Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2022, 10:11 AM   #1
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Crowdsourcing: broken ankle comfort strategies

Well, it took until I was almost 72...to break a major bone in my body. Fell backwards off a stepladder (how does that happen from the second step????) and kablam went my right fibula. Not apparently a "bad break" per the Ortho, so good news in that. Now wearing an Aircast for a while. Had surgery a few days back and now mercifully done with the T3s which I don't like (hard on stomach/bowels).

So I'm "achy" and not "painful", not that there's a ton of difference, but I am looking for some strategies in creating a more comfy environment for myself.

Crutches are hard for me (crappy balance and some lack of upper body strength) but have a set, and a knee scooter which is pretty good for limited mobility at my rural home.

Problems: managing bed covers, pillows and how to sleep more easily. Other ways of resting / elevating / supporting leg other that my LazyBoy (which is good). Any other thoughts welcome! Figured there were a number of CPers who are pretty active and possibly have had the same kind of injury and recovery.
Old 10-02-2022, 10:38 AM   #2
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry to hear about your injury. I’ve had an Achilles’ tendon rupture a few years ago and was wearing air cast for 3-4 months. A couple of points:
Knee scooter is cool but be careful with it outside. It is very unstable and tends to accelerate downhill on ramps and elsewhere. Mine hit the curb and tipped over. Was quite scary actually.

Nothing really helps making sleep in the cast more comfortable. But a pillow under it helps rest it better.

You may be eligible for a few AHS-covered home care visits. They help change bedding, showering, cleaning and other house chores. If not, consider hiring one from your community/church/neighbours or one of the care agencies - there are many. Cost is about $25/hr, normally.

Be careful when showering - was one of the most difficult things to manage for me by myself. Get a non-slip four-legged shower chair to minimize risk of slipping.
Old 10-02-2022, 10:46 AM   #3
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
Sorry to hear about your injury. I’ve had an Achilles’ tendon rupture a few years ago and was wearing air cast for 3-4 months. A couple of points:
Knee scooter is cool but be careful with it outside. It is very unstable and tends to accelerate downhill on ramps and elsewhere. Mine hit the curb and tipped over. Was quite scary actually.

Nothing really helps making sleep in the cast more comfortable. But a pillow under it helps rest it better.

You may be eligible for a few AHS-covered home care visits. They help change bedding, showering, cleaning and other house chores. If not, consider hiring one from your community/church/neighbours or one of the care agencies - there are many. Cost is about $25/hr, normally.

Be careful when showering - was one of the most difficult things to manage for me by myself. Get a non-slip four-legged shower chair to minimize risk of slipping.
Good point on the scooter - was wondering about that -- even sometimes in the house it seems to have a pretty quick "flip" on the front that could easily turn into a nasty spill.

I'm mostly in BC - have to be in YYC for some consulting work in the next two weeks - but my wife is a pretty good home-care nurse, so at least that isn't a problem...at least not that way.

I did wonder about the sleeping part. Yah...it's .... annoying, if necessary. Oh well. And I'm like a pregnant woman...pillows all over the place, but they only help so much and I guess as I'm just starting to heal, I have been unable to find a regularly comfortable position.

As for showering -- sink baths!! I don't even know yet if the cast and injury can get wet.....so for the time being until my first Ortho check-in....I'll stay with the sink. But good point on the shower - and we have an outdoor shower which might be cooler, but safer.
Old 10-02-2022, 10:51 AM   #4
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cast cannot get wet and, more specifically, water should not get under it. There are good cast condoms. Pick a long one that goes up to the groin. They keep the water out fairly well.
Old 10-02-2022, 11:03 AM   #5
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
Cast cannot get wet and, more specifically, water should not get under it. There are good cast condoms. Pick a long one that goes up to the groin. They keep the water out fairly well.
Hah! Never knew that --- thanks!
Old 10-02-2022, 11:21 AM   #6
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Usually you can take the air cast on and off for bathing. I had a pretty serious ankle break a few years ago and I was able to do that relatively quickly. Though looking at my ankle kind of grossed me out so I tried to avoid that for a while.

As for other tips, I got a wheelchair from the Red Cross for moving around the house. I was OK with crutches, but they got old pretty quickly. And for sleeping, a pillow under the cast helped, but ultimately there's no comfortable way to sleep. I ended up rotating through sedatives and antihistamines for the first month or two to make sure I could sleep through the night.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2022, 11:29 AM   #7
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can get a peg leg that in my opinion works better than crutches or the knee scooter for around the house and short distance
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 11:32 AM   #8
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
You can get a peg leg that in my opinion works better than crutches or the knee scooter for around the house and short distance
Limb replacement sounds a bit extreme.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2022, 11:39 AM   #9
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Limb replacement sounds a bit extreme.
Probably solves the pain issues too
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2022, 01:17 PM   #10
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

You might consider purchasing a large down filled, high quality comforter and pillow. I realize it can be expensive, but considering the amount of time one spends in bed, I think it is well worth it. I can't remember where I purchased mine. It was down in the Willow Park area, from a store (the Down Shop?) that specialized in that sort of thing.

Also, I have recently purchased a light aluminum transporter wheelchair that I am not using, and you may PM me if you wish to borrow it.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 01:46 PM   #11
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfever View Post
You might consider purchasing a large down filled, high quality comforter and pillow. I realize it can be expensive, but considering the amount of time one spends in bed, I think it is well worth it. I can't remember where I purchased mine. It was down in the Willow Park area, from a store (the Down Shop?) that specialized in that sort of thing.

Also, I have recently purchased a light aluminum transporter wheelchair that I am not using, and you may PM me if you wish to borrow it.
Thanks - may well PM you if/when I get to town (Tues or Wed)....might be very useful - appreciate the offer!! The scooter is OK, but I'm not sure it's great in all locations as it really is only "sort of" stable!!
Old 10-02-2022, 02:12 PM   #12
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Couch cushions between the mattress and box spring to elevate your feet.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2022, 04:37 PM   #13
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I broke and dislocated my right ankle in the mid 90’s when I was 30. Had surgery on it where they installed pins and plates.

Wore one heavy duty plaster cast for 2 weeks post surgery, then another plaster cast for 6 more week. Man that thing stank after about 3 weeks. Going out to the bar was fun, as I had tons of girls getting drinks and stuff for me, got thru line ups quickly

Orthopod told me no hockey for 6 months……I think I was back playing in 3 weeks. One day I was going thru the double glass doors at work and trip, almost went head first thru a plate glass door.

Was so nice to take a nice warm bath at the end of this.

Good times. I found getting up in the morning was horrible. Had to go to bathroom so bad, but getting up with blood rushing to my foot was so painful.
Old 10-03-2022, 08:19 AM   #14
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxbuster View Post
Well, it took until I was almost 72...to break a major bone in my body. Fell backwards off a stepladder (how does that happen from the second step????) and kablam went my right fibula. Not apparently a "bad break" per the Ortho, so good news in that. Now wearing an Aircast for a while. Had surgery a few days back and now mercifully done with the T3s which I don't like (hard on stomach/bowels).

So I'm "achy" and not "painful", not that there's a ton of difference, but I am looking for some strategies in creating a more comfy environment for myself.

Crutches are hard for me (crappy balance and some lack of upper body strength) but have a set, and a knee scooter which is pretty good for limited mobility at my rural home.

Problems: managing bed covers, pillows and how to sleep more easily. Other ways of resting / elevating / supporting leg other that my LazyBoy (which is good). Any other thoughts welcome! Figured there were a number of CPers who are pretty active and possibly have had the same kind of injury and recovery.
My mother in law broke her leg and my father tore his knee up 'falling', both f from the first step of a ladder. Both in their 70's when it happened. Maybe age is a factor, but you certainly do not need to fall a large distance to injure yourself. Sorry to hear about your injury however.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2022, 09:47 AM   #15
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

wow - did i ever misread the thread title... thought it said "Crowdsurfing:broken ankle comfort strategies"

so my first thought was... broken ankle as a result of crowd surfing
second thought was... you have a broken ankle and want tips on being able to crowd surf comfortably

yea!! monday mornings! ha! ha!
Old 10-03-2022, 10:41 AM   #16
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is the air cast snagging on stuff? I think I recall someone saying they were using a super stretched out goalie sock over the air cast to keep it from snagging on stuff.

For sleeping, I think sticking the feet out is the best option. Otherwise, if the blanket turns your leg because of the air cast and you sleep that way, you wake up with the leg feeling weird. You might want to consider a top blanket and a bottom one. The bottom one would be a light one like a fleece throw just to keep the feet warm. The top (ie: Knee up) would be your normal blanket.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 10:43 AM   #17
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Macallan 12

I was going to post this in the scotch thread, but I think it is more appropriate as a comfort strategy
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canada 02 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2022, 10:58 AM   #18
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
Macallan 12

I was going to post this in the scotch thread, but I think it is more appropriate as a comfort strategy
or if you feel philosophical...

As "Islay" here...
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 11:53 PM   #19
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I found that cold seems to really go deep and causes heavy aches. I can’t explain that pain any better. So marble or similar floors that hold the cold are a problem. Compression socks or indoor shoes help. Word of caution on socks; they can make things worse as they can be slippery so make sure if this is your path, that you get grippers on your socks.

And don’t scrimp or cheat on the physio.
Old 10-10-2022, 11:26 AM   #20
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just want to say a thanks to the helpful posters here...lots of good ideas that I've adapted to make this a little less miserable healing journey! Hopefully will be able to pay it forward somewhere along the way.

(And....Go Flames Go!! Looking forward to this season. Just have to figure out whether I'm watching TV or streaming in a likely-not-quite-legit fashion.)