Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2020, 02:46 PM   #1
Dentoman
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Mayfair Care Centre - Long Term Care

Just wondering if anyone has any firsthand knowledge of Mayfair Care Centre (14th St and Heritage Drive SW).
My Mom is transferring there next week after her stay and assessment at Foothills. She had to leave her assisted living place due to a need for increased care.
Since she is transferring from hospital, we don't get a choice to where she goes (I say we, because she her early dementia has resulted in her POA being activated).
The location is good for our family. Unfortunately with Covid restrictions, we are unable to see her place beforehand and she will be quarantined for 2 weeks after her arrival so visits are out. We also couldn't visit her for her 3 weeks at FMC.
Just looking for some info if it is out there. Thanks
Dentoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 03:01 PM   #2
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven’t heard great things about Mayfair. A family friend with dementia was placed there a few months ago, but his kids and wife transferred him. I don’t know the specifics, but they weren’t happy with the care.

We had considered Mayfair for my dad because it’s convenient. But after hearing that, and a few other comments over the years from people in the area, we’re glad dad is elsewhere.

I know it’s tough when you don’t have much say in where a parent ends up. We heard good things from people in the system about Intercare Southland and Intercare Chinook, and were relieved when my dad was placed in one of those facilities. We’re very happy with his care there.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 11-20-2020 at 04:01 PM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2020, 03:30 PM   #3
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I don't think I got to visit Mayfair - I have seen most in the NW.

My parents both received good care at Brentwood with private rooms (only complaint being the food):
https://www.intercarealberta.com/brentwood-care-centre/

Bowcrest is not as nice, but had better food:
https://reveraliving.com/en/live-wit...gary/bow-crest
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2020, 04:34 PM   #4
Dentoman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Thanks for the replies.
Mayfair was not on our top 5 list.
Since she was transferred from hospital with no choice of where she ended up, she does get to move up the wait list of her top 5 five.
Brentwood and Bowcrest are in her top 5
Old 11-20-2020, 04:57 PM   #5
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have not heard anything good about Mayfair Care Centre. I spoke to someone whose parent was placed in there and there were some horror stories for sure. However; I did hear that the ownership of it might have changed not long ago, so, perhaps, for the better?
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2020, 12:26 AM   #6
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

When my Mom ended up in hospital from her assisted living home the hospital tried to bully us and say that we had no choice where she went which we thankfully learned at the time wasn’t true. There were lots of stories in the news around the same time of hospitals threatening families that if they didn’t accept the placement the hospital would start charging $100/day (or more) for her to stay there. This happened to us. The only places that had rooms supposedly were the absolute worst of the worst. The government ended up stepping in and stopped that practice. We told them we wouldn’t accept the placement and shortly after that she was sent to the continuing complex care rehab hospital here. At that point unfortunately she was very close to the end of her life and that’s where she passed away.

The treatment of elderly in this country is despicable. Long term care being turned over to for profit companies was the beginning of the end for decent elder care unless you are very well off!

Chartwell is the top of my list of heinous providers. The assisted living place they were was very nice for a couple of years. Once Chartwell bought it, the change in services, care, food and environment was almost instant.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bigtmac19 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2020, 03:44 AM   #7
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I do not have first-hand experience with that Mayfair. However a couple years ago when my mom and her siblings were looking for a care facility for my Grandmother they did go check out this place as it was on their short list. They ended up choosing a place in Millrise instead. Not sure if that is indicative of how Mayfair was, but to me that says there are better options.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2020, 06:17 PM   #8
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there such a thing as a good long term care centre in Calgary?

My wife's folks were in 4 of them in 6 years before they passed and every one of them made me sick, and don't get me started on how much they cost.

I told my kids if I ever need such a place just drop me off next to a high bridge and say goodbye!
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2020, 07:07 PM   #9
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

My mom lived at Bethany care in the NW when she passed away. Place seemed alright. We meet yearly with the staff for an update at there were several staff that were there for 5 plus years.

My mom also lived in a place in Evanston that may now be 7 yrs old that seemed nice. My mom had Alzheimer’s/dementia so she was unable to communicate much.

My parents also lived in a place in arbour lake, that was ok as well.

LTC is expensive.
Old 11-21-2020, 07:16 PM   #10
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I don't think I got to visit Mayfair - I have seen most in the NW.

My parents both received good care at Brentwood with private rooms (only complaint being the food):
https://www.intercarealberta.com/brentwood-care-centre/

Bowcrest is not as nice, but had better food:
https://reveraliving.com/en/live-wit...gary/bow-crest
food is a huge deal in long term care, it is easily, assuming there isnt abuse or neglect, the most important aspect of the residents life (it is also, unfortunetly the hardest part for a home to do well)
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2020, 04:48 PM   #11
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
food is a huge deal in long term care, it is easily, assuming there isnt abuse or neglect, the most important aspect of the residents life (it is also, unfortunetly the hardest part for a home to do well)

So true. At that stage meals are about the only thing the residents look forward to. Again the meals at my parents assisted living facility were decent until Chartwell bought the place.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 04:26 PM   #12
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Nm

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 12-18-2020 at 08:04 AM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 04:52 PM   #13
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

My parents have started thinking about moving to a assisted living facility, they're getting older, and my mom is degenerating.

So they've been reaching out, to evaluate and all of these facilities are sending over meal samples. And for the most part my parents have been giving the food quality a pretty big thumbs down.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 12:57 PM   #14
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
My parents have started thinking about moving to a assisted living facility, they're getting older, and my mom is degenerating.

So they've been reaching out, to evaluate and all of these facilities are sending over meal samples. And for the most part my parents have been giving the food quality a pretty big thumbs down.
If the sample food they're sending to prospective residents is bad I can't imagine the "regular day" meals. You'd think they'd put their best foot forward for new potential customers.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2020, 03:27 PM   #15
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
If the sample food they're sending to prospective residents is bad I can't imagine the "regular day" meals. You'd think they'd put their best foot forward for new potential customers.
The problem is the food isnt bad so much as bland, it is cooked by institutionally trained cooks and has to be easily digested and adhere to a wider range of dietary requirements than most, it also has to be soft so as to be easy to physically eat as well, to find a cook that can do this and make the food interesting is a nightmare.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2021, 09:18 PM   #16
Dentoman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Just wanted to follow up on my original post.
My siblings and I have been very happy with our Mom’s care at Mayfair. The staff has been very responsive to her needs and the communication has been very good. They did not have a major COVID outbreak.
With visiting restrictions now lifted, I have finally been able to go inside and check it out. The main areas all appear to have been recently renovated. There is an abundance of natural light. My Mom shares a room that has a very large window that looks out onto the courtyard. The grounds are well taken care of and have lots of flowers and baskets.
My Mom seems to be very happy there. She says the food is good and the staff is friendly.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dentoman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2021, 09:28 PM   #17
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dentoman View Post
Just wanted to follow up on my original post.
My siblings and I have been very happy with our Mom’s care at Mayfair. The staff has been very responsive to her needs and the communication has been very good. They did not have a major COVID outbreak.
With visiting restrictions now lifted, I have finally been able to go inside and check it out. The main areas all appear to have been recently renovated. There is an abundance of natural light. My Mom shares a room that has a very large window that looks out onto the courtyard. The grounds are well taken care of and have lots of flowers and baskets.
My Mom seems to be very happy there. She says the food is good and the staff is friendly.
Awesome!
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2021, 10:28 PM   #18
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

We've decided on Garrison Green for my parents and are in the steps of getting them in.

They've checked a lot of boxes, low turnover on the staff (Its important). When I've talked to staff members they seem happy and involved. Checked the food menu, and its good and varied. The apartments are spacious and modern, and clean. The bathrooms have all of the gadgets to protect older folks from falls. There's a ton of activities, from physical to art to theatre stuff,

Its a little more expensive, but its our as kids turns to take care of our parents.

The other thing is that they coordinate with AHS on memory programs and supportive programs for dementia.

Its also within 10 minutes of my house.

This has been some of the toughest months of my life as we've been convincing my parents that this is the best way for them to keep control and stay together as long as possible and reduce their stress levels, and have an easier life (no cooking or cleaning, be able to make friends and be less lonely. Its caused massive arguments in the family, and some rifts that will probably not be repaired for a while.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post: