Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2009, 10:11 AM   #1
Doctordestiny
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Laying sod in the fall

To anyone who has done this, how late in the fall can you put down sod and have it take root for winter? How late is too late?
Doctordestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:13 AM   #2
Cactus Jack
First Line Centre

Exp:

You know what they say, if there is grass on the field, play ball.
Cactus Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:14 AM   #3
DOK
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I'm not a professional AT ALL, but you can go quite late into the fall as I understand. My old house was done late late fall, in October. They told me that the winter weather will be best for it to grow in spring. It will freeze and keep everything safe for the spring. I was told that's the best time to do it.
DOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:29 AM   #4
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

What DOK said.
Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:45 AM   #5
Ford Prefect
Has Towel, Will Travel

Exp:

The only danger with laying sod in the fall as far as I know is if it's a dry, warm fall. If so, keep it watered until freeze up.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:48 PM   #6
Rerun
Often Thinks About Pickles

Exp:

Can you buy just a few feet of sod... say like 6 ft?

I have a few bad spots in my lawn that I would like to repair, but it doesn't require a lot of sod.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 02:52 PM   #7
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerun View Post
Can you buy just a few feet of sod... say like 6 ft?

I have a few bad spots in my lawn that I would like to repair, but it doesn't require a lot of sod.
Yes, one roll is 2'x5'.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 04:24 PM   #8
tigger777
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Thanks DOK, I will pass this onto my friend who had asked me about this.
tigger777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 05:10 PM   #9
zarrell
First Line Centre

Exp:

I put mine down a day after it snowed in early November. No problems with that at all.

zarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 05:21 PM   #10
Finny61
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I did mine in the fall, I have crabgrass issues sadly but on the whole the grass has been okay. I need to look into this fertilizer apparently that helps fight crabgrass. But like others have said just make sure you are diligent in watering.
Finny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:44 PM   #11
Buckwheat's barber
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finny61 View Post
I did mine in the fall, I have crabgrass issues sadly but on the whole the grass has been okay. I need to look into this fertilizer apparently that helps fight crabgrass. But like others have said just make sure you are diligent in watering.

Just so your post doesn't confuse anyone, the timing of your sodding has nothing to do with the crabgrass problem you are experiencing. In thin areas of turf, crabgrass is an annual established from seed (no rhizomes or stolons) and germinates mid May to mid June and dies after a frost in late Sept or Oct. Are you sure it is crabgrass?

As for the OP question; anytime is alright to lay sod providedthe ground is not frozen and there is sufficient irrigation .

On another note, for those wanting to seed or over-seed, fall is the ideal time
Old 08-31-2009, 10:08 PM   #12
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's the type of grassy weed that is thicker than normal grass, kind of silvery leaves and fuzzy stalk? I got that growing in the seems of my sod.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:45 AM   #13
Gundo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
What's the type of grassy weed that is thicker than normal grass, kind of silvery leaves and fuzzy stalk? I got that growing in the seems of my sod.
I would just pick out what you can, as the grass grows in and spreads it will smother the weeds out. My front yard was kind of the same way last year after I did the sod but shes good to go now.

As for laying sod we did at one of our houses we flipped in November a couple years ago, you'll know its too late to lay if places stop selling it.
Gundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:38 AM   #14
DOK
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

If the ground under wasn't fully weeded and cleared before your going to get weeds out of the seams. And by fully, I mean totally completely weeded and cleared. It's not a problem though, they will grow and die, if you keep your grass well watered in the spring and fertilized. The healthy grass will choke it out fairly quickly.
DOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:48 PM   #15
Buckwheat's barber
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
The weeds that appear in the seams of sod have little to do with any weed(s) growing in the sub-surface of the sod. Anytime there is an area where the turf is thin, be it due to injury, poor management practices, i.e. close mowing…etc, a weed seed will have access to light – the key ingredient for germination. I know this flies in the face of what another poster has suggested, but when you look at the turf, how many weeds do you actually see in the middle of a patch of sod. Few? Any? None?

As for the identification of your weeds, it is too difficult to name given your description. Other described characteristics such as vernation, leaf, sheath, ligules …etc, would aid in pinpointing what weeds are present in your turf. That said, the identification of the weed is unimportant unless you are considering pre-emergent or post-emergent chemical controls, and timing becomes an issue. Further, regardless whether the weeds are annual and will die, they can become very problematic, as many annuals are prolific seeders. Whatever control (cultural practices or chemical) you use, eliminating the weeds will reduce the likelihood of the cycle repeating itself.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:54 PM   #16
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can lay sod in January, and it will grow come spring. Problem is making sure your soil is level, since any snow will melt and cause unevenness.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:24 PM   #17
BsFaninCGY
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Sorry for the old bump. I'm considering laying some sod next week in what was formerly a vegetable garden and am wondering about process. It's a biggish plot - about 25'x25'. It's between the house and the garage and I'm guessing the land should be sloped away from each's foundation? Perhaps the soil needs to be rolled? Fertilized?

Here's the kicker though: we only want to do this temporarily as next year we'll probably be landscaping and changing the layout a bit. I'm not normally one to do work twice, but the dogs are tracking so much mud in the house I feel getting sod down for between now and next summer will at least help in that regard. If we lay it now, will removing it temporarily next June/July be an issue?
BsFaninCGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:41 PM   #18
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why not spread mulch instead?
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:06 PM   #19
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd put down that awesome indoor/outdoor carpet. Disposing of sod is a PITA.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:15 PM   #20
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

In case anyone is wondering, I no longer have the grassy weeds in my sod seems any longer.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post: