Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2022, 11:38 AM   #1181
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kenney already called one of her ideas insane, I really don't think there is any interest from him to have anything to do with her potential government.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 12:58 PM   #1182
Yikes
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Kenney already called one of her ideas insane, I really don't think there is any interest from him to have anything to do with her potential government.

I get that...here is the thing that bothers me. Most would agree that for a whole variety of reasons Smith as leader of the UCP would get creamed in the next tilt - BUT - someone is backing her with cash for whatever reason.

Almost like there is a plan?

Tin foil hat aside I'm not a guy that reads into stuff to much...seems odd to me that someone coming across as bat s**t crazy has significant monetary support from somewhere. Maybe it's the rural peeps that are funding her....dunno.
Yikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 01:13 PM   #1183
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Massive Alberta surplus being used to mainly pay off debt:

Quote:
Alberta's United Conservative Party government is making the highest ever repayment of debt in the province's history — $13.4 billion — thanks to a record-breaking surge in resource revenues.

Finance Minister Jason Nixon says the repayment, as forecasted in Alberta's first-quarter update on Wednesday, shows his government's commitment to fiscal discipline even when the treasury is overflowing with oil and gas money.
While social welfare benefits remain unindexed to inflation, not surprisingly (with the election next year) the basic personal amount is being indexed again.

Quote:
The government will resume adjusting personal income tax rates to the rate of inflation. The measure is retroactive to Jan.1, 2022. The basic personal tax amount increases to $19,814.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...debt-1.6568215
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 01:18 PM   #1184
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Such creative ways to use the money...wouldn't consider shoring up our healthcare system after the pandemic, eh? Nope, everything government could think of spending money on is taken care of, bank it!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2022, 02:26 PM   #1185
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

If it actually goes all to debt paydown, that significantly allieviates my personal concern that surplus would largely be used to fund an unimaginable patronage spending spree in advance of the next election.

This is good news for the province in light of rising interest rates, and sets up a potential NDP government to introduce tax increases and allows them buttress social programs at the same time. Not actually sure why the UCP would do this, it could be a rare example of their ideological inclination actually coming out on top for us all.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 02:47 PM   #1186
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
If it actually goes all to debt paydown, that significantly allieviates my personal concern that surplus would largely be used to fund an unimaginable patronage spending spree in advance of the next election.

This is good news for the province in light of rising interest rates, and sets up a potential NDP government to introduce tax increases and allows them buttress social programs at the same time. Not actually sure why the UCP would do this, it could be a rare example of their ideological inclination actually coming out on top for us all.
Sure, but it also doesn't preclude them from dipping into the pot when they feel like it. Smith has said she is going to hand out health spending accounts so we can divert tax dollars into super useful businesses like naturopaths and acupuncture, which will save us from the scourges of cancer, that has to come from somewhere.
Old 08-31-2022, 02:49 PM   #1187
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Debt payback is good, but if they're not going to do things like re-index AISH, come up with a comprehensive, well-funded solution for homelessness and ensure our paramedic services have the resources to stop being a 24/7 ongoing disaster, I can't fully say this is a good idea.

It's good on one hand, but there are other fires that need to be put out with that money. We are, after all, people who need services and funding.

No doubt part of this announcement is also politically-motivated for an upcoming election, to channel Ralph Klein luck.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2022, 02:52 PM   #1188
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think I have seen this one before....somewhere...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1564733226580676608

Oh yea, Kenney did it too

Further proof that this is just a slightly less awkward Kenney with the exact same goals
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aaronck For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2022, 02:54 PM   #1189
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Sure, but it also doesn't preclude them from dipping into the pot when they feel like it. Smith has said she is going to hand out health spending accounts so we can divert tax dollars into super useful businesses like naturopaths and acupuncture, which will save us from the scourges of cancer, that has to come from somewhere.
To be fair, HSAs are commonly found in benefit packages for white-collar and high paying jobs as it is and the employer can deduct the costs from its taxes. And it can be very useful for employees, to pay for dental, vision and prescription costs beyond what normal benefits will pay.

Last edited by accord1999; 08-31-2022 at 02:57 PM.
Old 08-31-2022, 02:55 PM   #1190
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

But why? Such a stupid policy position. But I guess the rubes eat it up.
Old 08-31-2022, 02:58 PM   #1191
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
To be fair, HSAs are commonly found in benefit packages for white-collar and high paying jobs as it is. And it can be very useful, to pay for dental, vision and prescription costs beyond what normal benefits will pay.
Sure, except she also mused about using it to pay for doctor's visits(what about those chronically ill?), and send people to "alternative" medicine that will just burden the healthcare system more when woowoo and witch hazel don't work. I don't think tax dollars should be financially supporting dubious health businesses.
Old 08-31-2022, 03:04 PM   #1192
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
and send people to "alternative" medicine that will just burden the healthcare system more when woowoo and witch hazel don't work. I don't think tax dollars should be financially supporting dubious health businesses.
For whatever reason, the CRA and many provinces recognize these alternative health services as "valid" and allow them to be claimed for the medical expense tax credit and health care spending accounts.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...ax-credit.html
Old 08-31-2022, 03:52 PM   #1193
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Reminder that the Alberta Gov't allows Chiros to call themselves "Doctor".

Greased palms allow a lot of questionable medical bull#### to spread around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 03:54 PM   #1194
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
It’s Notley’s fault!

Exactly, we all forget that the NDP was secretly in power until the Day oil hit $90 / barrel again. Then suddenly all of the grade policies of of the UPC took effect.

Jason Kenney, created the pandemic to slow manufacturing. He made governments everywhere take out debt to pass on to their citizens ensuring pent up demand, he whispered in Putins ear it was finally time to start shooting. If it wasn't for Jason Kenney operating in the background of Notelys shadow term, we never would have pulled out of tail spin that started at the beginning of her term in 2008 and saw us in debt for 10 out of the 12 year she was in power.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 04:07 PM   #1195
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Reminder that the Alberta Gov't allows Chiros to call themselves "Doctor".

Greased palms allow a lot of questionable medical bull#### to spread around.
Don't chiros call themselves doctors everywhere? Didn't think this was an Alberta thing.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 06:01 PM   #1196
para transit fellow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
But why? Such a stupid policy position. But I guess the rubes eat it up.
I understand that Smith's big picture idea is to eventually have family doctor visits paid via the health savings account she gives to each Albertan.

This initiative for access to naturalpaths and other alternative health practitioners is just a stepping stone to get everyone used to her bigger idea.
para transit fellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 06:15 PM   #1197
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by para transit fellow View Post
I understand that Smith's big picture idea is to eventually have family doctor visits paid via the health savings account she gives to each Albertan.

This initiative for access to naturalpaths and other alternative health practitioners is just a stepping stone to get everyone used to her bigger idea.
Soooo... A stupid policy decision....
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 06:46 PM   #1198
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by para transit fellow View Post

Basically the end of universal health care. Some of us, through no fault of our own, need several visits a year. Others may never need it for years, or go once a year, then suddenly need to go 15 times in a year, but I suspect you couldn't "bank" it. The whole point is those using the system less allow for those who may need it more. This breaks that. It's discriminating against the less fortunate, so it is a cruel policy. It may also lead to more people going to emergency to avoid the fee, costing the overall system more. At which point she'd propose charging for ER visits.

Look, this lady has the mental capacity of gnat, and in no way belongs anywhere near a position of power. Her ideas are barely warmed over, let alone half baked. Anyone with an ounce of intelligence should be able to instantly identify the supreme danger she presents. Which makes me question WTF is going on in the minds of her supporters...faith in humanity slipping....
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2022, 06:51 PM   #1199
Yikes
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Basically the end of universal health care. Some of us, through no fault of our own, need several visits a year. Others may never need it for years, or go once a year, then suddenly need to go 15 times in a year, but I suspect you couldn't "bank" it. The whole point is those using the system less allow for those who may need it more. This breaks that. It's discriminating against the less fortunate, so it is a cruel policy. It may also lead to more people going to emergency to avoid the fee, costing the overall system more. At which point she'd propose charging for ER visits.

Look, this lady has the mental capacity of gnat, and in no way belongs anywhere near a position of power. Her ideas are barely warmed over, let alone half baked. Anyone with an ounce of intelligence should be able to instantly identify the supreme danger she presents. Which makes me question WTF is going on in the minds of her supporters...faith in humanity slipping....

Trumpism visits Alberta.
Yikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 06:54 PM   #1200
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yikes View Post
Trumpism visits Alberta.
Calling it trumpism is giving trump too much credit
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post: