Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2022, 04:54 PM   #4001
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

FYI the 10th st bike lane has now re-opened at 16th ave, so that section is back to it's normal hazards, like e-scooter riders crawling off the line with their headphones on.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 08:22 AM   #4002
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

well ride #2 on the wifes bike was much better than ride 1 thanks to properly inflated tires and a better seat adjustment. Hopefully i get my rig back in the next few days.

riding along the ridge this morning in douglasdale was odd, as there was fog in several places. cant say that i ride in fog often. and came around a bit of a blind corner to find deer on the wrong side of the path.

awesome to be comfortably wearing shorts in ocotober
Old 10-08-2022, 05:20 PM   #4003
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've been commuting on my road bike to work since May. I'm now at 940km.

I was away on vacation for one month this summer. I usually bike to work 3 weeks out of every month as I travel for work the other week.

I'm away for work this week, but am hoping to hit 1000km before the snow comes.

I've really enjoying cycling this year. The thought of having to drive my car to work makes me feel sick. I'll keep going even with the cold, until the snow hits.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Johnny199r For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2022, 12:18 PM   #4004
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I currently have a bit of a bet with a co-worker with respect to who quits biking into work first. I have a slight advantage as I have a ton of clothes, where he is just getting the cycling bug.

Yesterday I decided to knock a route of my mental list as I rode a big north side loop at west bragg where I rode telephone, long distance, reconnect, Merlin, kestrel, Tom snow North to bragging rights. It was a 31k loop with 800m of up. Took me 3h40m. And I did do some pushing.

I was ready to lose my mind as I was getting to Merlin’s view as I got passed by some guy who was riding in stealth mode. I was a little more prepared when his buddy passed me with the same technique. I let them both know what I thought of thier riding, and they left a wake of annoyed cyclists behind them as it was a bit of a discussion point at Merlin’s view.
Old 10-09-2022, 01:59 PM   #4005
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I really enjoy the fully finished Kestrel loop. I like doing kestrel then back around onto Merlin again to get the Merlin downhill in, it’s just too good to miss out on. That’s about 29k, just did that 2 days ago.

I’m loving this fall weather.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 03:53 PM   #4006
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

So you ride kestrel to the bottom where it intersects with Tom snow North and then ride back up kestrel and then head back to Merlin?

I really like Tom Snow north back to where it connects with merlin.

Yeah, this never winding summer has been something else
Old 10-09-2022, 06:03 PM   #4007
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Actually I’ve done the backtrack up kestrel before it was completed all the way to Tom snow, but I mean taking Tom snow until it merges with Merlin then taking it back around for the full Merlin loop to get the good downhill in.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 08:36 AM   #4008
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

thought my ride this morning would be cut short as i leave my house in New Brighton at around 6.40 so it is dark. Got on the pathway in lake mackenzie and just got going and saw the back end of a skunk crossing the path. Swerved to create as much distance as possible and thankfully if he sprayed, i was out of the range. first time i have seen a skunk on the pathway.

i am thinking that today will be the last ride without ear and toe covers.

i am also hoping today is my last commute on my wifes bike as i wait for the new rims to be built for my gravel bike. The hubs were supposed to come in on monday
Old 10-19-2022, 10:04 AM   #4009
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
thought my ride this morning would be cut short as i leave my house in New Brighton at around 6.40 so it is dark. Got on the pathway in lake mackenzie and just got going and saw the back end of a skunk crossing the path. Swerved to create as much distance as possible and thankfully if he sprayed, i was out of the range. first time i have seen a skunk on the pathway.

i am thinking that today will be the last ride without ear and toe covers.

i am also hoping today is my last commute on my wifes bike as i wait for the new rims to be built for my gravel bike. The hubs were supposed to come in on monday
Tomorrow morning will be 10!!! So will the afternoon but that's not the point.
I fine the deer in carburn very hard to see, blend right in with the leaves and are in no hurry to get off the path.

Last edited by Icantwhisper; 10-19-2022 at 10:35 AM.
Icantwhisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 11:47 AM   #4010
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I encountered a skunk in the evening on the nose creek pathway earlier this year. Was wearing my heartrate monitor when it darted in front of me — I've never seen it spike like that before, instant red zone lol.

Thankfully I hauled on the brakes (discs for the win) and the skunk didn't spray me either. He continued his dart across the path and I kept an eye on every rustle in the grass the rest of the way home.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 12:50 PM   #4011
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icantwhisper View Post
Tomorrow morning will be 10!!! So will the afternoon but that's not the point.
I fine the deer in carburn very hard to see, blend right in with the leaves and are in no hurry to get off the path.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames0910 View Post
I encountered a skunk in the evening on the nose creek pathway earlier this year. Was wearing my heartrate monitor when it darted in front of me — I've never seen it spike like that before, instant red zone lol.

Thankfully I hauled on the brakes (discs for the win) and the skunk didn't spray me either. He continued his dart across the path and I kept an eye on every rustle in the grass the rest of the way home.
Nose creek and the Bow pathway around the zoo have been Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom this year. I've encountered multiple skunks, porcupines, deer, coyotes, and beavers in the dark of 5:30am.

Last edited by Bigtime; 10-19-2022 at 01:32 PM.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 01:44 PM   #4012
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Vehiclular traffic this week really grinds me gears. Traffic and along with it the angst and road rage type behaviors make me glad to be on my bike BUT dealing with the random u turns, door openings, parking in active cycling lanes, partial pulling into bike lanes, all the friggin ninja riders and too many ninja drivers, etc aaaaargh.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2022, 03:56 PM   #4013
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

This looks to be it for 20C+ temps this year so make sure you get out for a ride. It's been a hell of a fall. We actually got a fall.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2022, 04:56 PM   #4014
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Winter bike is tuned up and ready to go. Sorry all.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2022, 07:10 PM   #4015
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Well my tires finally showed up from the Netherlands yesterday. Got it mounted last night using a metric heap of dish soap and what ever pry tools I could find around the house. It was tricky but I now have a set of moto tires on my cargo bike! Managed to finally get a ride in tonight after being down for a month.

surferguy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2022, 05:12 AM   #4016
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I opened the weather app when I woke up and thought I would bike in as long as it was at least 5 degrees. Well, it is +17. Can wear just normal biking gloves too.

Last edited by Flabbibulin; 10-20-2022 at 05:14 AM.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 06:35 AM   #4017
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Careful folks, these are the fall days that trick you! By 4pm it will be 9°C, chance of showers and north winds up to 50km/h. Toss a jacket in your bag!
Old 10-20-2022, 07:00 AM   #4018
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ not sure if you are suggesting that this could be a possibility in general or a forecast for this afternoon as per the weather network - 10 with winds gusts up to 14 from the NE this afternoon, which hopefully give me a chance to do some raking and whatnot before green bin day tomorrow
Old 10-20-2022, 07:29 AM   #4019
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm looking at the hourly...

https://weather.gc.ca/forecast/hourl..._metric_e.html
Old 10-20-2022, 09:03 AM   #4020
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

clearly the weather network is lying to me......