Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2020, 12:34 PM   #1
Knut

Exp:
Default When will next season start? Return to Play Negotiations

https://twitter.com/user/status/1329134692428345350

https://twitter.com/RealKyper/status...428345350?s=20

https://twitter.com/user/status/1329141245835415553

https://twitter.com/NHLRumorsDaily/s...835415553?s=20

News is starting to leak out regarding a potential start date. This week is very important as the meeting between the NHL and NHLPA is scheduled with the NHL asking the PA to take a pay cut to play a shortened season. Hope they can come to some sort of compromise.

Last edited by Knut; 11-18-2020 at 10:14 PM.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2020, 12:57 PM   #2
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Very much a rock and a hard place situation for the players. I get why they would be upset considering the deal they agreed to was done with what seemed like pretty full knowledge of what this season was going to look like.

But if they dispute money, during a pandemic, they'll be roasted publicly and look no better than the baseball players did this past summer.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2020, 12:58 PM   #3
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if the news that mass vaccinations may begin before the new year will make the players just want to wait it out to see if there can be a season with fewer restrictions, or heck, even some fans in the stands to increase revenues.
Old 11-18-2020, 01:08 PM   #4
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I've been searching for a thread like this. Its been far too quiet on the "NHL restart" front.

NBA has been moving on theirs for a while now and look like they have a set plan in place. Very odd to see the NHL be so silent as they are typically on the same type of schedule.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 01:17 PM   #5
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyshep View Post
I've been searching for a thread like this. Its been far too quiet on the "NHL restart" front.

NBA has been moving on theirs for a while now and look like they have a set plan in place. Very odd to see the NHL be so silent as they are typically on the same type of schedule.

TV contract money. The NBA's is worth a ton more than the NHL's. Plus, there is a lot more expenses for NHL teams.
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 01:20 PM   #6
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the players don't give up a bit more, I don't see how teams like Arizona survive this.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 02:01 PM   #7
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh this is going to go well.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 02:02 PM   #8
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
If the players don't give up a bit more, I don't see how teams like Arizona survive this.
Arizona should have been relocated a long time ago.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2020, 02:03 PM   #9
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its been a hard month with no hockey. No hockey in November is a cold desolate wasteland where the only good thing to hold out for is new mandalorian episodes. And there's 7 days to kill in between. I'm all movied out, I'm all done binging re runs of my favorite shows. I refuse to go out during this pandemic. I want to go to a gym but thats doubling the risk.

This sucks, hard.

Get camps rolling at least. Who cares how long a camp is, just give us something. Theres still a ton of FA work to do, cap managing.... yet crickets.

Ah well, back to staring blankly at this wall.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2020, 02:28 PM   #10
Redliner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Very much a rock and a hard place situation for the players. I get why they would be upset considering the deal they agreed to was done with what seemed like pretty full knowledge of what this season was going to look like.
I think when they were negotiating previously there was still some expectation (or hope anyway) that this season would have at least some fan attendance. With the NHL being such a gate-driven league, it is easy to understand why owners are hesitant about the possibility of having to float the cost of playing an entire season (albeit a shortened one) with very little revenue coming in.

The only reason we even got playoffs done was because of the bubble system, and pretty much everyone has already agreed that the bubble isn't sustainable for an entire season.

I hope they can work something out. Having no hockey at this time of year sucks.
"There will be a short outage tonight sometime between 11:00PM and 1:00AM as network upgrades are performed. Please do not panic and overthrow society. Thank you."
Redliner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Redliner For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2020, 02:31 PM   #11
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redliner View Post
I think when they were negotiating previously there was still some expectation (or hope anyway) that this season would have at least some fan attendance. With the NHL being such a gate-driven league, it is easy to understand why owners are hesitant about the possibility of having to float the cost of playing an entire season (albeit a shortened one) with very little revenue coming in.

The only reason we even got playoffs done was because of the bubble system, and pretty much everyone has already agreed that the bubble isn't sustainable for an entire season.

I hope they can work something out. Having no hockey at this time of year sucks.
And the fact they had to complete the season to satisfy TV contract commitments so they could keep their money they were paid.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 02:42 PM   #12
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redliner View Post

Well said. A season where the owners front the players an amount equal to 80% of an enormously inflated cap makes little sense. Certainly the players must realize this.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2020, 02:44 PM   #13
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I honestly think the league is being quite fair to the players.

With this they still get paid ~60% of their salaries, with another 19% being deferred, and 21% going to escrow (will never be seen) even though they are likely just going to play 60% of the season.

Owners could just trigger the pro-ration clause that's supposidely in the CBA and just have to pay the pro-rated portion of the salary anyways so don't see how the league is being unfair here.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2020, 03:09 PM   #15
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm still uncertain how the NHL can resume outside of the bubble. It's a gate driven league and we aren't remotely close to the point where fans in meaningful quantities will be able to attend games. I can't imagine the TV deals will be nearly enough to cover operating costs and player salaries.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2020, 03:12 PM   #16
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I'm still uncertain how the NHL can resume outside of the bubble. It's a gate driven league and we aren't remotely close to the point where fans in meaningful quantities will be able to attend games. I can't imagine the TV deals will be nearly enough to cover operating costs and player salaries.
Well it depends what player salaries are. They are supposed to directly correlate to hockey revenues.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2020, 03:13 PM   #17
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Players have no leverage here. If there aren't going to be fans in the stands then the owners are going to take a beating, wouldn't be surprised if it would be cheaper for them to cancel the season.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2020, 03:14 PM   #18
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Well it depends what player salaries are. They are supposed to directly correlate to hockey revenues.
In theory yes but it that were true then escrow would be 50%+, they capped it at 20% so the owners are going to have to swallow the losses.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 03:28 PM   #19
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
Players have no leverage here. If there aren't going to be fans in the stands then the owners are going to take a beating, wouldn't be surprised if it would be cheaper for them to cancel the season.
And I doubt there would be the ability to have fans until sometime into spring, by the time enough people are able to get one of the vaccines.
and even then, how many people would they be willing to allow into an arena?

feel bad for the players, but the league is screwed. If I was an owner, I'd want to cancel the season instead of pouring so many millions into a hole.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2020, 03:35 PM   #20
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

They should skip this season. Come back in Oct 2021.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post: