Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2020, 08:56 PM   #21
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
You had a floppy drive...
I have lived a life of privilege.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 09:14 PM   #22
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Aeneas had some kind of Atari computer in the early 80s. I remember we were typing basic code for hours from a magazine so we could play a game no better than pong.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/the-golde...home-computers
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 09:27 PM   #23
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I remember my first telephone call. My aunt arranged it with her neighbour to teach me how to use a phone. It was a rotary on the wall but not a party line. No phone in my house until I was 15.

In 1982 or 83 I drove to Great Falls and bought a Vic 20, spent hours programming those little games.
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 09:56 PM   #24
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Aeneas had some kind of Atari computer in the early 80s. I remember we were typing basic code for hours from a magazine so we could play a game no better than pong.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/the-golde...home-computers
Hah yup, I had an Atari 600XL as my first computer.

And I did the same thing as a kid. I had to make sure no one turned it off for days since I didn't have any way to save it.

Eventually I got a tape drive to save programs to. An actual cassette player that plugged into it.

For Internet yeah it was kind of a transition.. was already using BBSes and eventually some started to have gateways to parts of the Internet (usenet being common)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2020, 11:24 PM   #25
Shin Pad
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
There was me thinking I was oaf

I'm not oaf. I've just been young for a long time
Shin Pad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 11:46 PM   #26
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

I’m not sure if I should feel old or young based on these...
I remember finding my dads naughty poker cards in the early 80’s. That’s was awesome. Suddenly my buddies thought I was cooler (as long as I brought out the cards). Not sure if my dad ever knew... or if he planted them to be found?
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 03:17 AM   #27
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I used to live in the SF Bay area when I was 5 years old. In 1989 I remember the Loma Prieta earthquake.

We lived a suburb of SF called Walnut Creek. I remember hiding under the table with my mom and siblings after the ground shook. My dad was at work and wasn't with us. I remember watching the news after and seeing one of the cars fall into the cracked bay bridge.

I remember my mom trying to cheer us up by saying the car was going to be ok and the driver would be fine. I remember seeing news footage of an amusement park in the area and the carousel ride's horses all damaged.
Huntingwhale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 04:06 AM   #28
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
First time I saw anything on the internet was in my friend's basement around 1994ish. Pulled up a picture of fisting. I couldn't understand where this amazing photo had come from, but it was pretty cool.
I don't want to shame you or whatever and I know people are into all kinds of things but I've never understood how anyone could be into that. Always grosses me out.

Anywho...My first memory of internet sexy ladies was a .jpg I think titled Sexy Voluptuous Piano Girls or something. And it was just three or four somewhat chubby women with no clothes on on top of or standing around a piano. Hooked on voluptuous girls for life because of that.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 06:56 AM   #29
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
You had a floppy drive. When I got my 64, it came with the 1241 tape drive. and I got the 9 pin dot matrix printer, that couldn't drop lower case letters below the line, so a g was a reversed 9 on the bit map.
In 1982 we got a commodore Vic 20. our first computer. it blew my mind.

I remember when John Lennon was shot.

we had just got back from I think it was the Sportsworld roller skating rink.
and we were eating our kraft dinner watching tv on our orange 12 or 13" black and white TV

the news came on about Lennon being shot. I didn't quite get who he was at the time other than someone famous, but my older brother was crushed
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2020, 07:33 AM   #30
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
I remember when John Lennon was shot.

we had just got back from I think it was the Sportsworld roller skating rink.
and we were eating our kraft dinner watching tv on our orange 12 or 13" black and white TV

the news came on about Lennon being shot. I didn't quite get who he was at the time other than someone famous, but my older brother was crushed
I think Howard Cosell delivered the news live on MNF.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 09:25 AM   #31
wretched34
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I recall the Princess Diana accident/Death, I had heat stroke, so was in bed watching tv, while my parents were hosting a dinner party. The news broke of the accident, and I went downstairs and told all the adults, obviously there was some disbelief, followed by my mom turning on the TV to see the news. The party continued, though far more somber, until the news broke that Diana had passed.

9/11 was another, I was dating an American, and she called when it started. I turned on the TV and watched in awe, while she remained on the other end of the phone, in hysterics. I ended up moving to Utah in October 2001, and spent many afternoons during the SLC 2002 Winter Olympics, laying on the roof of the house, watching Fighter Jets break the sound barrier as they took off from Hill Air Force base to patrol the skies over Salt Lake.
wretched34 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wretched34 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2020, 10:37 AM   #32
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trying to think what other huge events where the moment stuck in my head.

9/11, of course.
Challenger explosion

not Diana. I didn't care about her. I remember being more upset that because of diana dying, the death of Mother Theresa got so much less news coverage.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 10:42 AM   #33
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

At the start of WWII I recall being wrapped up in a comforter and sitting out on our porch in Toronto, with all the lights turned off and listening to the air raid sirens. I also remember all the people celebrating on VE Day in 1945.

Before tv's were commonplace, there was a store down on Eglington Avenue that had a tv in their front window. I recall being part of a small crowd of people gathered around the front of the store watching Joe Louis beat Jersey Joe Walcott. I believe that was near the tail end of Louis's career.

I remember in high school this odd song called "In the Jungle. the Mighty Jungle". I also remember the start of Rock and Role when Bill Haley came out with Rock Around the Clock.

The Unversity Crest on my jacket at Queens had Sputnik on it. We were all nervous of the Russians and their ability to beat us in space.

I recall half of my geology class deciding to move to another field because the word came back that geologists were driving taxis in Calgary. There was quite a lull in the oil industry in the late 50s, after a boom...sound familiar.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to flamesfever For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2020, 11:05 AM   #34
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
I don't want to shame you or whatever and I know people are into all kinds of things but I've never understood how anyone could be into that. Always grosses me out.

Anywho...My first memory of internet sexy ladies was a .jpg I think titled Sexy Voluptuous Piano Girls or something. And it was just three or four somewhat chubby women with no clothes on on top of or standing around a piano. Hooked on voluptuous girls for life because of that.
lol, man. I'm not "into" fisting. It's what my friend pulled up to show us the Internet.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2020, 11:24 AM   #35
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would say a handful of historic events come to mind:

- 9/11
- Princess Diana's death
- OJ

As a sports fan the one that really sticks out is Donovan Bailey's gold medal in the 100m at the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta. That was amazing.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2020, 11:30 AM   #36
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Moon landing:

I remember my Mom and sister taking me to our elementary school to watch it on a little B&W TV with a few hundred others who didn't have a TV. I think I stared at the moon for days after that.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 11:34 AM   #37
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Hah yup, I had an Atari 600XL as my first computer.

My first computer as well...Programmed pong and some kind of snake game, but really spent most of my time mastering Wizard of Wor;

Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Leeman4Gilmour For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2020, 11:51 AM   #38
GrrlGoalie33
First Line Centre

Exp:

diana's death. My brother worked in the print room at the sun and phoned to tell me he was going to be late coming home(Our parents were away) I didn't believe him, so ran down to our computer to check the internet.

9/11. I was at work, many of us squeezed into a boardroom to watch the news. One of our co-workers had moved to NYC and was working in one of the towers. I remember how horrifying the event was in and of itself, then the added anxiety of actually knowing someone there.

1989 - I was at a sleepover and my friend wasn't a hockey fan, so we were playing outside. I remember the community erupting with noise when the Flames won!

Ed Whalen passing is another one I remember. I heard it on the morning news on my way into work. I grew up listening to Ed, so it was quite sad. A co-worker asked what was up, then started talking about George Harrison(who passed the prior month) When I told her that I wasn't a Beatles fan, so George's passing really didn't stand out as monumental event for me. She went on quite a rant about how ignorant I was that some local broadcasters death affected me more than a musical legend who fundamentally changed music.
GrrlGoalie33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrrlGoalie33 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2020, 12:00 PM   #39
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember walking down to wake up my foster kids (both 16 at the time) on 9/11 with the wake up line of a lifetime, 'you kids better come up and watch this because I think you are all going to be in the army in a few months'
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote