Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2011, 12:45 PM   #421
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama64 View Post
Removing auto-attack is probably the best thing I could hope for. Yup, definitely loading this up tonight. How long did it take to download off the EA store?

I think Blizzard offering Diablo 3 for free for people who get a year subscription to WoW says volumes about where they think the marketplace is. But I doubt they have an answer - they are addicted to the cash cow atm.

I really wish the subscription cost on these games would drop to $5-$8. Or perhaps drop the initial cost of buying the client to 10-15$. More people would try more games which just seems healthier to me.

The client download was quick for me, but the first time I started it it took over an hour and a half for it to download key components and upgrades.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:21 PM   #422
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
The client download was quick for me, but the first time I started it it took over an hour and a half for it to download key components and upgrades.
remember it's a 28 gig download for everything, a big bulk of which is the voice work. Bioware does have some huge bandwidth though, when i downloaded mine it used up all of my 50 mbps connection
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:28 PM   #423
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

About to start today, was thinking a sith sorcerer.

How does everyone feel about their classes?
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:35 PM   #424
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I started as a Sith Warrior and chose the Juggernaut class. I like a lot of aspects of it but there's no ranged attacks, no Lightning or anything like that, so you can tend to get cornered and beat down.

With the exception of the med packs there doesn't seem to be a in combat healing feature as Sith Rage only works outside of combat.

But its kind of cool striding into a battle and sparking up the slow extending red light saber and hitting a combo move followed by a vicious slash and hearing your enemy die.

I'm still looking for some headgear to complete the Darth look I'm going for though, but I've noticed that as I've slid towards darkness that my eyes are turning yellow and my skin is a little paler.

Over all the thing is just immersive, I'm off on a quest to infiltrate a group of heretics that I intend to slowly kill later.

Old 12-28-2011, 02:47 PM   #425
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Imperial Agent storyline is REALLY GOOD!

I'm having a blast playing this - level 31 one right now, but I leave for Mexico on Saturday -trying to wrap up Act I before I leave!
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:16 PM   #426
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
I started as a Sith Warrior and chose the Juggernaut class. I like a lot of aspects of it but there's no ranged attacks, no Lightning or anything like that, so you can tend to get cornered and beat down.

With the exception of the med packs there doesn't seem to be a in combat healing feature as Sith Rage only works outside of combat.

But its kind of cool striding into a battle and sparking up the slow extending red light saber and hitting a combo move followed by a vicious slash and hearing your enemy die.

I'm still looking for some headgear to complete the Darth look I'm going for though, but I've noticed that as I've slid towards darkness that my eyes are turning yellow and my skin is a little paler.

Over all the thing is just immersive, I'm off on a quest to infiltrate a group of heretics that I intend to slowly kill later.
you're intended to be a tank, you don't move very fast or do a crazy amount of damage, but you're a behemoth who can take a lot of punishment. my Jedi Guardian is the mirror of your class, and i have him at level 30. not sure what level you are, but somewhere between 15-20 i got a companion that isn't very tough but does a lot of damage. balances me out very well, and i've had zero issues questing by myself. PVP is also quite fun compared to most any other MMO as a tank, since you get points in warzones for guarding people and taunting enemies (making them do 30% less damage to everyone else but you). and by level 30 if you go pure defender tree, you get some nice stuns. 1v1 i can handle myself pretty well against any other class
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:37 PM   #427
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama64 View Post
Do the ranged weapon based classes function like hunters do in WoW (select target, click auto-attack, go get sandwich) or is it more interactive (click to shoot)?
While others have mentioned that there is no auto-attack, having no auto-attack also means, no auto-defense. I learned that one the hard way, too.

Killed a pack, standing proud over their corpses. Head off for a bio, come back dead because the pack respawned and even if your character is getting the *%^# kicked out of him, he won't hit back unless you (the player) tell him to...
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:49 PM   #428
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

What race should I be or does it make a difference?
Old 12-28-2011, 05:45 PM   #429
Superfraggle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
What race should I be or does it make a difference?
Not sure how much of a difference it makes. Imperials don't like aliens very much, and it's reflected in some of the dialogue, but I don't know if it actually changes anything.
Superfraggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 06:45 PM   #430
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

How about stats and such?
Old 12-28-2011, 07:19 PM   #431
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
How about stats and such?
Nope. The "racial benefits" aren't described much anywhere, and can't be a whole lot, since the Twi'lek one is "a special dance". If that was all they got, folks would be up in an uproar. From what I can see, pick a visual that appeals to you. You'll be looking at it for a while (especially from the rear, which few people actually look at while in Character Creation).
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:53 PM   #432
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Got my ship and my droid

Off to blast some scum bag republicans.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:06 AM   #433
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Nope. The "racial benefits" aren't described much anywhere, and can't be a whole lot, since the Twi'lek one is "a special dance". If that was all they got, folks would be up in an uproar. From what I can see, pick a visual that appeals to you. You'll be looking at it for a while (especially from the rear, which few people actually look at while in Character Creation).
I picked a fat ass sith inquisitor. His voice is also high and kinda nasally too.

I can't stop giggling while playing this game.
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:12 AM   #434
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
you're intended to be a tank, you don't move very fast or do a crazy amount of damage, but you're a behemoth who can take a lot of punishment. my Jedi Guardian is the mirror of your class, and i have him at level 30.
Guardians/Juggernauts are only intended to be tanks if they spec into the tanking tree. If you put your skill points in one of the dps trees instead, you will do relatively equivalent dps compared to any other class. Unlike WoW, there is no intended "hybrid tax" in SWTOR; any class that is properly specced for damage dealing should be able to do so effectively.
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:52 AM   #435
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

So I hit level 16, got my starship and I'm going out to impose my master's will by killing his agents and going after a Jedi Padawan with a unique girt.

But as I'm leaving Drummond Kass I've left some missions unfinished and I'd like to finish those first, but they seem to be nearly impossible. And those are the hero missions, whether heroic + 2 or +4 where every enemy seems to be at an elite level and I get my butt kicked.

There's the droid transmission one, where I fight my way through the droids (incredibly tough) and then I run into mercenaries and one on one I'm no match, let alone 2 or three on one. There's also the one where you recover the ruins from the bodies and every monster is elite, my companion will blast away while I hammer on it and they won't go down. The other one is the Slave rebellion where I have to grab the explosives and plant them on drills and the Slave masters are just psycho.

I know I don't have to do those missions, but I would like to clear the planet before I leave.

Does Heroic +2 for example mean that I have to recruit a couple of people to help me out?

Old 12-29-2011, 12:36 PM   #436
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
So I hit level 16, got my starship and I'm going out to impose my master's will by killing his agents and going after a Jedi Padawan with a unique girt.

But as I'm leaving Drummond Kass I've left some missions unfinished and I'd like to finish those first, but they seem to be nearly impossible. And those are the hero missions, whether heroic + 2 or +4 where every enemy seems to be at an elite level and I get my butt kicked.

There's the droid transmission one, where I fight my way through the droids (incredibly tough) and then I run into mercenaries and one on one I'm no match, let alone 2 or three on one. There's also the one where you recover the ruins from the bodies and every monster is elite, my companion will blast away while I hammer on it and they won't go down. The other one is the Slave rebellion where I have to grab the explosives and plant them on drills and the Slave masters are just psycho.

I know I don't have to do those missions, but I would like to clear the planet before I leave.

Does Heroic +2 for example mean that I have to recruit a couple of people to help me out?
ya those are group quests so doing it solo is hard to impossible. Anytime you see purple text pop up saying (HEROIC AREA), that's a sign that you probably need a group

you should see people in the general chat looking to group up for some of those quests.

Usually you get some pretty good rewards for doing them so i would recommend finishing them before you move on.

As for the number on the quest tracker (2, 2+, 4), that's the recommended number of people for the quest.

For some of the 4 man quests early on you can do them with 3 people and a companion. Later on that gets a lot more difficult to do.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:40 PM   #437
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm playing a Marauder and was getting pretty frustrated at not being able to solo pretty much anything. Then I found out that Quinn has a "healing aura" which ups his healing by 25% and that you could also disable his attacks so he pretty much just heals.

Now soloing is much better. Even two strong two normal packs are manageable.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:53 PM   #438
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I'm playing a Marauder and was getting pretty frustrated at not being able to solo pretty much anything. Then I found out that Quinn has a "healing aura" which ups his healing by 25% and that you could also disable his attacks so he pretty much just heals.

Now soloing is much better. Even two strong two normal packs are manageable.

Who is this quinn person?

Old 12-29-2011, 02:01 PM   #439
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

I really shouldn't read this thread. It keeps making me want to buy it. I just came off 3 years of a pretty steady amount of WoW (endgame raided TBC and Wrath completely, got to 85 in Cataclysm, did some heroics and quit), so I know the timesink this stuff can become. Also, I know it takes time for endgame stuff to really get moving along in new MMOs, so I'm tempted to wait. Otherwise I'm paying money per month to play what is basically an expansive single player campaign.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:17 PM   #440
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

What is the lvl cap?