Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2022, 03:41 PM   #8381
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Russian partisans and dissidents I guess.
Internal power struggle of one sort or the other always seemed most likely to me.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 03:45 PM   #8382
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa_Flames_Fan View Post
When I see videos like this—and I’m not sure if it’s that I don’t speak Ukrainian, or my general lack of any military understanding or knowledge—but I honestly don’t know what I’m seeing here.
its the south, the Kherson front, the ground is so flat, it's telling because last week the Ukrainians couldnt move, neither could the Russians, flat ground like that is an anathema to mobile warfare, now the Ukrainians can tool around with little fear
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2022, 03:47 PM   #8383
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
It's good to remember that everything Ukraine posts is more or less straight up propaganda, and that the difference in morale causes creates differences in what people will complain about. Ukrainians aren't likely to post videos about their crappy gear.

Doesn't mean there isn't a real difference of course, there's plenty of evidence that Russian troops are being sent out with incredibly subpar equipment. But I wouldn't take what the Ukrainians are posting as the reality of their average.
??

That 2nd video is from a Russian Telegram account (most of Dmitri's videos are telegram videos translated for english users)

At the beginning of the war, most definitely there were pleas on Twitter for better gear most specifically from the initial Territorial Defense Forces who didn't have enough helmets or flak jackets. Ukraine obviously was lacking in equipment for a fully mobilized army.

At the same time, Ukraine was in the process of getting itself to NATO standards and it shows both in their equipment and training compared to 2014. Russia invaded without night vision goggles, something which is common issue for Ukraine special forces and was instrumental in the initial weeks for disrupting Russia's logistics and vital for the defense of Kharkiv for instance.

https://www.unian.info/society/10686...m-in-2020.html

https://www.forbes.com/sites/katyago...h=6eed28813d29

This isn't propaganda. Ukraine upgraded its military significantly since 2014. With the onset of the war and the NATO standard training for newly mobilized troops, that progress was accelerated significantly and there is now a significant and measurable quality of troop difference.

Last edited by Firebot; 10-05-2022 at 03:56 PM.
Firebot is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Firebot For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2022, 03:57 PM   #8384
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

It also took a lot of time for the UAF to stockpile the supplies they have now. My wife has many contacts in Ukraine whose husbands/partners are in the armed forces. During the stalemate over the summer she was constantly telling me how her friend's partners were all complaining they were ready to romp the Russians out, but none of them had the proper equipment so many of them were just waiting around extremely frustrated, watching the Russians bomb the #### out of their country. At least that's how it was in Kharkiv Oblast. Once they got stocked up the counterattack was able to take place.

Now that the weapons have arrived en mass, we're seeing more of it in action. But there was definitely a shortage a few months ago.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2022, 04:39 PM   #8385
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can't find the tweets now, but it looks like Moscow police are detaining a member of Preghozin's media services (Preghozin owns the Wagner mercenaries hired by Putin to work in Ukraine).

Preghozin and Khadyrov (Chechen leader) have been criticizing Shoigu (the Russian Minister of Defense) for how the war is unfolding. The weird part is, it looks as though neither Wagner nor the Chechen's are really committing to the fight. Wagner is just doing small frontal assaults to Bakhmut which is strategically useless now with the area that AFU have taken, and Chechen's are just doing some drills and taking pictures as though they're in the fight. Are they saving men for something else???
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2022, 04:45 PM   #8386
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kadyrov is probably saving men so he doesn't get strung up in the square.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 06:08 PM   #8387
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Kadyrov is probably saving men so he doesn't get strung up in the square.
That dude honestly bothers me more than Putin. You just look into his eyes in videos and can tell he's pure evil and an absolute savage. He looks like an aged, Eastern European version of Fred Durst. Probably just as charming too...
Sainters7 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2022, 06:12 PM   #8388
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought he was going to "retire"?
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 10:05 PM   #8389
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

John Bolton really shouldn't be using the words "regime change" with his history.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1577649887705010176
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2022, 10:23 PM   #8390
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubbs View Post
From the comments of that tweet, it looks like the big gun disrupts the communications between the drone and the controller and causes it to descend slowly to the ground... which is pretty awesome and safer than drones dropping out of the sky left and right.

That’s a standard safety feature of commercial drones. Lose contact…land
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 04:56 AM   #8391
Francis's Hairpiece
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Any reliable sources found the Belgorod Sub yet?
Old 10-06-2022, 07:22 AM   #8392
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Torture chamber found in Izyum with a box of gold fillings. Who are the Nazis in this conflict?

https://twitter.com/user/status/1577409345037692928
The bin of gold teeth was looted from a dentist office according to BILD. Torture still took place in the location they were found.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 07:38 AM   #8393
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

I missed posting this last week, but #### yeah!

https://www.canada.ca/en/department-...d-kingdom.html

Hollywood Battalion teaching killing.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2022, 08:53 AM   #8394
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
The bin of gold teeth was looted from a dentist office according to BILD. Torture still took place in the location they were found.
Appreciate you clarifying that post. The propoganda and straight up fake news from most sources these days coupled with social media makes trying to stay current that much harder if you aren't just looking to see and read what you want to.
Old 10-06-2022, 09:40 AM   #8395
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Appreciate you clarifying that post. The propoganda and straight up fake news from most sources these days coupled with social media makes trying to stay current that much harder if you aren't just looking to see and read what you want to.
I noticed a lot of really sensational stories getting sent to me through my MSN and Apple News feeds. Then when I check the sources, they are from the Telegraph, EurAsia News, Daily Mail, Newsweek, NY Post, Sun, etc... and are often using Twitter as their original source for the news. When I Google the stories to see if anyone else is saying anything, no other reputable sources are picking them up (BBC, CNN, Al Jazeera, DW, CBC, AP, Reuters, ABC, France24, etc...).

I don't know if MSN and Apple are compromised or lazy, but it is really annoying and not very responsible.
Itse, kn
Old 10-06-2022, 09:51 AM   #8396
eddly
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Why is Russia bombing it’s own “citizens” in the annexed territories…

eddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 12:54 PM   #8397
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are Ukraine forces still gobbling up land at blitzkrieg pace? Honestly, I come to this thread for news now.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2022, 12:59 PM   #8398
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I noticed a lot of really sensational stories getting sent to me through my MSN and Apple News feeds. Then when I check the sources, they are from the Telegraph, EurAsia News, Daily Mail, Newsweek, NY Post, Sun, etc... and are often using Twitter as their original source for the news. When I Google the stories to see if anyone else is saying anything, no other reputable sources are picking them up (BBC, CNN, Al Jazeera, DW, CBC, AP, Reuters, ABC, France24, etc...).

I don't know if MSN and Apple are compromised or lazy, but it is really annoying and not very responsible.
Even the BBC has been caught photoshopping photos etc to align with a narrative. But that's also my point - it's getting harder and harder to accept things you read or see with confidence.
Old 10-06-2022, 01:27 PM   #8399
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Even the BBC has been caught photoshopping photos etc to align with a narrative. But that's also my point - it's getting harder and harder to accept things you read or see with confidence.
Who photoshopped in the dirty dildo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 01:39 PM   #8400
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Are Ukraine forces still gobbling up land at blitzkrieg pace? Honestly, I come to this thread for news now.
In the East they've had a good ten day stretch, but it sounds like they are re-grouping/re-supplying after taking Lyman, and intend to push through to Svatove/Kreminna soon.

In the South things are very fluid, and it appears as though the Russians are falling back to hastily constructed secondary lines after retreating from Davydiv Brid and Dudchany. This is a something that could snowball on the Russians in a hurry, and lead to a quick collapse of the whole Kherson area in a relatively short time frame. This is definitely the area to watch currently, but I wonder if Ukraine doesn't make a stab south from Zaporizhizia at some point to fix Russian reinforcements to that area.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IliketoPuck For This Useful Post:

Tags
atrocity , badass zelensky , lying russians , mad man , sneaky fn russian , war sucks