossible to know obviously.

I don’t recall seeing this, did you have further info / links?
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 12:04 PM   #55
Gundo
First Line Centre

Exp:

*tries to remember his childhood*

Wasn’t Trevor Kidd good-ish but the team was horrible around him ? I was young and can’t remember.
Gundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 12:29 PM   #56
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Drafting goalies in the first 2 rounds is just plain stupid and wasting your pick IMO. Goalies are only as good as the team in front of them, really, except for Kipper of course (and the Flames never drafted him)
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 12:32 PM   #57
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think the nature of the goaltending position is that if a goalie plays 200+ games for one team, there isn't likely to be another goalie also playing that much for the same team in the same time period.

Look at the Sharks, between the 1994 and 1995 drafts they picked 3 goalies: Nabokov, Toskala, and Kipper. Each of them played 200+ NHL games, but only Nabokov did so with the Sharks.

Anaheim is another good example. From that list, they drafted 10 goalies, 4 played in the NHL and all 4 of them have played at least 200 games in the NHL. If you look into it, only one (Gibson) has played 200+ for the Ducks. The others were Bryzgalov, Gerber, and Andersen. Bryz and Gerber got stuck behind Giguere and were traded away. Andersen and Gibson shared the net pretty evenly in Anaheim, but they eventually decided to stick with Gibson and moved Andersen.

Since 2005, most teams have only had 1 or 2 goalies play 200+ for their team. Only Anaheim, San Jose, and Winnipeg/Atlanta have had 3 --- and only the Jethrashers drafted all 3 of theirs.
Old 08-30-2021, 12:33 PM   #58
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharp View Post
Drafting goalies in the first 2 rounds is just plain stupid and wasting your pick IMO. Goalies are only as good as the team in front of them, really, except for Kipper of course (and the Flames never drafted him)
Vasilevski, MAF and Price beg to differ.
Old 08-30-2021, 12:50 PM   #59
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Yeah. I still don't mind the Gillies or Parsons picks. I feel like those two were good goalies that have had their careers derailed for other issues.

The bad pick was McDonald. Making him the first pick ahead of Demko was always a mistake.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 01:19 PM   #60
JackIsBack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh2640 View Post
🤞🤞🤞 Dustin Wolf. Parsons is a bust. But if Wolf is a bust then yea we should never ever draft a Goalie ever again.

I've had a feeling ever since we drafted Wolf that we got a diamond in the 7th round... I think he'll be great and I can't wait to see him in an actual Flames game. For me, he was our best pick of 2019 and I think the Flames are realizing this fact, he is our highest paid goalie prospect. I know people here ranked Pelletier in 3rd place who was also drafted in 2019... but Wolf, our 7th round pick is right behind him ranked 4th.
JackIsBack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JackIsBack For This Useful Post:

Tags
edmonton is no good