Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 04:52 PM   #21
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

As long as Tkachuk is not playing on the top line 5v5, they HAVE to use him on the #1PP.

Tkachuk-Monahan-Neal
Gaudreau-Giordano

Czarnik-Backlund-Lindholm
Hanifin-Brodie

PK

Backlund-Frolik
Hamonic-Stone

Ryan-Jankowski
Gio-Brodie

Wow, Bennett better have a monster year or he's going to be forced off the roster.

Last edited by GreenLantern2814; 07-04-2018 at 04:56 PM.
Old 07-04-2018, 04:55 PM   #22
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would like to see:

PK pairings:
Backlund-Lindholm
Bennett-Frolik
Jankowski-Czarnik
Giordano-Brodie
Kulak-Hamonic
Hanifin-Stone

PP1:

Hanifin
Gaudreau-Monahan-Czarnik
Tkachuk

PP2
Giordano
Neal-Bennett-Backlund
Lindholm

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 07-04-2018 at 06:56 PM.
Old 07-04-2018, 05:03 PM   #23
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinL_NHL View Post
Peters already basically guaranteed that Czarnik will get a ton of PP time, if not be a mainstay. Also, Czarnik is considered by Peters to be an "elite power-play player" and by the way Czarnik talked when being interviewed after signing, it seems Treliving and Peters basically told him he's going to be playing top 9 minutes and at minimum be an every day roster player.

Also guessing they didn't travel all the way down to meet with him in person and sign him to a 2-year/$2.5M contract just for him to be a 13th forward.

So....
Come on, Czarnik isn’t #### until he proves he can play with the current team. It bugs the crap out of me when coaches make comments like this when they haven’t even had a camp with their team. How can a coach know where a player fits without first seeing the rest of the team and understanding team dynamics? Czarnik is a 25 year old with a whopping 3 PP points in his 59 game career, yet he’s going to be a mainstay on the PP? I mean, WTF? I’ve never seen so much hype over a guy with 5 goals and 21 career points. Could it possibly be that Peters is just talking the guy up?
Old 07-04-2018, 05:15 PM   #24
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

PP1 (1-3-1)

Lindholm (Net front)
Gaudreau (L Flank) - Monahan (Slot) - Neal (R Flank)
Giordano (Point)

PP2 (Overload)

Ryan - Backlund - Tkachuk
Hanifin - Brodie

PK1

Backlund - Frolik
Hamonic - Giordano

PK2

Lindholm - Ryan
Brodie - Stone

Last edited by Classic_Sniper; 07-04-2018 at 05:23 PM.
Old 07-04-2018, 05:19 PM   #25
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Come on, Czarnik isn’t #### until he proves he can play with the current team. It bugs the crap out of me when coaches make comments like this when they haven’t even had a camp with their team. How can a coach know where a player fits without first seeing the rest of the team and understanding team dynamics? Czarnik is a 25 year old with a whopping 3 PP points in his 59 game career, yet he’s going to be a mainstay on the PP? I mean, WTF? I’ve never seen so much hype over a guy with 5 goals and 21 career points. Could it possibly be that Peters is just talking the guy up?
Could it possibly be that the Flames are actively trying to find a Marchessault type (another guy who was a UFA when Florida signed him) to see if he can roll with an opportunity? Could it be that Tre, who mentioned exactly that type of situation a couple weeks ago, identified Czarnik as such a player? Could it be that Peters and Tre going to Michigan to have dinner with and court Czarnik had motives beyond trying to find a 13th forward?

Nah.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2018, 05:30 PM   #26
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

After watching some highlights from Lindholm this season... he was consistently used as the net front presence. Maybe that means he is out in the second powerplay since tkachuk is already excelling as the screen/down low player for the flames powerplay.

That means I would guess something like this:

PP1:
Screen: tkachuk
Right side: gaudreau
Left side: Czarnick
High slot: monahan
Point: giordano

PP2:
Screen: Lindholm
Right side: Neal
Left side: Jankowski
Right point: hanifin/Brodie
Left point: Anderson/Stone

Except I don’t like having Neal on the second unit... I just keep trying to have a right hand shot on the left side for one-timers on the powerplay. Didn’t have that all season last year except for the the last game where Foo was doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-04-2018, 05:42 PM   #27
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Could it possibly be that the Flames are actively trying to find a Marchessault type (another guy who was a UFA when Florida signed him) to see if he can roll with an opportunity? Could it be that Tre, who mentioned exactly that type of situation a couple weeks ago, identified Czarnik as such a player? Could it be that Peters and Tre going to Michigan to have dinner with and court Czarnik had motives beyond trying to find a 13th forward?

Nah.
Yeah, because I guarantee you that when the Panthers went after Marchessault they had him pencilled in on the PP and thought they had a 30 goal scorer on their hands! That’s some some Oiler level hype and justification. I thought we were better than that and held our team to a higher standard.
Old 07-04-2018, 05:53 PM   #28
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, because I guarantee you that when the Panthers went after Marchessault they had him pencilled in on the PP and thought they had a 30 goal scorer on their hands! That’s some some Oiler level hype and justification. I thought we were better than that and held our team to a higher standard.
You're the one saying Czarnik is nothing more than a 13th forward without even giving him a chance whereas the Flames brass (as well as the other 24+ teams who were interested in him) considers him an under-the-radar type player who could break out offensively under the right situation this season and considers him a very solid potential option in the top 9
Old 07-04-2018, 05:55 PM   #29
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post

Nah.
I hope they are not fixated on finding another Marchessault this way. That's like trading our high draft picks for 4th round picks so we can find another Johnny or Brodie.

There really is no formula. And there is no easy way to tell fans that the player that just signed a one way deal may not make the team. Tre has to pump his tires.
Old 07-04-2018, 05:56 PM   #30
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
You're the one saying Czarnik is nothing more than a 13th forward without even giving him a chance whereas the Flames brass (as well as the other 24+ teams who were interested in him) considers him an under-the-radar type player who could break out offensively under the right situation this season and considers him a very solid potential option in the top 9
There are a few players like that every year. We had Foo last year. Edmonton has Caggiula. List is long. Very few of these work out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Red For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2018, 06:17 PM   #31
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
There are a few players like that every year. We had Foo last year. Edmonton has Caggiula. List is long. Very few of these work out.
No one was pencilling Foo into the NHL lineup aside from some Flames fans. Management said all along that while he would have a chance to crack the lineup through good pre-season play, that he'd be in tough because he was coming straight from college as was on an entry-level contract and didn't require waivers, whereas Czarnik is older, has had much more success, dominated the AHL for 3 years, and has NHL experience.

He's not a young prospect.

Comparing Foo and Caggiula to Czarnik is not the right way to look at things.

Czarnik could play awful in the NHL and quickly flame out but he's a totally separate situation
The Following User Says Thank You to AustinL_NHL For This Useful Post:
bax
Old 07-04-2018, 06:21 PM   #32
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
No one was pencilling Foo into the NHL lineup aside from some Flames fans. Management said all along that while he would have a chance to crack the lineup through good pre-season play, that he'd be in tough because he was coming straight from college as was on an entry-level contract and didn't require waivers, whereas Czarnik is older, has had much more success, dominated the AHL for 3 years, and has NHL experience.

He's not a young prospect.

Comparing Foo and Caggiula to Czarnik is not the right way to look at things.

Czarnik could play awful in the NHL and quickly flame out but he's a totally separate situation
I hope you are right. But Boston did have him and chose to not play him. Is that a bit of a hit the breaks moment?
Being older isn't helping him either.
Old 07-04-2018, 06:28 PM   #33
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, because I guarantee you that when the Panthers went after Marchessault they had him pencilled in on the PP and thought they had a 30 goal scorer on their hands!
As if you know what an organization's internal plans are. Here's what we do know:

I can guarantee you that the Panthers offered Marchessault a 1.5M x 2Y contract, when nothing in his NHL resume would have justified such a deal. Sound familiar?

I can tell you that Brad Treliving said this:

And that Bill Peters said that he sees Czarnik as a piece on his power play. I can tell you that Czarnik identified our team as one of the two most interested teams on the market alongside the Leafs.

You are the one speculating that they are lying through their teeth to pump up a 13th forward, not I.

No one is saying Czarnik is some kind of lock to become a star player. But the team sees him as having the upside to be such, and are willing to give him an opportunity to prove them right, rather than bury him at the bottom of the lineup until he predictably fizzles out, as you are hoping for.

Quote:
That’s some some Oiler level hype and justification. I thought we were better than that and held our team to a higher standard.
Ah, the old Oilers card. Do CP members never get bored of this junk? It's very much a hockey attitude to think guys in different/better situations can produce differently/better.

Quote:
I hope they are not fixated on finding another Marchessault this way. That's like trading our high draft picks for 4th round picks so we can find another Johnny or Brodie.
Actually, it's nothing like that. It's more like drafting with a 4th round pick you already have, a player who put up similar numbers to Johnny at every level. Or more specifically, it's like drafting a Kylington, Phillips, Kulak, or Mangiapane and realizing they need an opportunity to be the next Gaudreau or Brodie, because it doesn't just miraculously happen. It's like looking back to Gaudreau's first few games playing with Colborne and Byron and remembering how close this kid was to being sent down because players DO need to be set up to succeed, not fail.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2018, 06:32 PM   #34
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

It will be interesting to see if Ryan gets any special teams time. He wasn't utilized on the PK (and his offensive zone starts leads me to believe he wasn't strong defensively, but time will tell), and he didn't produce much on the PP (didn't a poster here mention that Brouwer out-produced Ryan with less minutes? I remember reading something like that).

PP1

Gaudreau and Monahan, along with Tkachuk (net front) and Giordano should be on the number 1 PP. I try Czarnik here (RHS). Why? See below:

PP2: Bennett Neal, Lindholm and Backlund are my PP2 guys. Why? Neal is a LHS, and PP1 is full of them. Why Lindholm on PP2 rather than PP1? Tkachuk. I put Tkachuk on PP1, and Lindholm is also a terrific net front presence who seems very good at tipping pucks as well. The D is up in the air. Hanifin? We will see. Brodie is a terrific passer, but I prefer someone with a better shot. Stone has it, but he doens't shoot well enough for me (accuracy). Whomever does better between Brodie and Hanifin for me.

PK1
Backlund Frolik
Giordano - Hamonic

PK2
Bennett - Jankowski/Lindholm
Brodie - Stone

Jankowski should start getting some reps in on the PK. He has great IQ and a really nice long reach, plus he is a strong skater. He played on both special teams in college and became a strong 2-way player. I think he should get some reps, splitting time with Lindholm. Bennett has the speed, and he is just so strong on one-on-one battles, and that may help to eat up time on the PK.
Old 07-04-2018, 06:41 PM   #35
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I see it similar to when Gaudreau started his first full season here. He didn't exactly light it up the first 5 games but Hartley kept putting him out on the PP. They saw the skills and were determined to give him a legit chance to get those offensive touches on the PP that those kind of skilled players get.

Now I'm not saying Czarnik is the same as Gaudreau but the coaches and management see the skillset and are going to give him opportunities to flourish. Treliving said they think Czarnik is going to pop like the Karlssons and Marchessaults - just need the chance.
Old 07-04-2018, 09:44 PM   #36
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:
Flames Special Teams 2018-2019

PP1
Gaudreau ~ Monahan ~ Czarnik
Giordano ~ Brodie

PP2
Tkachuk ~ Lindholm ~ Neal
Hanifin ~ Stone
Old 07-04-2018, 10:13 PM   #37
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So tell me, what does Czarnik have over a player like Mangiapane?

Czarnik (25) 2017-18

AHL - 64GP, 25G, 44A, 69P
NHL - 10GP, 4A, 4P

Mangiapane (22)

AHL - 39GP, 21G, 25A, 46P
NHL - 10GP, 0P

Not a helluva lot. Mangiapane is a 13th forward, so I see no reason why Czarnik is some huge addition that is going to change the fortunes of the team. Seems the shiny new toy is being over rated.
Old 07-04-2018, 10:14 PM   #38
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why so angry?
The Following User Says Thank You to the2bears For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2018, 10:25 PM   #39
Niemo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Stone needs to be on our PP2. We'd be waiting his best asset if he wasn't.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Neal
Lindholm - Giordano

Czarnik - Backlund - Tkachuk
Stone - Hanifin

Ryan - Frolik
Giordano - Hamonic

Backlund - Brouwer
Brodie - Stone
Old 07-04-2018, 10:39 PM   #40
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the2bears View Post
Why so angry?
Not angry. Just really frustrated that our fans don’t know anything about the players in question and cast them in roles they have not played in, nor have proven capable of playing. At the same time they dismiss our own players who have proven calable in these roles. New toy syndrome strikes again, and I just thought our fan base was better than that.
Closed Thread