Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2020, 01:16 AM   #621
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ep: 4 was great when they were talking about the outer rim and control and they said the Galactic Empire couldn't do anything about it so why does the Rebel Forces (.. mistype on exact reference) think they can do anything about which harkened to many posts by you CaptainCrunch.

Edit for exact:
“They should leave the Outer Rim alone. If the Empire couldn’t settle it, what makes them think they can?”

Seriously, so good. You have the Rebels interrogating and intimidating.

Each scene has so much nostalgia and craft to it that is true to the original trilogy. A++

Last edited by calgarywinning; 11-21-2020 at 01:46 AM.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarywinning For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2020, 09:09 AM   #622
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
Ep: 4 was great when they were talking about the outer rim and control and they said the Galactic Empire couldn't do anything about it so why does the Rebel Forces (.. mistype on exact reference) think they can do anything about which harkened to many posts by you CaptainCrunch.

Edit for exact:
“They should leave the Outer Rim alone. If the Empire couldn’t settle it, what makes them think they can?”

Seriously, so good. You have the Rebels interrogating and intimidating.

Each scene has so much nostalgia and craft to it that is true to the original trilogy. A++
Frankly there's a link to the old concept of colonialism. The outer rim is resource rich, the inner rim isn't. The inner rim or cold worlds have always seen the outer rim as exploitable. Its also why the New Republic turned a blind eye on smuggler, slavery etc.

The core worlds had a completely un equal and dishonest view of how the galaxy really worked. Its why the Republic really fell so quickly after the Clone Wars.

The Empire had a great selling story to the outer rim, everyone in Star Wars talks about the Tarkin Doctrine as this terrifying statement of using fear to keep the citizens of the empire in line. But when you look at it, it made sense, and was a great piece of propaganda that the outer rim probably ate with a spoon.

Quote:
The factor that contributed most to the demise of the Republic was not, in fact, the war, but rampant self-interest. Endemic to the political process our ancestors engineered, the insidious pursuit of self-enrichment grew only more pervasive through the long centuries, and in the end left the body politic feckless and corrupt. Consider the self-interest of the Core Worlds, unwavering in their exploitation of the Outer Systems for resources; the Outer Systems themselves, undermined by their permissive disregard of smuggling and slavery; those ambitious members of the Senate who sought only status and opportunity.
Quote:
n the contrary, he has been tireless in his devotion to unify the galaxy and assure the well-being of its myriad populations. Now, with the institution of sector and oversector governance, we are in the unique position to repay our debt to the Emperor for his decades of selfless service, by lifting some of the burden of quotidian rulership from his shoulders. By partitioning the galaxy into regions, we actually achieve a unity previously absent; where once our loyalties and allegiances were divided, they now serve one being, with one goal: a cohesive galaxy in which everyone prospers. For the first time in one thousand generations our sector governors will not be working solely to enrich Coruscant and the Core Worlds, but to advance the quality of life in the star systems that make up each sector-keeping the spaceways safe, maintaining open and accessible communications, assuring that tax revenues are properly levied and allocated to improving the infrastructure. The Senate will likewise be made up of beings devoted not to their own enrichment, but to the enrichment of the worlds they represent.
I mean when you look at it, the whole idea of the Rebellion was based around rising up against tyranny and the suppression of individual worlds etc. But you look at what happened when the Empire fell, the outer rim went back to atrophy, slavers stepped in again, and why, for the mines and resources.

As much as the Empire was horrifying and run by a Evil/Not Evil despot, the Rebellion were people deluded by this glorified vision of the good old days, of freedom, of one being one vote. When in truth the Republic was corrupt, uncaring unless you had money, and your vote really only counted if your world was rich and in the core.

I wouldn't have been surprised if the New Republic had evolved into being a clumsy version of the Empire in the outer rim.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 11-21-2020 at 09:12 AM.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2020, 10:34 AM   #623
Duruss
Scoring Winger

Exp:

That was fun! Laughed hard at Mando throwing the storm trooper off the landing platform and again at him using his own cape to clean up baby Yoda's vomit.

Also Kim's Convenience X-wing pilot hinted at the First Order! "Somethings happening out here".
Duruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 10:38 AM   #624
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duruss View Post
That was fun! Laughed hard at Mando throwing the storm trooper off the landing platform and again at him using his own cape to clean up baby Yoda's vomit.

Also Kim's Convenience X-wing pilot hinted at the First Order! "Somethings happening out here".
Say what you will about some of the questionable decisions or choices for this season but so far I think they are knocking this show out of the park.

I want an entire episode of Kim's Convenience X-Wing Pilot as he meanders around the Outer Rim.

He is some mix of elite fighter pilot and hapless gumshoe?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2020, 11:47 AM   #625
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Him and Filoni in a buddy cop/star fighter thing.

Filoni - "Tie Fighters at 3:00!"

Kim - "I'm too old for this ####"

Old 11-21-2020, 09:02 PM   #626
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Him and Filoni in a buddy cop/star fighter thing.

Filoni - "Tie Fighters at 3:00!"

Kim - "I'm too old for this #### What you talking? They do sneak attack??"
fixed
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2020, 12:53 AM   #627
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Evil theory

Spoiler!

Old 11-22-2020, 06:27 AM   #628
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree that Baby Yoda will probably be captured and have his blood taken. However, I don't think that will kill him.

As for Ashoka, I think she'll have become a force ghost or something by the time of ROS. Since the Convor is always following her around, it seems like she might transcend in some form or another. She'd be quite old by that time anyways, at least by Star Wars standards.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 12:29 PM   #629
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Really loving these last two episodes. The crazy thing about this show is that it's so good, it's even managing to link the prequels, the animated content, and potentially the sequel trilogy in a way that actually makes sense. It's crazy that how much they are managing to make this a linking point of all the previous materials while, at its heart, just being a spaghetti Western that focusses on a novel side character.

There are so many small details about this that make it better than a lot of the content we've gotten lately. For example, in the chase scene, where they crush the speeder, you get a quick "Wooh" after crushing the speeder bike against the wall instead of a massive celebration with a catch phrase.

I really liked the aesthetics of this last episode too. Grimmy old parts mixed with new technology. The displays inside the Maurader had a great 70s vibe. The new filming technique using the "Stagecraft" room just opens up so many possibilities for locations.

Even when they are being silly, it still works. The scene of baby yoda in a classroom was absurd, but they didn't overly dwell on it and it wasn't a key plot point. Baby yoda is going to have to be up to something while the others are off, so the juxtaposition was actually pretty solid and added fun without destroying the sense of immersion in the rest of the plot. The slightly sinister look he has on his face while stealing the cookies is priceless, and quite possibly the most petty use of a force power we've seen thus far.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2020, 12:39 PM   #630
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

It might seem weird, but its the attention to detail in this series that's just awesome.

During the speeder bike chase, the scout trooper putting his foot down to aid in the turn.

The movement of the pilots in the Tie Fighters.

The sound effects that are used are top notch.

Old 11-22-2020, 12:49 PM   #631
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Similar to Game of Thrones, I'd be interested to know what their per episode Budget is.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 12:59 PM   #632
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Similar to Game of Thrones, I'd be interested to know what their per episode Budget is.
The new "Stagecraft" technology is apparently a big part of keeping the budget down:

https://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/man...movies%20enjoy.

I'm guessing you have a large investment up front, for the system but then afterwards the savings on location shooting, sets, and green screens are massive.
Old 11-22-2020, 01:36 PM   #633
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
The new "Stagecraft" technology is apparently a big part of keeping the budget down:

https://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/man...movies%20enjoy.

I'm guessing you have a large investment up front, for the system but then afterwards the savings on location shooting, sets, and green screens are massive.

IIRC a big part of the backbone is the unreal game engine as well.

Old 11-22-2020, 01:42 PM   #634
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
IIRC a big part of the backbone is the unreal game engine as well.
That makes sense. They need real-time 3D rendering so a game engine would be ideal.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 03:11 PM   #635
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Beyond "Stagecraft" is the immersion for the actors, not have to compensate or receive direction as to what the reality will ultimately be. It's more immersive and real time for them. Scenes can be tied to an actors head movement and gives them the ability to act within a more finished environment. It's really cool technology.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 08:44 AM   #636
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 09:00 AM   #637
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I remember getting stalked by Dark Troopers in Dark Forces and it was terrifying to hear them stomping around, almost terminator like, and they were nearly indestructible.

Old 11-23-2020, 09:08 AM   #638
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Really loving these last two episodes. The crazy thing about this show is that it's so good, it's even managing to link the prequels, the animated content, and potentially the sequel trilogy in a way that actually makes sense. It's crazy that how much they are managing to make this a linking point of all the previous materials while, at its heart, just being a spaghetti Western that focusses on a novel side character.

There are so many small details about this that make it better than a lot of the content we've gotten lately. For example, in the chase scene, where they crush the speeder, you get a quick "Wooh" after crushing the speeder bike against the wall instead of a massive celebration with a catch phrase.

I really liked the aesthetics of this last episode too. Grimmy old parts mixed with new technology. The displays inside the Maurader had a great 70s vibe. The new filming technique using the "Stagecraft" room just opens up so many possibilities for locations.

Even when they are being silly, it still works. The scene of baby yoda in a classroom was absurd, but they didn't overly dwell on it and it wasn't a key plot point. Baby yoda is going to have to be up to something while the others are off, so the juxtaposition was actually pretty solid and added fun without destroying the sense of immersion in the rest of the plot. The slightly sinister look he has on his face while stealing the cookies is priceless, and quite possibly the most petty use of a force power we've seen thus far.
None of those clever connections were lazy fan service either. It was all done tastefully IMO and well executed.

Turns out Carl Weathers is a legendary actor, football player, golf caddy AND director? Is there anything this man can't do? Couple that with that velvet voice that soothes the soul and you got an acting god.

Gina The Warrior Princess is my favorite character of the show, so any episode with them two together gets me going. She is just awesome, and believable (as far as space wizard themed shows go)
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2020, 04:58 PM   #639
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Holy #### I had that Dark Forces game, almost 25 years ago.

Unexpected callback for sure.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 05:16 PM   #640
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
None of those clever connections were lazy fan service either. It was all done tastefully IMO and well executed.
Can't comment on this enough. The way this show manages to weave all the connections in is amazing. None seem forced, they're all just there, growing organically from the plot. They also don't do the "applause moment" every time an established character is introduced into the show. Everything seems so lived in as well. For example, in episode 3, how you had all the Quarrens and Mon Calamari just working as random fishermen and doc workers...well of course, they have squids for faces.