Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-25-2017, 12:21 PM   #21
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Yeah, well, by moving here, I basically understood that, barring a giant disaster, I will never own a place. That is just the reality for now.

It's just about a place to live, and not using real estate as an investment tool. That is nutcase thinking, and is what is basically driving these out of control costs.

That said, I would not be closed off at all to some kind of rent control.
Even rent control is pretty reasonable here with rent increases being capped at 6% annually. BC's Residential Tenancy Act is generally more favourable to tenants than those in other provinces (Alberta's is pretty bad in this regard). Something I would like to see, but I think has to be done at the municipal level is removing the ability for landlords to flat-out ban pets, especially in apartment and condo complexes. I totally understand size and noise restrictions or, in the case of basement suites, the upstairs owners having allergies, but no pets policies are unnecessarily restrictive and are also leading to a surge in people abandoning their animals to various adoption agencies and animal control services.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 12:23 PM   #22
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh, you are talking about Victoria.
Yeah, I realized I misread your post after the fact. I was in Uclulet two weekends ago and, judging by the price of accommodations during what is their offseason, I can only assume that tourism is booming there.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:26 PM   #23
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

From Reddit
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 12:28 PM   #24
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
You're making assumptions about those sitting at home. The majority of those sitting at home are in the camp of people who don't like Clarke, but don't see an alternative that motivates them to vote against her. If voter turnout is low, it's due to a failure on the other parties to motivate.
I mean there are probably possibilities attached to a low voter turnout. One is that you have a bunch of jaded Liberal voters who will just stay home instead of voting for an alternative to Clark. The other is that Horgan and Weaver don't inspire anyone to actually go out of their way to replace her. I'm expecting voter turnout in Victoria to be pretty high. People are practically foaming at the mouth to turf her here.

One of the things working in Clark's favour is that the election is happening between university semesters. In the last federal election, I think Trudeau benefited quite a bit from various student societies organizing on-campus polling stations and get out the vote initiatives. Probably not a big factor in Vancouver of Victoria, but not having places like UBC-O and TRU in session might make a difference in the interior regions.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:30 PM   #25
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post

EDIT: Just saw you wrote the Island as a whole, but even the Central Island is seeing somewhat of a rejuvenation.
Really? My wife has relatives that we visit in Nanaimo and there never seems to be much going on in that area outside of tourism.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 12:32 PM   #26
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
From Reddit
I mean the obvious response to that is pointing out the massive cheques the NDP have been cashing from unions. The Greens are the only party advocating to remove corporate and union donations, which earns them points from me.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:34 PM   #27
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Really? My wife has relatives that we visit in Nanaimo and there never seems to be much going on in that area outside of tourism.
There have been a few new development projects up there in recent years which to me suggests there's at least been a minor economic bump. The real estate market is also slowly starting to heat up as people get priced out of Victoria and Vancouver.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:53 PM   #28
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Alberta's political scene may be bad, but at least it isn't "the Green Party is a viable choice" bad.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 01:01 PM   #29
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Personally, I'm not a fan of Clark at all. I think she's one of the more disingenuous, dishonest, and corrupt politicians I've ever witnessed. I'm definitely hoping for a change in government, but I'm not exactly thrilled with the other choices.
This is me in a nutshell. No idea who I'm voting for yet. Don't like a single choice.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 02:14 PM   #30
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Alberta's political scene may be bad, but at least it isn't "the Green Party is a viable choice" bad.
Not really any worse than "Wildrose Party, official opposition" bad.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:19 PM   #31
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Not really any worse than "Wildrose Party, official opposition" bad.
At least Albertan politicians are attempting to present some kind of alternative. The same 2 inept parties in BC have been jockeying for position decades. Prior to the disolution of the SoCreds, you had at least 3 choices. What's going on in BC is absurd. It would take so little to enact so much positive change, but anyone potentially in power is too inept to do anything about it.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 02:24 PM   #32
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
At least Albertan politicians are attempting to present some kind of alternative. The same 2 inept parties in BC have been jockeying for position decades. Prior to the disolution of the SoCreds, you had at least 3 choices. What's going on in BC is absurd. It would take so little to enact so much positive change, but anyone potentially in power is too inept to do anything about it.
As opposed to the one party Alberta has basically had for four decades? I'm not about to claim that BC provincial politics hasn't historically been a trainwreck of bad decisions, but I'd also hardly call the Clark/Campbell Liberals inept. They've accomplished basically everything they've wanted to. It just so happens that what they've wanted to accomplish generally hasn't been to the benefit of many British Columbians.

And you don't get points for being an alternative if your alternative is basically "I love oil and Jesus."
Old 04-25-2017, 02:31 PM   #33
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

To Res' point though, exhibit A of why I have a hard time considering the Green Party:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...arty-1.4071422

Last edited by rubecube; 04-25-2017 at 02:36 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:36 PM   #34
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
To Res' point though, exhibit A of why a I have hard time considering the Green Party:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...arty-1.4071422
I don't know. I didn't find that too too bad. Just another dumb Green Party candidate. Seriously, their rallies are like after-hours potlucks in the Biology Department, and I kind of like that level of intensity and commitment.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 02:45 PM   #35
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know. I didn't find that too too bad. Just another dumb Green Party candidate. Seriously, their rallies are like after-hours potlucks in the Biology Department, and I kind of like that level of intensity and commitment.
I actually did some volunteer work for the federal Greens way back when I was young, idealistic, and still believed in party politics and democracy. Anyways, the election night party was one of the funnest things I've ever attended. I also accidentally managed to get phone numbers from two women when I was collecting signatures for Elections Canada forms for my candidate and naively thought that this was because they wanted me to come back and talk about the platform later, because 18 year-old me was a huge, clueless dork.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:05 PM   #36
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I actually did some volunteer work for the federal Greens way back when I was young, idealistic, and still believed in party politics and democracy. Anyways, the election night party was one of the funnest things I've ever attended. I also accidentally managed to get phone numbers from two women when I was collecting signatures for Elections Canada forms for my candidate and naively thought that this was because they wanted me to come back and talk about the platform later, because 18 year-old me was a huge, clueless dork.
I slept with my Green Party candidate back in undergraduate. I want to make a joke about pipelines BUT I won't because this thread is only for serious discussion about politics and the future of this province.
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 04:57 PM   #37
erikk3
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

And you don't get points for being an alternative if your alternative is basically "I love oil and Jesus."
But full points if your alternative is simply "I love oil"
erikk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to erikk3 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 05:29 PM   #38
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I slept with my Green Party candidate back in undergraduate. I want to make a joke about pipelines BUT I won't because this thread is only for serious discussion about politics and the future of this province.
That's a good score. Michael Barkusky is a refined looking gentleman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 06:09 PM   #39
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

My riding has an MLA who hasn't done anything other than follow up Christy's lead and close schools and appear for photo-ops. An NDP challenger who has lost 3 or 4 elections in the past 6 years between Municipal, Provincial and Federal elections and a Green candidate whose peak on their resume is "Graduated highschool last year."

No matter where I cast my vote, I risk doing damage to my on riding. =

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 06:46 PM   #40
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
That's a good score. Michael Barkusky is a refined looking gentleman.
I laughed but also, mods condone gay jokes now?