Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-20-2020, 04:42 PM   #441
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesguy_SJ View Post
Not entirely related to The Man in the High Castle, but you should definitely check out Jericho from the early 2000's if you haven't already.
I haven't but I might just check that out next.

Not to hijack/continue to hijack the thread.

But...

I downloaded the ebook from the library tonight (as Captain alluded to how short it was).

I've finished Season 2, Episode 2. Do I finish the series, and then read the book, or just read the book now?

Also... no one mentioned Stephen Root was in this! Now I want the outcome to be that his character burns the place down and gets all the money. #MiltonRules

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 04:49 PM   #442
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Also, if you like the Man in the High Castle you should read Fatherland by Robert Harris. There's a movie too. It's a murder mystery/conspiracy in Germany that takes place in an alternate future when the Nazis won WWII.

Rutger Hauer is the main character in the movie!

In fact, you should read everything by Robert Harris. I've loved pretty much everything he's ever written. His Cicero Trilogy is amazing.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2020, 10:43 AM   #443
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just finished Mr Robot a couple nights ago. I have a hard time thinking of a series that I found as solid beginning-to-end. There were brilliant episodes in every season, and there were things that I saw coming and things that I definitely didn't, but everything from a writing perspective felt like it planned and well set-up in retrospect.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2020, 01:31 AM   #444
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anybody watch the series Wayne yet? If you haven’t, you need to.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 04:05 PM   #445
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm making my way through 'Truth Seekers' at the moment.

Really interesting show with Nick Frost as your primary character, along with Simon Pegg as his boss and Malcolm McDowell as his father.

I'm not entirely sure about it as yet, but its got some good moments so far.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 01:27 PM   #446
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Anybody watch the series Wayne yet? If you haven’t, you need to.
Well, I'm working my way through, not that theres much else to do on a cold wintry day during the worst Pandemic of our times....

This show is....interesting. You generally dont like most of the characters, I love the Principal! The premise is pretty tenuous at the best of times but the violence is pretty top notch.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 12-13-2020, 08:58 PM   #447
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just finished the Wilds initial (hopefully) season. It's about nine teenage girls en route to a girls-only retreat in Hawaii, when their plane goes down and they ended up stranded on an island with mysterious circumstances, with their backstories told by flashbacks.

It sounds a lot like Lost, but other than that, is much different. The characters are cliched on the surface (athletic one, smart awkward one, religious one, etc) and some of the storylines are a little predictable, but otherwise it's a fantastic show that's much grittier than lost - the scabs and burns and conditions after being stranded are much more real imo, as well as the various mental states.

It's a mostly female cast, and most of the issues they tackle are female-centric, but that only makes it better. I'm not a female, but the depictions to me seemed realistic, if not a bit overboard at some points.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 09:05 PM   #448
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

I see only Locke has done their homework and watched Wayne. Get to it.
Old 12-14-2020, 10:51 AM   #449
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That show....I dont really know how to describe it. Its awkward, but well done. The humour is rare but great?

There were times I wasnt really enjoying it but I felt compelled to continue even though the primary characters are difficult to like.

I'm definitely in for another season, I'd like to see where it goes from here.

At the moment I'm working my way through 'Carnival Row.'

Old 12-14-2020, 05:35 PM   #450
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
That show....I dont really know how to describe it. Its awkward, but well done. The humour is rare but great?

There were times I wasnt really enjoying it but I felt compelled to continue even though the primary characters are difficult to like.

I'm definitely in for another season, I'd like to see where it goes from here.

At the moment I'm working my way through 'Carnival Row.'
I don't really know how to describe it either, it's not my usual style of show to get into. A unique writing and directing style. Maybe a tiny bit like Barry? I myself liked the primary characters and was pretty well entertained all the way through.
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2020, 08:46 AM   #451
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's probably next on our list after we finish Sons of Anarchy.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 09:57 AM   #452
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I really enjoyed "Secrets of Skinwalker Ranch" they perform a well reasoned scientific analysis on this ranch that has an ancient native american curse placed on it, has been the source of crazy stories for over 200 years and the last two owners of the property were billionaires hoping to discover the secrets of the universe. It does have a bit of an ancient alien-vibe to it but they do find a ton of anomalous data using a variety of equipment run by qualified pros. They don't capture anything too mind blowing on the show, but what they do get is enough to give some credence to the more crazy stories that came out of the ranch. I love supernatural meets science stuff and this is right on the money.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 10:02 AM   #453
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
I really enjoyed "Secrets of Skinwalker Ranch" they perform a well reasoned scientific analysis on this ranch that has an ancient native american curse placed on it, has been the source of crazy stories for over 200 years and the last two owners of the property were billionaires hoping to discover the secrets of the universe. It does have a bit of an ancient alien-vibe to it but they do find a ton of anomalous data using a variety of equipment run by qualified pros. They don't capture anything too mind blowing on the show, but what they do get is enough to give some credence to the more crazy stories that came out of the ranch. I love supernatural meets science stuff and this is right on the money.
I couldn't stand how annoying and overwhelming the main character's accent was. Ruined the whole thing for me LOL
The Fisher Account is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 07:56 PM   #454
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Palm Springs was decent. Not a ton of laughs but enough that I'd recommend the movie. Samberg was good.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 06:26 AM   #455
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Palm Springs was decent. Not a ton of laughs but enough that I'd recommend the movie. Samberg was good.
Yeah it wasn't as funny as I hoped given all the glowing reviews. It was fine but nothing memorable.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 10:08 AM   #456
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Yeah it wasn't as funny as I hoped given all the glowing reviews. It was fine but nothing memorable.
Second that. It was okay but nothing special.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 02:54 PM   #457
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Parrot Analytics is out with their weekly numbers for Digital Streaming. Mandalorian takes the crown by a wide margin but the Expanse appears to be the most successful original digital series Amazon has launched to date based on the premiere numbers.

This compared with the same period for the Boys season 2 premiered.

https://www.parrotanalytics.com/insi...december-2020/
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2020, 02:57 PM   #458
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

People actually watched 'Titans?'

Wow.

Old 12-22-2020, 03:01 PM   #459
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Wow.
Yea. Lot more closeted DC fans than I expected. Thought they be all gone by now w/ the Warner Bros/Zack Synder screw ups.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 06:50 PM   #460
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Wow.
I didn’t mind Titans. Having Batman living in Nighthawk’s head was interesting.

I just finished The Night Manager which was from 2011. It had some strong actors like Olivia Coleman, Tom hiddlestone and Hugh Laurie. Like all John le carre stories, it dragged along with some implausible coincidences. Still, well done enough to post about here.

I also finished Wonder Wheel which is a woody Allen movie with Kate winslet and Justin timber lake, amongst others. It is set on Coney Island in the 1950s. Definitely intended for character study and some interesting camera shots, but the payoff at the end is intentionally not there.

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
McG is online now   Reply With Quote