Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2022, 03:49 PM   #21
Leondros
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
This really cuts both ways. You're probably getting a lot of people with delusional expectations, because those are the only people entering certain types of employment.

When people actually break down the numbers for many professions like lawyer, accountant, etc.. they are so overwhelmingly bad, only a delusional person would ever pursue those careers. $80-100k/year to work 70ish hours a week and you're expected to do that for 5-10 years before seeing any kind of significant pay raise, and even then the partners in many of the firms are only making $140-180k.

You'd have to have a pretty big ego to look into that abyss and see yourself getting ahead.
I think you are vastly under-estimating both grunt earnings and partner earnings from personal experience in a majority of both law and accounting firms... Especially in Calgary and especially in the past 2 years...
Leondros is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leondros For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2022, 03:51 PM   #22
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i scanned all the comments and have yet to see any use dangnabbit or tarnation
Old 09-20-2022, 04:00 PM   #23
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

#### I hate when I agree with Sliver.

But yeah, considering nothing else, being in the eternal eye, living a life where privacy just doesn’t exists and every thought, emotion and feeling is broadcast live in their most intimate spaces? Being a kid today would be harder than I could imagine, and I’m pretty impressed with the children I’ve met. It’s those ####ing 18-24 year olds I can’t stand.
Old 09-20-2022, 04:27 PM   #24
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not long for this world. Biking home on the path, one looked directly at me, looked down at her phone, then stepped across the centre line directly in front of me. Maybe a little to much of a digital native. Meatspace is going to crush her one day.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 04:53 PM   #25
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kids today have it hard, but not for the same reason I had it hard when I was growing up, or my parents had it hard when they were growing up.

It's also easy to look back when times were simpler, my parents probably did the same thing. Doesn't mean it was easier though (you can debate if it was better).
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 04:56 PM   #26
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Kids today have it hard, but not for the same reason I had it hard when I was growing up, or my parents had it hard when they were growing up.

It's also easy to look back when times were simpler, my parents probably did the same thing. Doesn't mean it was easier though (you can debate if it was better).
Everyone is fighting a hard, albeit different, battle.

Kids have lots to worry about. They may not have as 'tough' a life as past generations but they'll fight challenges of their own.

That being said, we're doing a pretty good job to follow in our parents' footsteps and leave these kids a veritable ####storm of a world to live in!

"Heres the keys kids! Dont screw it up as bad as we have!"

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2022, 05:02 PM   #27
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Them young'uns.... let me tells ya...
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 06:13 PM   #28
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leondros View Post
I think you are vastly under-estimating both grunt earnings and partner earnings from personal experience in a majority of both law and accounting firms... Especially in Calgary and especially in the past 2 years...
Yeah. Fair enough. Can't speak for accountants, but ZSA is normally pretty accurate about salaries:

https://www.zsa.ca/salary-guide/

I do think the work life balance is generally very off for a lot of jobs. If you look at net income (and how far that income goes) vs hours put in, there's a major imbalance in a lot of industries right now. Law and accounting seem especially bad for hat.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2022, 06:23 PM   #29
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
i scanned all the comments and have yet to see any use dangnabbit or tarnation

Or whippersnapper.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 08:38 PM   #30
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I dunno...

I teach a lot of this Gen Y/Gen Z group, and I see some things on a regular basis:

Learned helplessness-basically, they've been told their whole life that their shortcomings aren't their problem and we will accommodate them to make ends meet. They're the product of a broken system. These kids will never accomplish anything and will be a drain on society. Probably 15% of young people are like this.

The apathetic-many just say "#### it" and decide that they will do the minimum required to get what they need in life and screw everything else. Thankfully, this isn't a large percentage, roughly 20%

Then there's the enthusiastic, but clueless-They care...a lot (thanks Faith No More). They want to improve things, have a good career that is socially responsible, and make things better for the next generation. However, they have no real skills or aptitude to effect any real change or have the life they want to live. The sentiment is nice, but meaningless. Unfortunately, this is about 40% of the kids I see.

The wandering soul-This group is above average in almost every way, but is unclear on where they want to go or what they want to do. They're smart, capable, and ready to effect real change, but they're aimless. My hope is they find a path at some point. This is about 15% of the young people I see.

Then there's the achievers-These are the super-motivated group that says #### you to all the roadblocks and obstacles put in front of modern kids. They kick ass and chew bubble gum. They're the ones that I would gladly follow into battle. I put the percentage at about 10%, which is quite high considering what I'm talking about.

I look at all this and I think about my peers growing up, and the generation before me. I say to myself, "Self? Is this any different than generations that came before?", and I say "No, not really. If anything, the motivations are genuinely great, but they're limited by a crap education system that didn't prepare them well. Whereas before, they didn't give a #### but were well educated."

It's a catch 22.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2022, 03:56 PM   #31
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...niles/3373051/
Old 09-30-2022, 09:50 PM   #32
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Paul Fairie has the best Twitter

https://twitter.com/user/status/1575610379702796288
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2022, 10:02 PM   #33
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kids today have figured out the difference between respect and obedience.

Dumb adults will always decry the lack of respect from kids "these days", but if the "adults" can offer something interesting or inspirational, the kids will lap it up more than ever.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2022, 08:33 AM   #34
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What's the average age of this forum? 50?
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FormerPresJamesTaylor For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2022, 08:41 AM   #35
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I dunno...

I teach a lot of this Gen Y/Gen Z group, and I see some things on a regular basis:

Learned helplessness-basically, they've been told their whole life that their shortcomings aren't their problem and we will accommodate them to make ends meet. They're the product of a broken system. These kids will never accomplish anything and will be a drain on society. Probably 15% of young people are like this.

The apathetic-many just say "#### it" and decide that they will do the minimum required to get what they need in life and screw everything else. Thankfully, this isn't a large percentage, roughly 20%

Then there's the enthusiastic, but clueless-They care...a lot (thanks Faith No More). They want to improve things, have a good career that is socially responsible, and make things better for the next generation. However, they have no real skills or aptitude to effect any real change or have the life they want to live. The sentiment is nice, but meaningless. Unfortunately, this is about 40% of the kids I see.

The wandering soul-This group is above average in almost every way, but is unclear on where they want to go or what they want to do. They're smart, capable, and ready to effect real change, but they're aimless. My hope is they find a path at some point. This is about 15% of the young people I see.

Then there's the achievers-These are the super-motivated group that says #### you to all the roadblocks and obstacles put in front of modern kids. They kick ass and chew bubble gum. They're the ones that I would gladly follow into battle. I put the percentage at about 10%, which is quite high considering what I'm talking about.

I look at all this and I think about my peers growing up, and the generation before me. I say to myself, "Self? Is this any different than generations that came before?", and I say "No, not really. If anything, the motivations are genuinely great, but they're limited by a crap education system that didn't prepare them well. Whereas before, they didn't give a #### but were well educated."

It's a catch 22.
I don't see how this is any different than any other age group. I've met people that fit these categories in every age.
Old 10-01-2022, 09:42 AM   #36
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
I don't see how this is any different than any other age group. I've met people that fit these categories in every age.
There are slight differences based on uniquely different life experiences that this younger group has, but that was sort of my point if you read my last paragraph.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 10:07 AM   #37
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

"Learned helplessness". Isn't that what being a kid basically is in a nutshell? LOL
The Fisher Account is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 11:40 AM   #38
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
There are slight differences based on uniquely different life experiences that this younger group has, but that was sort of my point if you read my last paragraph.
On yes, I'm in agreement.

What strikes me is how there's actually been huge advancements in teaching methodologies in recent decades yet the coddling seemed to have ruined some.

The new thing is teaching children resilience, and that things won't go their way sometimes.
Old 10-01-2022, 12:29 PM   #39
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Youth is wasted on the young.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 08:25 PM   #40
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

Those dang kids with their rock and roll music and hula hoops.. In my day, when I wanted to impress a girl I had to talk to her with my mouth.
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
edmonton is no good