Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-12-2017, 06:26 PM   #61
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
I love beer, freaking love it. I couldn't imagine life without it.
Old 08-13-2017, 05:06 PM   #62
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm sure Stampede is a great enabler of people getting ####faced in the city. Great for divorce lawyers as well. I still recall seeing this travel show visit a while back.

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:59 PM   #63
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Honestly I think alcohol is a way to self medicate for a lot of folks. The stress many people go through causes people to reach for multiple drinks to numb them to the craziness in their lives. I really think Anxiety is under diagnosed due to shame people feel that they may need proper medication so booze is easy to get and socially acceptable.

Just the stress I see people go through at the places I worked. Like everything has become really high stress and high work. I think if people could balance their lives better you would see a dent in the alcoholic rates.

Just my 2 cents.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2017, 09:31 PM   #64
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
Just the stress I see people go through at the places I worked. Like everything has become really high stress and high work. I think if people could balance their lives better you would see a dent in the alcoholic rates.
It's probably a factor for some people. On the other hand, one of the groups with the highest rates of alcoholism are retirees. A lot of people are just really bored.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:22 AM   #65
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Isn't this possibly due to the rising popularity in wine in North America? When I was young liquor stores were primarily beer and hard alcohol with a wine aisle. Now wine takes up almost half the stores. I personally don't care for wine but have gone to plenty of dinners where multiple bottles get emptied where it used to be a couple of beers and maybe a glass of wine. My wife and her friends plan trips to the Okanagan just for wine tasting and buying cases of the stuff and they drink it all.

It seems younger people these days are drinking less as I was getting drunk weekly before I was 15 and that was pretty typical where I grew up in Alberta. As for adults I really haven't noticed much difference outside of all the wine as North Americans have always liked their food and booze.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 08-14-2017 at 07:28 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:46 AM   #66
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
I'm sure Stampede is a great enabler of people getting ####faced in the city. Great for divorce lawyers as well. I still recall seeing this travel show visit a while back.

Calling Art Mann Presents a "travel show" is a gross understatement.

The show is TV Gold.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2017, 01:24 PM   #67
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Calling Art Mann Presents a "travel show" is a gross understatement.

The show is TV Gold.
I love his show. So hilarious.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 05:04 PM   #68
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
It's really sad when the majority of the population think drinking insane amounts of alcohol is normal or needed to "have fun".

All my friends drank growing up and I still somehow found a way to not drink and still have fun with them. Maybe I'm just immune to peer pressure but I've always made decisons that benefited me and my health and not just drink because everyone else was.

It is sad the way kids grow up thinking they need to drink and then when they're adults there addicted to alcohol but pass it off as "a few beers a week". You have a problem, and it's not good for your health, stop making excuses.
We have had some epic disagreements in the past, but I agree wholeheartedly here. I don't understand the logic people have that "Without booze, it's impossible to have fun!" "Without this booze, I cannot possibly enjoy myself at this sporting event!" If your activity choices require the added fog of getting wasted, maybe you need to find more fulfilling hobbies that do not require that added stimuli. I LOATHE being around a bunch of drunk idiots so much so I have anxiety the day before knowing I am going to be put in social situations where I have to attend knowing there is going to be drunk people. I can't sleep the night before. I hate drunk moronic behaviour that much. People leaning in too close talking with their bile smelling breath, people grabbing you by the shoulder an pulling you in, the speech slurring, people talking yelling over each other.

It got to the point that now, when I have gatherings at my home, they are always alcohol free. If you don't want to attend because of that fact, you are the reason I have the rule. Because you're the idiot that's gonna get blasted, fall over and break my stuff, start a fight and puke all over my bathroom. Not everyone gets to this point, but there's always one or two idiots that ruin it. Not all, but a lot of people appreciate the civility. And if you don't too bad.

I might have one or two drinks a month myself with a nice meal, but that's the line with me. I cannot stand the feeling of being the fog of drunkeness. It's a gross feeling during and after.

Alcoholism comes in many forms, and by reading this thread, it is pretty clear to me that there are some people on this board that really need to reach out for some help. It may not be a full bore problem now, but it creeps up on you fast, and I've seen it first hand. You may all joke about it now, but when you see the sadness, death and destruction alcoholism can bring to family and friends like I have, it becomes less about being the pathetic party pooper that won't allow alcohol in their home for get togethers, and more about avoid a fork in the road that leads nowhere good.

A lot like smoking, if booze was invented tomorrow, not in a million years would it's use be approved.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 07:30 AM   #69
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
It's probably a factor for some people. On the other hand, one of the groups with the highest rates of alcoholism are retirees. A lot of people are just really bored.
That's just part of the self medication though for a different cause. In that case people are drinking for loneliness and depression.

I think it's the easiest accessed socially acceptable mental health treatment we have and in the very short term it is effective. It just has severe side affects and doesn't work that well and can make the illness worse.

I think overtime the mental health movement should help to reduce drinking.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 07:52 AM   #70
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Human beings have been getting high and drunk for thousands of years. As far as I can tell, it is an integral pillar of civilization.