Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2017, 09:52 AM   #41
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I just pray the day never comes where I have to urgently make the choice to use the bathroom in that Safeway or #### my pants in public.

I don't know what I'd choose.
Heh, I had an emergency one day and parked my cart to the side, ran home, came back 20 mins later and my cart was still there!
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:54 AM   #42
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
I'm not familiar with the area or its issues, however one question I do have in trying to understand this is, why are they putting up the barriers on the concrete half wall to prevent loitering when there's benches in front of the barrier?

Are the "undesirables" not smart enough to figure out a bench?
The real "undesirables" here are the ones inside.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:57 AM   #43
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Good thing we're raising our kids the same way.
I like that my kids and I can exchange disgusted looks when some crackhead stumbles towards us if we find ourselves in Kensington. Maybe we'll cruise up 10th Street and I'll have them yell 'get a jaaaab' to the bums this weekend from the minivan.

Edit: But seriously, I think you may be underestimating the role of nature as opposed to nurture in having a generally sunny disposition. People that are always happy tend to think it's because they're awesome, but I think it can have much more to do with how they were born and the chemicals they have cruising around their brains. Just like some people have depression, some people have happiness, and everyone else is somewhere in between.

Last edited by Sliver; 09-22-2017 at 10:01 AM.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:03 AM   #44
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
And again these are likely an attempt to cut down on the HUGE amount of theft that goes on at the store.
I’m a little more sympathetic to your cries of indecency from those “pesky teenagers!” but not much honestly. The problem exists that anti-human installations are anti-human, not simply anti-teenager. They run anti to the human body period, and if there is an argument that there is still space for the elderly, for pregnant women, for differently abled people or anyone who needs a place to sit or rest, then unfortunately there is still room for all the people you wish to see less of.

On top of that, the proximity to the train line is a much higher deciding factor in the clientele outside the Safeway. Aggressive panhandlers and thieves aren’t gathering there because there is ample seats, they’re there because it’s a busy location next to a train station. So this measure effectively solves nothing outside of temporarily appeasing those who look down the homeless.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:06 AM   #45
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

They're gathering there because it's right outside a major business. They're staying there because it's more comfortable than standing at the C-Train platform.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:07 AM   #46
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good anti-human design makes hanging out for a short period of time comfortable but a long period of time uncomfortable. It maintains the usability of the space while discouraging residency in the space.

So benches have ridges on them so you can sit but not lie down on them. This is just garbage design. Designing spaces to be used as intended is a difficult bit worthwhile goal. It's not anti human is pro use the space as designed.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:15 AM   #47
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I’m a little more sympathetic to your cries of indecency from those “pesky teenagers!” but not much honestly. The problem exists that anti-human installations are anti-human, not simply anti-teenager. They run anti to the human body period, and if there is an argument that there is still space for the elderly, for pregnant women, for differently abled people or anyone who needs a place to sit or rest, then unfortunately there is still room for all the people you wish to see less of.

On top of that, the proximity to the train line is a much higher deciding factor in the clientele outside the Safeway. Aggressive panhandlers and thieves aren’t gathering there because there is ample seats, they’re there because it’s a busy location next to a train station. So this measure effectively solves nothing outside of temporarily appeasing those who look down the homeless.
At the end of the day you should be taking this up with Safeway. If you feel you need to crusade against anti-human establishments we aren't the audience that has any influence of what a private business does on their property.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:16 AM   #48
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
Wow, is,Safeway a bad company.....roll eyes

The news report on glabal noted that one woman complained as she frequently juggled her two kids and grocery bags by using these hints where the blocks were set. I fail to see her issue given there are a load of benches right there.
One of Druh Farrell's lackeys was whining up a storm about it on Twitter as well and is almost certainly why this became "news". Of course, last I saw, he also failed to offer any idea of how to better deal with the problem.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:17 AM   #49
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would the better alternative be just to deter people from sitting and congregating at that corner to free up the entrance but keep the rest of concrete open for people to sit on? It sounds like they wanted to paint them to match the concrete but the weather has really put a delay on that.

Quote:
"Clearly, people have thoughts on the issue and I think it's great that people are sharing them," Scobi said, adding the company is open to alternatives if the barriers are "not the right solution."
Quote:
Scobi said the store tried on-site security and signs before putting up the rubber blocks. The company will make a decision about whether to keep the caps in place early next month, Scobi said.

Parker said, "We hope that this space can change and evolve to echo the other values and the beautifying that we've worked hard to do so in the Kensington neighbourhood," adding that Safeway owns the property and the BRZ "support the changes."
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:25 AM   #50
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Good anti-human design makes hanging out for a short period of time comfortable but a long period of time uncomfortable. It maintains the usability of the space while discouraging residency in the space.

So benches have ridges on them so you can sit but not lie down on them. This is just garbage design. Designing spaces to be used as intended is a difficult bit worthwhile goal. It's not anti human is pro use the space as designed.
This is inexpensive design and solves the problem in an afternoon with two guys installing a pre-fabricated product. It's definitely ugly, but I don't think they were going for anything beyond functional. It's fair, too. They're in the selling-groceries business, not in the pro-bono beautifying-Kensington-whilst-solving-homelessness business.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:26 AM   #51
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Interesting how overwhelmingly one sided the poll on Global is on this issue.

87% Support
10% Oppose
3% Unsure

Looks like another case of the loud minority beating the drums.
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to RyZ For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2017, 10:34 AM   #52
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
Would the better alternative be just to deter people from sitting and congregating at that corner to free up the entrance but keep the rest of concrete open for people to sit on? It sounds like they wanted to paint them to match the concrete but the weather has really put a delay on that.
Give that every time I've seen it that parking lot is stuffed full, I'm kinda surprised that they didn't just rip it all out and add in more parking. Solve all the problems at once.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:36 AM   #53
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
At the end of the day you should be taking this up with Safeway. If you feel you need to crusade against anti-human establishments we aren't the audience that has any influence of what a private business does on their property.
Thank goodness I’m capable enough to do both.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:38 AM   #54
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Give that every time I've seen it that parking lot is stuffed full, I'm kinda surprised that they didn't just rip it all out and add in more parking. Solve all the problems at once.
No one ever uses the underground, for whatever reason. Apparently a flight of stairs is just too much to bear.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:41 AM   #55
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
No one ever uses the underground, for whatever reason. Apparently a flight of stairs is just too much to bear.
Its where I usually park now, not having to deal with people darting in and out of cars, cars coming in from the wrong way.

Makes a world of difference.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:42 AM   #56
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I use it about 10% of the time. There's usually always parking available outside, but some days I start to pull into that lot, it looks jammed, there are cars driving the wrong way and people walking all over there place and I just nope the hell out and head underground.

I think the most cars I've ever seen down there is like 20.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2017, 10:57 AM   #57
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
One of Druh Farrell's lackeys was whining up a storm about it on Twitter as well and is almost certainly why this became "news". Of course, last I saw, he also failed to offer any idea of how to better deal with the problem.
Oh yes, Dale 'these are my views' Calkins. If you want some twenty-something to arrogantly tell you how you should feel about civic issues, he's a good follow.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 11:10 AM   #58
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

There's an underground parkade there?!

Wow, I feel dumb.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2017, 11:25 AM   #59
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's a great podcast on 99% invisible on this very topic

http://99percentinvisible.org/episod...-architecture/
Old 09-22-2017, 11:44 AM   #60
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
I honestly don't see why this is Safeway's burden, or why they should be expected to come up with alternative options. I definitely feel for the homeless people, but what about the employees making $12/hr who have to clean up after them? The city certainly isn't coming to a private business to clean up human vomit, feces, and urine.

IMO the correct solution here is to have more programs based around mental health, drug addiction, social housing, legal aid, etc..expecting private businesses, or even the public, to accommodate a homeless lifestyle seems counter-intuitive.

It's also really tough for any brick and mortar store to make profits in this day and age. Having Safeway take on an added economic burden seems totally unfair.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post: