Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2022, 03:41 PM   #61
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I prefer Gen Xers to Boomers every single time.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 03:44 PM   #62
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I would state there two types of Gen Xers that I deal with. The domesticated ones, who entered the corporate structure and the business world. This type tends to be, as you say, very easy to deal with. Although you do have to watch them, as many inherited a very cut throat tendency towards co-workers (who in my mind should be allies). They had to fight to get into an over-saturated job market, and many stayed there by screwing over co-workers.
Oh wow, yeah, good point. I've seen that as well, but didn't chalk it up to a generational thing. I'll think about that one, but at first blush, I can definitely think of examples that fit with your observation.

Quote:
In my other post, I was more referring to the Gen Xers outside of the business world. These people landed into the job market during the recession. Many are still, like I said, very edgy. I wouldn't say they power trip in any way though. More just ongoing juvenile behaviour.
Not doubting you, but can you give me an example? You've got me curious.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 03:48 PM   #63
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
People who are 50 years old are squarely gen Xers. They caught the tail end of the good times the boomers had, but nothing like what the boomers actually received. Many of them also graduated directly into a major recession and a saturated work force.

In my dealings with many Gen Xers, I've found it's crazy how many still maintain that angsty edgy teenage attitude throughout their entire adulthood.
Truthfully, the broad generalizations of generations are kind of pointless. I'm GenX, pretty close to the cusp of millenials and I came out of school right into double-digit unemployment and promises of "you're graduating at just the right time because all of these baby boomers are nearly at retirement age". I don't think it's a spoiler that they weren't retiring! Strangely, a generation that lived on debt (both personally and corporately) found that they weren't completely prepared to retire...and when they got to the high-paying coveted positions they weren't quick to retire.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2022, 04:16 PM   #64
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Truthfully, the broad generalizations of generations are kind of pointless. I'm GenX, pretty close to the cusp of millenials and I came out of school right into double-digit unemployment and promises of "you're graduating at just the right time because all of these baby boomers are nearly at retirement age". I don't think it's a spoiler that they weren't retiring! Strangely, a generation that lived on debt (both personally and corporately) found that they weren't completely prepared to retire...and when they got to the high-paying coveted positions they weren't quick to retire.
I'm in the exact same boat as you (many CPers likely are). I also had the added bonus of graduating law school right into the 2009 economic meltdown.

The double digit unemployment you speak was a giant buildup of all the Gen Xers unable to find positions. The Gen Xers were kind of the prince Charles generation (although that metaphor is probably no longer apt, as he is now king), where there was not only no one retiring to make room for them, but they weren't even promised that level of hope. For them it was just, there's a lot of boomers in the workforce and you don't have any experience, so no jobs.

For the record, I do agree that generalizations about all people of any given generation don't apply to individuals. However, I'm looking at it more as a question of economic realities that existed at different times.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 04:18 PM   #65
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Oh wow, yeah, good point. I've seen that as well, but didn't chalk it up to a generational thing. I'll think about that one, but at first blush, I can definitely think of examples that fit with your observation.

Not doubting you, but can you give me an example? You've got me curious.
My clients make up a pretty broad range of society. From homeless people to major CEOs. I most recently had a client who was a music teacher, and, as such, had retained many of his artistic sensibilities. He worked in the Catholic school system, so I expected him to be pretty mellow...he was not. He still dressed in Doc Martins (although those are now back in style) and basically acted like Scott in Austin Powers (even though he was in his 50s). It was a trip.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2022, 04:26 PM   #66
Guest1

I was talking with a friend from high school yesterday ( remember: I grew up in Nanaimo) and she moved out when she was 14 ( bad family life, alcoholism and abuse) I said that there was no way that my kid (13 years old) would be remotely ready to move out on her own in a year!
Kids these days have zero coping skills and zero critical thinking and 100% emotional baggage. Is that my fault? Maybe. But I realized yesterday how much screen time she gets That I think is the issue…. She is watching everyone live fake lives and then when real life hits her, she freaks out. This made me realize how bad this is for kids. Go for a bike ride, break your bike and hurt yourself. Figure out your first aid and how to get your bike working so you can go get help. This is how I learned life skills.

I don’t need criticism…. Just sharing my anecdote.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2022, 04:33 PM   #67
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puxlut View Post
Kids these days have zero coping skills and zero critical thinking and 100% emotional baggage. Is that my fault? Maybe. But I realized yesterday how much screen time she gets That I think is the issue…. She is watching everyone live fake lives and then when real life hits her, she freaks out. This made me realize how bad this is for kids. Go for a bike ride, break your bike and hurt yourself. Figure out your first aid and how to get your bike working so you can go get help. This is how I learned life skills.
This is something I see A LOT. There are a lot of people who have absolute no idea what to do at all when something even barely slightly negative happens beyond...call someone else to be told what to do.

It's rather frightening.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
TKB
Old 10-04-2022, 04:34 PM   #68
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
I prefer Gen Xers to Boomers every single time.
Well duh! Gen X is the best generation. We just quietly go about our business and deal with our #### rather than blame everyone else.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2022, 04:35 PM   #69
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puxlut View Post
I was talking with a friend from high school yesterday ( remember: I grew up in Nanaimo) and she moved out when she was 14 ( bad family life, alcoholism and abuse) I said that there was no way that my kid (13 years old) would be remotely ready to move out on her own in a year!

I don’t need criticism…. Just sharing my anecdote.
Comparison is the thief of joy.

People worry or focus on so much upon what they do or don't have versus others. Breeds jealously and entitlement unfortunately it seems from what I've seen. Social media sucks for that.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 07:04 PM   #70
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

The takeaway from this thread seems to be there are multiple types of people in each generation
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2022, 07:09 PM   #71
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
The takeaway from this thread seems to be there are multiple types of people in each generation
I think you missed the part where Gen X is the best generation.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 07:29 PM   #72
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
In 1987? Interest rates were 10.5-11.5% then (lower if variable).

Affordability vs. today. If you want to talk about irrelevant, start with numbers using 1977 or 1987 dollars and fictional interest rates.
These aren't mortgage rates, but
Bank of Canada rate all time high was over 22% in August 1981. All time low was -0.10% in Oct 2020
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 07:40 PM   #73
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What year does childhood even end at now? 25? I don't recall ever meeting an 18 year old that struck me as being a full on adult.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 07:43 PM   #74
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
What year does childhood even end at now? 25? I don't recall ever meeting an 18 year old that struck me as being a full on adult.
I don't know about you, but when I was 18 I knew everything
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2022, 07:30 PM   #75
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was back and forth between posting this in this thread or the golf thread, but this was higher on the board.

My 14 yo was playing at our course (it's a mid-tier/somewhat casual equity private course), and they were backed up with a foursome waiting on the tee box on the par 3 9th with no one behind them. He went and took 7-8 practice shots from the greenside bunker, not high enough to hit any pitch marks and raking each time and some guy from a home on the course came out and said "son, this is not a practice green." My kid said "Sorry sir, we were waiting on the groups in front of us and I was...", and he cut him off and said "Do not talk back to me kid, I am calling the pro shop" and another adult was on his porch and said "Thanks Greg!".

My kid is a 7 handicap, and pretty respectful of course etiquette. I suppose he was probably breaking some rule about practicing on course. If the guy really had a problem with practice like that, then he could have talked to him with a little more finesse.

My son is pretty tight with the guy in the pro shop. At the turn, he told him that the guy called and told him a kid was hitting multiple shots out of the bunker and was very cocky when he talked to him about it, and amusingly followed it up by saying at least he raked it up nicely behind him. The pro told him he would have done the same as my son if he was waiting, but probably best to not practice in that part of the course again (and that was a perfectly appropriate response).

The point is maybe we need an "adults today" thread. Why act that way to a kid who's spending so much time genuinely working on his golf game? Why go so quickly to "Don't talk back to me..."? Does a kid who is a member at a course have obey a random adult yelling at him from a house?

Our course is generally very friendly to the kids into golf and getting into golf, this just really took me aback and made me try to think what was going through his head.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2022, 07:55 PM   #76
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
I was back and forth between posting this in this thread or the golf thread, but this was higher on the board.

My 14 yo was playing at our course (it's a mid-tier/somewhat casual equity private course), and they were backed up with a foursome waiting on the tee box on the par 3 9th with no one behind them. He went and took 7-8 practice shots from the greenside bunker, not high enough to hit any pitch marks and raking each time and some guy from a home on the course came out and said "son, this is not a practice green." My kid said "Sorry sir, we were waiting on the groups in front of us and I was...", and he cut him off and said "Do not talk back to me kid, I am calling the pro shop" and another adult was on his porch and said "Thanks Greg!".

My kid is a 7 handicap, and pretty respectful of course etiquette. I suppose he was probably breaking some rule about practicing on course. If the guy really had a problem with practice like that, then he could have talked to him with a little more finesse.

My son is pretty tight with the guy in the pro shop. At the turn, he told him that the guy called and told him a kid was hitting multiple shots out of the bunker and was very cocky when he talked to him about it, and amusingly followed it up by saying at least he raked it up nicely behind him. The pro told him he would have done the same as my son if he was waiting, but probably best to not practice in that part of the course again (and that was a perfectly appropriate response).

The point is maybe we need an "adults today" thread. Why act that way to a kid who's spending so much time genuinely working on his golf game? Why go so quickly to "Don't talk back to me..."? Does a kid who is a member at a course have obey a random adult yelling at him from a house?

Our course is generally very friendly to the kids into golf and getting into golf, this just really took me aback and made me try to think what was going through his head.
That's a whole new version of "Get Off My Lawn Kid!". What kind of terrible person polices a golf course from their house. Ultimate pretentiousness.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2022, 07:18 AM   #77
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since this thread is about generations and generation gaps, can someone please explain the fixation with the massive false eyelashes and the huge fake fingernail claws? Is that the new image of beauty? Asking for someone that can't stop laughing.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2022, 07:40 AM   #78
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
Since this thread is about generations and generation gaps, can someone please explain the fixation with the massive false eyelashes and the huge fake fingernail claws? Is that the new image of beauty? Asking for someone that can't stop laughing.
You’ve never thought to yourself, “all that 4 needs is some 2” long eyelashes and she’s be a solid 9”?

I wouldn't say the old man was to outta line by saying something to your kid Nfotiu but he could of handled it better and done without the "Don't talk back to me kid". Many members take it upon themselves to police the course, have done it myself, from carts on the tee box/ fringe to not raking the bunker to slow play, these are all while I'm playing mind you. In most cases it is because casual players do not know or understand why. Really the old man is just looking out for what is best for the course in general but doesn't need to be a d!ck about it.

Last edited by Derek Sutton; 10-06-2022 at 07:59 AM.
Derek Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 07:50 AM   #79
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
You’ve never thought to yourself, “all that 4 needs is some 2” long eyelashes and she’s be a solid 9”?
She probably puts them on thinking “I hope this impresses a couple lonely old 2s on the internet.”
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2022, 07:57 AM   #80
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe people like to dress up for themselves and don't give a #### what randoms think?

No one's here critiquing you for wearing sandals with socks or khaki cargo shorts grandpa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:

Tags
edmonton is no good