Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2024, 09:44 AM   #21
traptor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

No rush with Kuz.

See how it pans out next year and what the offers are.

No way I sign him for longer then 2 years given where we're at and our other contracts.

Bot sure why people want to sign more old forwards long term.
People realize we're in 25th and have missed playoffs for two years in a row right?
traptor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to traptor For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2024, 09:51 AM   #22
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

People realize Kuzmenko might be good though right?
Let’s say he turns into a perennial 40 goal scorer for the next 4 years. I don’t care how old he is, we still need 40 goal scorers.
Old 04-10-2024, 10:00 AM   #23
Leondros
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Get some picks for him next year, keep him on the PP and pump his numbers. Profit.
Leondros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 10:09 AM   #24
ozzy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
Kuzmenko is the real deal
I thought that was James Neal
ozzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 10:13 AM   #25
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

I think a contract around 4 years gives the best potential opportunity for the franchise to maximize the asset

If he lights it up next year, he’s a UFA and his justification for contract demands the Flames won’t want to meet will be stronger, and he is then a rental for the acquiring team if he is traded

If they see a high skill player that they can sign to a good deal now (due to negotiating position - some good will on the side of the player and also some uncertainty after the end of his Vancouver experience), I think there is a good argument it makes sense now

That if course is based on what they are seeing and projecting

The skill level is unique. This isn’t contract year Andrew Mangiapane we are talking about
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2024, 10:15 AM   #26
FlamesAreOne
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What was our PP% prior and with Kuzy?
FlamesAreOne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 10:21 AM   #27
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
I think a contract around 4 years gives the best potential opportunity for the franchise to maximize the asset

If he lights it up next year, he’s a UFA and his justification for contract demands the Flames won’t want to meet will be stronger, and he is then a rental for the acquiring team if he is traded

If they see a high skill player that they can sign to a good deal now (due to negotiating position - some good will on the side of the player and also some uncertainty after the end of his Vancouver experience), I think there is a good argument it makes sense now

That if course is based on what they are seeing and projecting

The skill level is unique. This isn’t contract year Andrew Mangiapane we are talking about
I think the return on a productive Kuzmenko will do more for the rebuild than Kuzmenko himself.

I'm not a trade everyone guy, but he's a supplementary player with skill not currently supplementing anyone as the core pieces aren't here yet.

Not the end of the world to sign him and then if he steps back a bit next year as they have the cap space if the term isn't too long.

But then hopefully the deal doesn't have a NMC so they can still trade the contract.
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2024, 10:44 AM   #28
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
But like. The dude will be 29 when his current contract is up. What business do the Flames have offering a 29-year-old a long-term contract when they don't currently have anything resembling a core?

This is a clear-cut pump-and-dump situation. The Flames aren't a full Kuzmenko season away from the Cup, or even making the playoffs. They need to be bottoming out.
There is a lot of wiggle room between long-term contract and pump-and-dump. The OP suggested 4 years, I think if you can get a two-year deal, that's optimal, but anything between 2 and 4 years is fine.

I agree with Bingo that you don't have to do it in the summer - we have too small of a sample size on him. Let's see what he looks like for the first 40 games of next season, and then assess.

But as FBI and others have said, there might be a really good player there - no need to immediately hit the pump-and-dump button every time someone plays well. His addition to the PP has made it dangerous for the first time in 2 years or more. We ask/expect STHs to cough up large sums of money every year, to support a team that we want to have here at home, so let's at least give them some entertainment once in a while.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2024, 10:47 AM   #29
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAreOne View Post
What was our PP% prior and with Kuzy?
Pre-Kuzmenko: 13.8%, 29th OA
With Kuzmenko: 23.9%, 11th OA
Old 04-10-2024, 10:50 AM   #30
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's another way to look at Kuzmenko: we can probably sign him for similar money to Mangiapane. Then trade Mangiapane.

One body, same price, more interesting player. Doesn't stand int he way of the rebuild.
Old 04-10-2024, 10:53 AM   #31
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Pre-Kuzmenko: 13.8%, 29th OA
With Kuzmenko: 23.9%, 11th OA
To put this another way...

Pre-Kuzmenko: 18 PP goals in 49 games

With Kuzmenko: 20 PP goals in 28 games
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2024, 10:53 AM   #32
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
There is a lot of wiggle room between long-term contract and pump-and-dump. The OP suggested 4 years, I think if you can get a two-year deal, that's optimal, but anything between 2 and 4 years is fine.

I agree with Bingo that you don't have to do it in the summer - we have too small of a sample size on him. Let's see what he looks like for the first 40 games of next season, and then assess.

But as FBI and others have said, there might be a really good player there - no need to immediately hit the pump-and-dump button every time someone plays well. His addition to the PP has made it dangerous for the first time in 2 years or more. We ask/expect STHs to cough up large sums of money every year, to support a team that we want to have here at home, so let's at least give them some entertainment once in a while.

I agree and will make a statement that is a bit more blunt

Remember, plan A wasn’t to fail to sign good players and then trade them at the deadline as rentals

What Conroy said was that if a key player wasn’t going to sign, he would be traded, he would not be lost for nothing

It doesn’t seem that nuance landed with the armchair GMs saying they should pump and dump

A skill player on a good contract has way more value than a pending UFA
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2024, 10:55 AM   #33
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The problem with Kuzmenko is his 200 foot game, his Flames stats pro rated over a season are 64 points and a -34. Doesn't matter I suppose on a rebuilding team but that's the reason Vancouver got rid of him.
Old 04-10-2024, 11:03 AM   #34
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icantwhisper View Post
The problem with Kuzmenko is his 200 foot game, his Flames stats pro rated over a season are 64 points and a -34. Doesn't matter I suppose on a rebuilding team but that's the reason Vancouver got rid of him.
If you want to use +- as an argument, here are some numbers since Kuzy joined:

Weegar: -8
Backlund: -8
Kuzmenko: -10
Sharangovich: -11
Andersson: -13
Huberdeau: -13

It's a team stat.

His expected goals against per 60 were posted above and were just fine
Old 04-10-2024, 11:06 AM   #35
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
People realize Kuzmenko might be good though right?
Let’s say he turns into a perennial 40 goal scorer for the next 4 years. I don’t care how old he is, we still need 40 goal scorers.
You also need some skill and a reason to watch...will also boost other players numbers, potentially guys who will be traded at some point
Old 04-10-2024, 11:11 AM   #36
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah they got rid of him in a trade they will regret for years to come
Old 04-10-2024, 11:59 AM   #37
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Exactly what is wrong with that for a team who aims to lose a bunch of games and secure a high pick?
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 12:06 PM   #38
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Exactly what is wrong with that for a team who aims to lose a bunch of games and secure a high pick?
As per my post "Doesn't matter I suppose on a rebuilding team but that's the reason Vancouver got rid of him."

But if you plan on flipping him to a contender next year, those teams will look at his 200 ft game and how it fits into their system when deciding the return they are willing to part with.
Old 04-10-2024, 12:08 PM   #39
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Yeah they got rid of him in a trade they will regret for years to come
Agreed, but giving away Kuzmenko isn't the part they will regret
Old 04-10-2024, 12:21 PM   #40
konradical
Farm Team Player

Exp:

If Kuzmenko willing to sign a mid term deal with a decent cap hit i dont see why we need to trade him. I assume we are trading Mang and Marky at some point next season.

He is fun to watch and can help the younger guys learn from him whether that is the powerplay or shooting.

We dont need to trade every single player for the sake of trading them
konradical is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to konradical For This Useful Post: