Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2021, 06:40 AM   #41
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yesterday we decided to go for a short one at C-Level Cirque. It's about 9-10 km round trip. There's a bit of elevation for the last km but the view of the Lake is spectacular. The trail is quite busy but manageable.

I usually hike about a dozen times a year but this year I haven't been out since May. Even that short one yesterday kicked my butt.
Red Slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 04:06 PM   #42
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone out at Johnston canyon today know what is going on

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.rmot...canyon-4308052
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 05:06 PM   #43
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Not sure, but JC feels like a place ripe for incidents.

Usually overcrowded, people treating it like the zoo more than a cliffed canyon with rapids in the wilderness, probably doing dumb things to get a good angle for a photo.

I've slipped a few times just trying to climb through that cave since it's always wet. Now you have families in sneakers and flip flops and inexperienced tourists trying to jam through there.

Seems inevitable.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 06:21 PM   #44
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Johnston Canyon can get pretty sketchy when there’s ice on the ground. I am surprised there haven’t been more winter incidents with people without micro spikes.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 06:58 PM   #45
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s well railed so it’s mostly just broken bones.

I’ve been there when a person broke a wrist. From the article this sounds more like a crime than a hiking injury.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 11:57 PM   #46
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

The last time we went in winter there was enough of a gap that if a kid slipped, they’d probably end sliding through.

Sulphur Mtn was also and earlier in the Spring with the ice and some badly eroded parts of the trail. We normally don’t want to pay to go down the gondola, but that time we did. Same with around the top of Tunnel Mtn. Tunnel was probably worse.

I think our lesson after that was even at the popular hiking spots in Banff, in winter and spring spikes are necessary.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 08:05 AM   #47
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

My wife and decided we're going to start hiking - we've always enjoyed it and decided to start taking it more seriously.
We were in Kananaskis over the long weekend and the trails were quite busy, which was expected. It struck me how lucky Calgarians and Albertans are to have a recreation area like that so close, with so much to explore and so much natural beauty.
Are there many other recreation areas in Canada or North America that have been set aside like Kananaskis? It seems like we're pretty fortunate.
bob-loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 11:16 AM   #48
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob-loblaw View Post
My wife and decided we're going to start hiking - we've always enjoyed it and decided to start taking it more seriously.
We were in Kananaskis over the long weekend and the trails were quite busy, which was expected. It struck me how lucky Calgarians and Albertans are to have a recreation area like that so close, with so much to explore and so much natural beauty.
Are there many other recreation areas in Canada or North America that have been set aside like Kananaskis? It seems like we're pretty fortunate.
I don't have the data handy but I think it's safe to say that Calgary has some of the best hiking within an hour drive of anywhere in the country. I think it's something we tend to take for granted.
Old 09-07-2021, 11:35 AM   #49
guzzy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Get the all trails app. Locate trails in different areas on the map and you can set bookmarks by area.

There is also an Alberta Hiking Association page on Facebook. It's a great place to get ideas from.
guzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to guzzy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2021, 11:56 AM   #50
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Besides what we have here in AB might favorite places for hiking are Glacier National Park in Montana which is very similar to Kananaski/Banff and all the various parks (federal and state) in the 4 corners region of the southwest US. There is so much cool stuff to explore and hike and the terrain is quite a bit different in places like Zion, Bryce Canyon, Canyonlands, Moab and across to Carlsbad Caverns. Before kids I would go down to the US southwest every second year for at least ten days but I haven't been in quite a while. We were going to take the kids to Zion, the Grand Canyon and Carlsbad in the summer of 2019 but Covid ruined our plans.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2021, 01:03 PM   #51
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
This really dawned on me more this year as well.

Our local "playground" is world class.

Locals are starting to wake up to this as well, as hiking is perhaps the most pandemic friendly activity there is.

Most other places you'd get a brown murky lake in a forest with not much to see as your recreational spot.

We have it pretty good, dry/cool climate included.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2021, 05:21 PM   #52
monkey brewery
Farm Team Player

Exp:

We took a drive out to Bragg Creek/Elbow Falls today, and randomly decided to see what was a bit further and found Forgetmenot pond. I'd heard about it but had not been. Nice spot for an afternoon lunch....not much of a hike, tho...More like a walk around the block. Nobody else was there except two park rangers who said it's jam packed on weekends.
monkey brewery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 06:57 PM   #53
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did the Prairie Creek/Powderface Ridge loop. Prairie Creek is excellent. Definitely a repeat for me. Couple of sketchy spots.

Powderface is nice but sorta boring.

A very easy "hike" is the Blackshale bridge. That was cool. Do it if you're nearby.
Old 10-04-2022, 10:29 AM   #54
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bump, sorry.

Maybe a long shot, but wondering if anyone has any recommendations on where to go see the larches, like a level 2/10 hike, little incline, absolutely no scrambling, paved would be amazing.
Thinking of going out this week.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 10:36 AM   #55
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Bump, sorry.

Maybe a long shot, but wondering if anyone has any recommendations on where to go see the larches, like a level 2/10 hike, little incline, absolutely no scrambling, paved would be amazing.
Confederation Park.

They are Siberian larches, the orangy yellow dots on the right. I haven't looked to see if that have started changing yet. I know this isn't what you expected, but it's easy and paved!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 10:37 AM   #56
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Besides what we have here in AB might favorite places for hiking are Glacier National Park in Montana which is very similar to Kananaski/Banff and all the various parks (federal and state) in the 4 corners region of the southwest US. There is so much cool stuff to explore and hike and the terrain is quite a bit different in places like Zion, Bryce Canyon, Canyonlands, Moab and across to Carlsbad Caverns. Before kids I would go down to the US southwest every second year for at least ten days but I haven't been in quite a while. We were going to take the kids to Zion, the Grand Canyon and Carlsbad in the summer of 2019 but Covid ruined our plans.
100% agree, lots of stuff to do in the southern Utah area. Slot canyons, Escalante, Zion, GC, and BC. Hiked the narrows and was questioning the rating of it being a difficult hike until you walk on wet "baby heads" for 7 hours and your knees and ankles are trashed.
Old 10-04-2022, 10:38 AM   #57
Lumby Lager
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Bump, sorry.

Chester lake on the Smith Dorian, it is about half way between Spray lakes and the #40. If you want something closer to Calgary you could do Mt Loretta ponds. Both are easy hikes and I would personally suggest Chester lake.
Lumby Lager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 03:37 PM   #58
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumby Lager View Post
Chester lake on the Smith Dorian, it is about half way between Spray lakes and the #40. If you want something closer to Calgary you could do Mt Loretta ponds. Both are easy hikes and I would personally suggest Chester lake.
Cool, thanks. I've never been to Chester. The 742 can be brutal this time of year if we take it from Canmore, yeah? (at least 5-6 years ago it was) Likely we'll take highway 40, but might make a Banff/Canmore day of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Confederation Park.

They are Siberian larches, the orangy yellow dots on the right. I haven't looked to see if that have started changing yet. I know this isn't what you expected, but it's easy and paved!
It looks like you're telling me I've walked by larches just about every single spring, summer, and fall day for like four years. I've never even noticed.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 06:22 PM   #59
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Cool, thanks. I've never been to Chester. The 742 can be brutal this time of year if we take it from Canmore, yeah? (at least 5-6 years ago it was) Likely we'll take highway 40, but might make a Banff/Canmore day of it.

It looks like you're telling me I've walked by larches just about every single spring, summer, and fall day for like four years. I've never even noticed.
Spoiler!

Decided to ride past them on my way home. Not quite the same as a mountain covered in them...

As for the road to Chester from Canmore, it all depends on when they grated it last. Not sure if that info is online or not.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2022, 08:11 PM   #60
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

12 year old son, wife and I just finished a 2 night 3 day backpack from vista lake parking lot to sunshine

The larch trees at the top of gibbon pass were spectacular. Not an easy hike though. We went from twin lakes to Egypt lake campground in 1 day.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Last photo is at Healey pass. After seeing basically no one Saturday there were hundreds of people on this trail from sunshine

Last edited by MacDaddy77; 10-04-2022 at 08:16 PM.
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MacDaddy77 For This Useful Post: