Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2022, 12:08 AM   #641
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

He kinda snapped and just started doing nothing but trolling, then silently dissapeared
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 12:22 AM   #642
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
He kinda snapped and just started doing nothing but trolling, then silently dissapeared
Oh yeah, that was it. I now remember even posters that liked him being like "dude, you're going too far". His creation of the "gun nuts" thread was part of that.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 12:47 AM   #643
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I'm starting to remember now. Pretty sure I ended up blocking him near the end there.

Seen that a few times over the last few years sadly, lost of lot of people I consider friends from assorted online communities because they spent way too much time just mainlining politics and social media and losing it to the point that they couldn't even stand being around people that had different views than them

Hope he's doing alright
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2022, 09:39 AM   #644
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

That’s why I follow politics just enough to remain informed but not enough to get sucked into the vortex. Seen too many people go bat #### crazy and ruin relationships and careers. Seen two long tenured guys at work fistfight over politics leading to both getting fired. So dumb.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2022, 03:11 PM   #645
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

There was this Rabbi who lived in a small Russian town at the turn of the century. And after twenty years of pondering the very deepest religious questions and spiritual issues in life, he finally came to the conclusion that when he got right down to the rock bottom, he just didn't know.

Shortly after reaching that conclusion, he was walking across the village square on his way to the synagogue to pray. The cossack, or local czarist cop of this little town, was in a bad mood that morning and thought he would take it out on the Rabbi. So he yelled, "Hey, Rabbi, where the hell do you think you're going?"

The Rabbi answered, "I don't know."

This infuriated the cossack even more. "What do you mean you don't know where you're going?" he exclaimed in outrage. "Every morning at eleven o'clock you have crossed this village square on the way to the synogogue to pray, and here it is eleven o'clock in the morning and you're going in the direction of the synoguge and you try to tell me you don't know where you are going. You're trying to make some kind of fool out of me and i'll teach you not to do that."

So the cossack grabbed the Rabbi and took him off to the local jail. And just as he was about to throw him into the cell the Rabbi turned to him and commented, "You see, you just don't know."

Fact is no one knows. We dwell in a profoundly mysterious universe. In the words of Thomas Edison, "We don't even begin to understand one percent about ninety percent of anything"."
Old 10-11-2022, 10:29 AM   #646
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

That Tarzan animated film from the 90s is actually a great movie. Just the right amount of predictable and just the right amount of violence. Phil Collins is on fire too.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 11:10 AM   #647
BrolyTheUnholy
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I have thoughts about this new thing that's being announced where companies are installing software that monitors keystrokes on employees' computers, takes screenshots every 10 minutes, and tracks what they do all day. On one hand it seems like a horrible invasion of privacy and on the other, I can see why companies want to see what they're paying people to do, especially with so many working from home now. But is it necessary? Surely you'd be able to tell if an employee is on YouTube all day rather than working if their output is lacking or minimal, so tracking software wouldn't be necessary if supervisors were supervising and doing regular check-ins. I feel like I'm leaning more on the "inappropriate, micromanaging, and invasive" side.
BrolyTheUnholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 11:13 AM   #648
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah that's just lazy management to me. Either someone is getting their work done, or they aren't. Track their work not their activity
Old 10-11-2022, 06:40 PM   #649
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone seen any hot air balloons around Calgary? That's a late summer/early fall thing no?

Is it not a thing anymore?
Old 10-11-2022, 06:52 PM   #650
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Has anyone seen any hot air balloons around Calgary? That's a late summer/early fall thing no?

August/September I'd see them over Fish Creek every Saturday/Sunday morning on my drive home from work
Old 10-11-2022, 07:01 PM   #651
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

They used to store their balloons and equipment next door to my old office and I'd do the taxes for a good number of their operators which, I must admit, was pretty interesting seeing as most of them are from Eastern Europe and are doing this as a gig.

Fun story, my first year at that office they started moving their equipment into the parking lot and got me wondering, "what the hell is going on out there?"

Well. They do a meal where they boil a ton of corn. In the parking lot.

They take a gigantic cauldron, fill it with water and corn. Then they take a Balloon 'engine' the burner things that fill the balloon with hot air, lay it on its side in the parking lot aaaand....fire it up to boil the water.

It was a unique event.

A 20 foot plume of Flame will generate some attention.

A quick 'Heads Up' for the new guy would have been appreciated because the heat and the noise was insane and the displacement shook the building.

I think they're still around, but I havent seen them in a long time.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2022, 07:48 PM   #652
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

A few weeks ago, directly over the Blackfoot Inn.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2022, 07:57 PM   #653
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
A few weeks ago, directly over the Blackfoot Inn.
Thats one of their take-off locations.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 10-11-2022, 08:30 PM   #654
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Quote:

I've probably seen a dozen or so on my way to work the last few weeks, usually somewhere around Glenmore/Stoney/Crowchild in the SW
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calf For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2022, 08:38 PM   #655
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

They need pretty particular weather conditions to take off don't they? I've always wanted to try one, but it sounded like basically flying standby and weren't sure when you'd get to go.
Old 10-11-2022, 08:42 PM   #656
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They need pretty particular weather conditions to take off don't they? I've always wanted to try one, but it sounded like basically flying standby and weren't sure when you'd get to go.
Okay...well...I can speak to that too because I have done it.

You are not wrong.

Its worse than standby though because you tend to show up in parks and hotel parking lots on random days at 6am waiting for a last-second 'Go or No Go.'

They do have a phone number that you call the night before which lets you know if you should even bother showing up, but it absolutely is a Game Time Decision in the parking lot.

My mom bought her friend a flight as a gift and I think it took her around 2 years and dozens of attempts to actually get up in the air.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2022, 08:45 PM   #657
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Okay...well...I can speak to that too because I have done it.

You are not wrong.

Its worse than standby though because you tend to show up in parks and hotel parking lots on random days at 6am waiting for a last-second 'Go or No Go.'

They do have a phone number that you call the night before which lets you know if you should even bother showing up, but it absolutely is a Game Time Decision in the parking lot.

My mom bought her friend a flight as a gift and I think it took her around 2 years and dozens of attempts to actually get up in the air.
Hmm, you didn't say if it was worth it though? What would be better, helicopter ride over the Rockies, or hot air balloon ride over Calgary?
Old 10-11-2022, 08:52 PM   #658
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hmm, you didn't say if it was worth it though? What would be better, helicopter ride over the Rockies, or hot air balloon ride over Calgary?
I havent done the Helicopter ride (Haha! Accountant Jokes!) but the Balloon trip was amazing. It was really, really cool.

Thing is though...its a personal call. I've done it and I'll probably never do it again.

The company is excellent, the ride is a blast and an experience you'll never forget, the process of getting into the air is an unmitigated nightmare that will consume your soul for years.

I want to be clear, the company was phenomenal, its just the uncontrollable eccentricities of the process. You will loiter in hotel parking lots at 5 or 6am a few times a month...probably for years.

I'm not exaggerating. You might get lucky, but odds are it will actually take years to get up in the air.

You gotta really want it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2022, 09:01 PM   #659
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

You couldn't get me in a random parking lot at 5am even once, so I can confidently say I'll never go in a hot air balloon...ever again. You see, because I, too, have been in a hot air balloon. The year was 1992. It was Canada's 125th birthday. I was celebrating at some city park and there I went up about 50' in a tethered balloon. It was kind of neat.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 09:30 PM   #660
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
You couldn't get me in a random parking lot at 5am even once, so I can confidently say I'll never go in a hot air balloon...ever again. You see, because I, too, have been in a hot air balloon. The year was 1992. It was Canada's 125th birthday. I was celebrating at some city park and there I went up about 50' in a tethered balloon. It was kind of neat.
The thing is...it can be so hard.

I'm self-employed, so there are times when its no problem and there are times when its simply impossible. Furthermore, I can juggle things, although that can be a pain in the ass on its own, but my wife is an employee, there are limited days she can just take off.

So if you take the Day off but you dont 'Take Off' then the day is essentially wasted.

Its tough.

I'm not trying to talk people out of it, because it is awesome, I'm just trying to convey the realities of the experience.