Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2017, 02:23 PM   #1
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Wildfires 2017 - Waterton under mandatory evacuation

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/ab/wat...feu-fire-kenow

They were on evacuation watch for a couple of days, but the just passed a mandatory evacuation for Waterton effective 1:15pm today.

I haven't found details on how close the fire is to townsite or any other notable areas in Waterton yet, but I'll keep looking.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 02:35 PM   #2
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sure could use some rain...soonish.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 02:56 PM   #3
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

really crappy.

I was down there for a wedding about 2 weeks ago, I had forgotten how beautiful that area is.

Hope these fires go out asap.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 03:14 PM   #4
Redliner
Franchise Player

Exp:

My family used to own a business in Waterton and the place is like a second home to me. Really, REALLY hope the fire can be contained or that if it does move into the park that they are at least able to save the townsite. Watching that place burn would gut me.

There doesn't seem to be a tonne of information out there but the most up to date stuff I can find is here:

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/ab/wat...feu-fire-kenow
"There will be a short outage tonight sometime between 11:00PM and 1:00AM as network upgrades are performed. Please do not panic and overthrow society. Thank you."
Redliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 03:20 PM   #5
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

CFD is sending 16 members, 2 mechanics, 2 aerial trucks, and 1 Sterling engine to Waterton. As per this tweet:

https://twitter.com/Nobby7694/status/906265049697800192
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 11:51 PM   #6
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

The fire hadn't yet crossed over into Waterton Parks, but it is expected to tonight. They have evacuated support staff out. Not sure what support staff means exactly (who, or what roles are the people), but this doesn't look good.

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/parks-canada-evacuates-waterton-support-staff-fire-expected-to-enter-park-overnight

Smoke is getting pretty bad in Lethbridge tonight. Off and on throughout the week it has been bad, but as of a few minutes ago it feels the worst. The wind doesn't help any. Rain is expected, but it can't come soon enough.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:59 PM   #7
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Drove back from Lethbridge around 5pm today, and from Granum to High River, we couldn't see more than 500m ahead of us with the smoke from this fire.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 02:35 PM   #8
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here is the latest update I've found:
http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/kenow-wild...r&_gsc=EySTtYe

It's not moving as fast as I was worried for, but it's still moving fast enough.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:55 PM   #9
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Map showing extent of the fire and hotspots showed significant growth today.
http://cwfis.cfs.nrcan.gc.ca/interac...y=11&year=2017

Will be interesting to see tomorrow's map. The flames, or at least the glow from them, are now visible from Waterton townsite.

http://lethbridgenewsnow.com/article...mbers-waterton

This forecasted rain beginning tomorrow night couldn't have come at a better time.

Last edited by BlackArcher101; 09-12-2017 at 12:01 AM.
BlackArcher101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:12 AM   #10
Redliner
Franchise Player

Exp:

The rain is going to be too late. The fire moved much faster than expected, burned down the Blakiston valley and all the way out to the park gate. Still advancing into the MD of Cardston and further evacuation notices have been issued. My brother works for the MD of Pincher Creek and has spent all night evacuating people north of the park. The fire jumped the highway right in front of them an hour ago and is now considered completely out of control.

Worst news of all....getting reports as of 15 min ago that the Waterton townsite is now on fire. This may end up being one of the worst nights of my life.
"There will be a short outage tonight sometime between 11:00PM and 1:00AM as network upgrades are performed. Please do not panic and overthrow society. Thank you."
Old 09-12-2017, 12:23 AM   #11
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redliner View Post
The rain is going to be too late. The fire moved much faster than expected, burned down the Blakiston valley and all the way out to the park gate. Still advancing into the MD of Cardston and further evacuation notices have been issued. My brother works for the MD of Pincher Creek and has spent all night evacuating people north of the park. The fire jumped the highway right in front of them an hour ago and is now considered completely out of control.

Worst news of all....getting reports as of 15 min ago that the Waterton townsite is now on fire. This may end up being one of the worst nights of my life.
The park gate, as in the fire is east of the town!?!?!?
Winds gusting to 70+ km/h.... damnit

Last edited by BlackArcher101; 09-12-2017 at 12:26 AM.
BlackArcher101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:33 AM   #12
Redliner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yep. East, north...it's everywhere. Evacuation notices going out for Mountain View and Hillspring. This thing is moving fast.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:09 AM   #13
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Good updates on this feed. https://twitter.com/BryanPassifiume
Old 09-12-2017, 01:14 AM   #14
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redliner View Post

I really wish there was no profanity filter right now cuz I think profanity is probably completely warranted right now. Although, I'm not sure there are enough swear words to convey the likely total loss of a UNESCO World Heritage site and people's homes and livelihoods.

I'm trying to formulate the area in my head - need to go look at the map - but will this mean the Castle area will go too?

Last edited by Minnie; 09-12-2017 at 01:39 AM.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:32 AM   #15
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Evacuating the gas plant down there might be interesting.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:50 AM   #16
Redliner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hard to say if the Castle is in danger as well. Right now the fire seems to be spreading north and east. Could definitely threaten some areas of the Castle wilderness but it all depends how the wind pushes it. We really need that rain to show up sooner than later.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:01 AM   #17
Redliner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haven't been able to find out anything more about the townsite... hoping it was a false report? With no media on site I guess we'll just have to wait for morning to find out. Won't be getting much sleep tonight. A lot of friends and family down there and some have been evacuated just in the last few hours, leaving home in their pajamas. Crazy how fast this thing moved.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:36 AM   #18
zztim81
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I'm just east of the evac area by 10km, friends are in the evac area, ive hooked up my stock trailer and am getting ready to help move some horses and cattle in the morning. its insane right now, the backburn by the buffalo paddock was unneeded and reckless!

The townsite is still safe at this moment though there is spot fires on Max's hill south of the golf course, the structural fire crews are still on site but its not going to be a good night.
zztim81 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zztim81 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2017, 02:38 AM   #19
zztim81
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

and the wind is shifting now, died down a lot
Old 09-12-2017, 02:39 AM   #20
zztim81
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

constant convoy of stock trailers going both ways right now trying to get livestock out

Tags
#abfire , #watertonfire