Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2022, 09:53 PM   #1
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Walking Treadmills

Looking for some CP help.

My wife and I were kicking around the idea of getting a walking treadmill for use in our TV room, where we could walk while watching TV or playing the Switch. Neither of us are big on treadmill running, so we figured we could get something less heavy-duty and the "walking under desk" treadmill category seems to fit our needs.

Has anyone bought anything like this and have advice or recommendations? We looked at a couple of review lists and two seemed to be on several of the lists:

SuperFit 2.25HP 2-in-1 Folding Under-Desk Walking Pad - https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

CITYSPORTS Foldable Treadmill, 440W Under Desk Treadmill - https://www.amazon.ca/CITYSPORTS-Tre...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

We're not afraid to pay a bit more for higher quality, but obviously don't want to overbuy for our needs. Seems like something around $400 or $500 would get us there? Any help is appreciated!
Old 09-29-2022, 11:36 PM   #2
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
Looking for some CP help.

My wife and I were kicking around the idea of getting a walking treadmill for use in our TV room, where we could walk while watching TV or playing the Switch. Neither of us are big on treadmill running, so we figured we could get something less heavy-duty and the "walking under desk" treadmill category seems to fit our needs.

Has anyone bought anything like this and have advice or recommendations? We looked at a couple of review lists and two seemed to be on several of the lists:

SuperFit 2.25HP 2-in-1 Folding Under-Desk Walking Pad - https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

CITYSPORTS Foldable Treadmill, 440W Under Desk Treadmill - https://www.amazon.ca/CITYSPORTS-Tre...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

We're not afraid to pay a bit more for higher quality, but obviously don't want to overbuy for our needs. Seems like something around $400 or $500 would get us there? Any help is appreciated!
I fail to see the point of a folding treadmill, how are you going to drape it with slightly worn clothes and laundry baskets if it's under the bed?
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2022, 12:18 AM   #3
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Essentially you are buying a motor that spins a belt on a frame.

The second one has a. .6HP motor which is tiny even for waking treadmills. It also doesn’t list continuous or instant duty so you have to assume it’s peak. The first one is either 2.25 continuous or peak as it says it differently in two places. I assume that is peak and would try to find its continuous before buying.

For walking as long as it’s 1.5 continuous or higher you are probably okay. Look for a 1 year warranty and a higher weight limit as a sign of durability. I would be wary of sub 250lb weight limits and sun year warranty.

Why are you looking at a treadmill over a bike or elliptical? At the low end of the market it’s tough to find something that will last and a by not having a motor a bike could be better value.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2022, 12:59 AM   #4
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Essentially you are buying a motor that spins a belt on a frame.

The second one has a. .6HP motor which is tiny even for waking treadmills. It also doesn’t list continuous or instant duty so you have to assume it’s peak. The first one is either 2.25 continuous or peak as it says it differently in two places. I assume that is peak and would try to find its continuous before buying.

For walking as long as it’s 1.5 continuous or higher you are probably okay. Look for a 1 year warranty and a higher weight limit as a sign of durability. I would be wary of sub 250lb weight limits and sun year warranty.

Why are you looking at a treadmill over a bike or elliptical? At the low end of the market it’s tough to find something that will last and a by not having a motor a bike could be better value.

I can't speak for the OP but for some people it is preference. I just can't ride a stationary bike but I can walk on a treadmill but I love to get on my bicycle and go for a rip around town.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 07:14 AM   #5
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m looking into a heavy duty walking treadmill for my desk due to WFH. My research so far says that upkeep and hours of use are critical. I haven’t bought anything yet.

I have 2 questions for the OP to consider.

1) why not get a real treadmill that can elevate and likely has more continuous power.
2) if watching TV, check the noise of the machine.

For positive feedback on your idea, I worked with a guy who basically walked away his excess weight just because he put a treadmill in front of his TV in the basement. I couldn’t believe the difference when I saw him. And that’s all that he did.
Old 09-30-2022, 08:33 AM   #6
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

while i do not have a specific recommendation on a machine, i have read many times that part of the reason that people stop using at home machines is the fact they are poor quality relative to the ones at the gym.

I'd have a good look on kijiji, FB marketplace etc to see what your options are for used and then maybe go to a fitness store to ahve a look and then perhaps SportChek or Can Tire to get a sense of the the feel of various units
Old 09-30-2022, 08:37 AM   #7
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just do squats like you would be doing on silent mode for ring fit adventure.

Seriously though... My inlaws do weird walking on the spot and stretch moves while watching TV. It's like waterless water aerobics.
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 09:18 AM   #8
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

We have one the wife uses 3 or 4 times a week. I could look up the brand but we bought it off of Kijiji early in covid.

Can’t run on it so it has held up totally fine.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 09:48 AM   #9
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Have you considered one of these?

https://www.amazon.ca/Cubii-Jr-Ellip...265&th=1&psc=1
Old 09-30-2022, 09:54 AM   #10
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
I picked up the Cubii JR2 at Beacon shoppers a few weeks ago when the $200 in points for $300 credit promotion was on. I think it was $280 there, but the girl also said there was a pricing error, but they'd honor the $280 price.
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 11:15 AM   #11
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thanks for the input everyone, especially the discussion about motor HP.

For those wondering about other options, the walking treadmill appealed for it's low profile and ability to be hidden. An elliptical, bike, or full blown treadmill are just too big for our space and would be too much of an eyesore since they cannot be hidden. We're also not looking for major exercise anyway - I get that out of the house easily.
Old 10-04-2022, 11:19 AM   #12
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
I fail to see the point of a folding treadmill, how are you going to drape it with slightly worn clothes and laundry baskets if it's under the bed?
Life hack, get a bowflex, it comes with so many hangars you will never run out.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Raekwon For This Useful Post: