Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2019, 11:24 AM   #1841
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://calgaryherald.com/opinion/co...enator-ghitter

Op Ed in the Herald today from Ron Ghitter, former MLA and former Senator.

Thoughts?

Quote:
We are the victims of a dysfunctional confederation exhibiting an underlying hypocrisy that pervades our political processes that Alberta is seemingly helpless to overcome.

I am not suggesting separation. I am too much of a Canadian to ever propose such a measure. But I do suggest that we take steps to take more control within our borders and face the realities of Alberta in the 21st century.

Firstly, it is time to immediately renegotiate our equalization agreement or opt out of it and take the heat.

Secondly, we should take over immigration powers within the province.

Thirdly, we should take over our own income tax system and thereby control our own financial destiny.

Fourthly, we should examine every policy intertwined with the federal government and remove ourselves from them wherever possible. This includes everything from French on our corn flakes packages and elsewhere and positioning our securities and stock exchange institutions to become independent of federal controls.

We have learned from bitter experience that we cannot depend on Ottawa to be respectful of our needs and aspirations.

And within our province, we must “bite the bullet” and implement a sales tax (the fairest of all taxes) where the revenues are solely directed at reducing our debt. We can no longer anticipate the flow of energy revenues and to be the only jurisdiction in Canada without such a tax sends out the wrong message.

The time has come to stand on our own two feet. Ottawa hardly knows we exist other than as a source of revenue to feed its voracious appetite.

Enough is enough.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:48 AM   #1842
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Sad to read, but Alberta's not the only ones that are probably feeling that way. BC and Quebec have continually ignored the current setup of the Constitution, Saskatchewan is picking fights with the Federal Government as well.

Its probably time that Canada redefines provincial powers, the original Constitution was put in place to build a country that needed strong Federal Powers, at this point the world has changed and the Federal Government is either ineffective or just plain can't build consensus, which is becoming a impossible task.

We're not as strong of a nation as we were, and that's to be expected, we're a collection of regional interests that don't get along all that well.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 12:38 PM   #1843
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've had an idea to expand on the carbon tax and to make it beneficial to Alberta, but I'm no politician.

Set up carbon checkstops at one of our borders to see if this idea will work (say... BC first and go from there). If the vehicle has departed from BC, is registered to a BC address and cannot prove they have paid into AB's carbon tax through a gas receipt, they should be slapped with a levy.

Why should Albertans tax only themselves when we are allowing other provinces (especially holier than thou BC) to damage our environment tax free? If BC wants to use our roads and emit carbon on Albertan land they should have to pay to do so.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 12:59 PM   #1844
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
I've had an idea to expand on the carbon tax and to make it beneficial to Alberta, but I'm no politician.

Set up carbon checkstops at one of our borders to see if this idea will work (say... BC first and go from there). If the vehicle has departed from BC, is registered to a BC address and cannot prove they have paid into AB's carbon tax through a gas receipt, they should be slapped with a levy.

Why should Albertans tax only themselves when we are allowing other provinces (especially holier than thou BC) to damage our environment tax free? If BC wants to use our roads and emit carbon on Albertan land they should have to pay to do so.

I've talked about that before.

But there are a couple of problems, I'm pretty sure that BC would probably sue us because it limits cross border transport of goods.

Also if you did that you would have to apply that for everything and as it stands currently imports are carbon tax exempt, we've pretty much hurt the competitive balance of local products.

Third of all, it would be tremendously expensive because you'd have to put inspection points at every road.

Old 02-02-2019, 02:10 PM   #1845
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I've talked about that before.

But there are a couple of problems, I'm pretty sure that BC would probably sue us because it limits cross border transport of goods.

Also if you did that you would have to apply that for everything and as it stands currently imports are carbon tax exempt, we've pretty much hurt the competitive balance of local products.

Third of all, it would be tremendously expensive because you'd have to put inspection points at every road.
I see where you're coming from and totally agree it would probably cause BC to sue us, however from my highly biased point of view is that it isnt limiting border crossing of goods any more than blocking pipelines in the name of the environment. Vehicles leaving BC have other options than driving through AB, the states has many roads they could use as well. We would have to price it so that it's still attractive to use ABs roads however.

Maybe a yearly carbon licence for transport companies, and yearly licences or one time fees for personal travelers. Maybe $50-$100 one time fee and $10000-$20000 per year per truck for a business.

It would be expensive to install for sure but for example the trans canada border crossing could utilize the banff park access point already in service.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 08:00 PM   #1846
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
I see where you're coming from and totally agree it would probably cause BC to sue us, however from my highly biased point of view is that it isnt limiting border crossing of goods any more than blocking pipelines in the name of the environment. Vehicles leaving BC have other options than driving through AB, the states has many roads they could use as well. We would have to price it so that it's still attractive to use ABs roads however.

Both actions are under Federal Powers. Both blocking the pipeline and blocking or tarriffing vehicles to and from BC are breaking constitutional law. You want to see Rage, put the block in place and watch the Federals come down hard on Alberta.

Quote:
Maybe a yearly carbon licence for transport companies, and yearly licences or one time fees for personal travelers. Maybe $50-$100 one time fee and $10000-$20000 per year per truck for a business.

I doubt it would survive the lawsuit filed by those companies and the BC government.

Quote:
It would be expensive to install for sure but for example the trans canada border crossing could utilize the banff park access point already in service.

I said that we need to up our inspection points and fine BC vehicles for everything that's the least bit fineable.

Old 02-02-2019, 09:27 PM   #1847
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
https://calgaryherald.com/opinion/co...enator-ghitter

Op Ed in the Herald today from Ron Ghitter, former MLA and former Senator.

Thoughts?
I think a lot of that is just pointless grandstanding, or maybe an old man yelling at a cloud. Taking French off our packaging isn’t accomplishing anything. And when I read about the financial system I wonder how he thinks the securities arm currently operates in Alberta? We have a separate securities commission here, so mission accomplished I guess? And for the record, that’s one of the things that absolutely should be changed to make things easier in Canada; just have one federal securities regulator and call it a day.

Anyway, some of his other points are interesting, but have largely been brought up before.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 02:24 PM   #1848
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Sad to read, but Alberta's not the only ones that are probably feeling that way. BC and Quebec have continually ignored the current setup of the Constitution, Saskatchewan is picking fights with the Federal Government as well.

Its probably time that Canada redefines provincial powers, the original Constitution was put in place to build a country that needed strong Federal Powers, at this point the world has changed and the Federal Government is either ineffective or just plain can't build consensus, which is becoming a impossible task.

We're not as strong of a nation as we were, and that's to be expected, we're a collection of regional interests that don't get along all that well.
I actually think the opposite is true. I'm pretty right wing/conservative/libertarian but I think there is too much regional power and the feds need to step in more and centralize things so that regional issues don't destroy projects or whatever.

There shouldn't be regional gaming and liquor boards. Health care should be nationalized and standardized across all provinces. Maybe even education should be federally mandated although I'm not sure about that one.

What the feds need to be doing is unifying the regions and promoting cooperation instead of segregating regions and creating division.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 02:32 PM   #1849
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its -40 out yet I am paying carbon tax for the wasteful heating of my home
Old 02-04-2019, 02:35 PM   #1850
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Neither does me recycling yet my blue bin is full.
you got all that #### out of your house though...fyi a large chunk of it will end up in the landfill
Old 02-04-2019, 03:01 PM   #1851
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I actually think the opposite is true. I'm pretty right wing/conservative/libertarian but I think there is too much regional power and the feds need to step in more and centralize things so that regional issues don't destroy projects or whatever.

There shouldn't be regional gaming and liquor boards. Health care should be nationalized and standardized across all provinces. Maybe even education should be federally mandated although I'm not sure about that one.

What the feds need to be doing is unifying the regions and promoting cooperation instead of segregating regions and creating division.

I guess, but it will never work unless Quebec is willing to give up being a distinct society within Canada.

Old 02-04-2019, 03:04 PM   #1852
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post

Not sure how more power for the Feds is going to make anything better for Alberta. Unless they change how elections go and Alberta (or anywhere that doesn't currently matter) have equal say.

Otherwise its just more pandering to the voting power.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 03:48 PM   #1853
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Not sure how more power for the Feds is going to make anything better for Alberta. Unless they change how elections go and Alberta (or anywhere that doesn't currently matter) have equal say.

Otherwise its just more pandering to the voting power.
Would more power for the provinces help us in our current conundrum either though? I mean a piece of the issue (if not the main problem) is that a small group is holding everything up. That only gets worse with decentralization.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 03:55 PM   #1854
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Would more power for the provinces help us in our current conundrum either though? I mean a piece of the issue (if not the main problem) is that a small group is holding everything up. That only gets worse with decentralization.
Far less tax dollars going to Ottawa would absolutely help Alberta.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 04:17 PM   #1855
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
you got all that #### out of your house though...fyi a large chunk of it will end up in the landfill
And yet I do it anyways, because it's better than nothing. And if no one had the attitude that they could make a difference, however minor, then nothing will change. But something needs to change.

No single drop of rain thinks it's responsible for the flood.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2019, 07:23 PM   #1856
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah, the recycling analogy really doesn't make any sense when there's no externalities to you recycling. It's very Canadian though to think we're making a difference or any of the big boys give half a #### what we do or don't do.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 03:46 AM   #1857
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not a good look for Toor if even partially true.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 06:19 AM   #1858
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oooohh, nonono, the position was assistant to the manager, not assistant manager. Now go scrub that toilet.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:57 AM   #1859
Envitro
First Line Centre

Exp:

If it's true, shady AF. Almost like modern-day slave trade, like Dubai.
Envitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 10:21 AM   #1860
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
And yet I do it anyways, because it's better than nothing. And if no one had the attitude that they could make a difference, however minor, then nothing will change. But something needs to change.

No single drop of rain thinks it's responsible for the flood.
Thanks Captain Planet