Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2023, 11:42 AM   #2021
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
Take it easy on him, he's just excited about his new watch.

hahaha, awesome.

It's a helium escape valve for all those times I'm in a diving bell after deep-sea diving. As I re-pressurize to sea level over the course of a couple weeks I'll need to activate my escape valve so the crystal doesn't shatter. Duh.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2023, 11:43 AM   #2022
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was hoping someone would catch on...
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 02:22 PM   #2023
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
hahaha, awesome.

It's a helium escape valve for all those times I'm in a diving bell after deep-sea diving. As I re-pressurize to sea level over the course of a couple weeks I'll need to activate my escape valve so the crystal doesn't shatter. Duh.
Very nice!

But you ain't retired. You'll be back in around... 10-15 years when those watches finally die (natural or unnatural causes) and it's time to balance the difference between repairing and replacing them. It's either that or something reasonably priced "whimsical" comes to your attention and you know you'll regret not pulling the trigger.

Plus looking for watches to upgrade your kids or your wife's watch ain't considered retired.

Take it from someone who said, "I think I'm good until I aim for a holy grail!" and then I kept finding some fun stuff for under $250... so some were suggestions to the wife when she had no idea what to get me for birthday and special occasions/milestone celebrations etc.

It was kinda fun to see your evolution over like 24 months or so when you tipped your toe in with a Seiko 5 to now owning an Omega. Congrats!
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2023, 03:13 PM   #2024
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

I get confused by the title…Watches you wear…as opposed to watches you don’t wear??

Anyway, I started wearing my watch again for the first time in 15 years. This is the opposite of chunky. Unfortunately the sapphire crystal on the stem is broken and needs to be replaced.

edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2023, 05:06 PM   #2025
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
I get confused by the title…Watches you wear…as opposed to watches you don’t wear??

Anyway, I started wearing my watch again for the first time in 15 years. This is the opposite of chunky. Unfortunately the sapphire crystal on the stem is broken and needs to be replaced.

Spoiler!
Spoiler!

Neat watch. It does remind me a bit of the one I got from my grandfather.

I noticed some scratches and scuffs on the bracelet from being a loyal daily driver. Assuming there's no matte polish sections on the metal, I found out that a nail buffer does a damn good job erasing those scuffs. It's surprisingly easy and it takes like a quick 2-3 minutes or like 5 if you want to go nice and slow.

https://shop.shoppersdrugmart.ca/ref...e=057800205807

I think it was this one that I got from my wife and replaced. It's a tear drop shaped one and I found it worked better than other style nail buffers out there. It's basically this video below, but cheaper and easier to hold than other finishing pads. You want to use the abrasion side that isn't purely foam.

Not sure how to approach the watch stem, but I think Hack & Lube does enough of this type of thing that he might be able to give you a few pointers.
Old 06-02-2023, 05:27 PM   #2026
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
[/spoiler]

Neat watch. It does remind me a bit of the one I got from my grandfather.

I noticed some scratches and scuffs on the bracelet from being a loyal daily driver. Assuming there's no matte polish sections on the metal, I found out that a nail buffer does a damn good job erasing those scuffs. It's surprisingly easy and it takes like a quick 2-3 minutes or like 5 if you want to go nice and slow.

https://shop.shoppersdrugmart.ca/ref...e=057800205807

I think it was this one that I got from my wife and replaced. It's a tear drop shaped one and I found it worked better than other style nail buffers out there. It's basically this video below, but cheaper and easier to hold than other finishing pads. You want to use the abrasion side that isn't purely foam.

Not sure how to approach the watch stem, but I think Hack & Lube does enough of this type of thing that he might be able to give you a few pointers.

Here’s the stem. There should be a blue sapphire dome. I assume a jeweller who works with gems could refit something

edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 06:05 PM   #2027
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bet Justin at our subforum Gem by Carati could take care of that for ya.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 09:15 PM   #2028
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Any recommendations on a decent “going out” watch I can wear. Budget around $500 used I guess. I have my Apple Watch with a nice brown leather band that matches my belt and shoes I normally wear to work, but for the times we go out I’d like to be a little better then an Apple Watch.

Just want some ideas of what I can keep an eye out for on Kijiji/marketplace
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 10:21 PM   #2029
Texas
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
Any recommendations on a decent “going out” watch I can wear. Budget around $500 used I guess. I have my Apple Watch with a nice brown leather band that matches my belt and shoes I normally wear to work, but for the times we go out I’d like to be a little better then an Apple Watch.

https://www.amazon.ca/Pokemon-Quartz-Metal-Silicone-Casual/dp/B076ZHVCJN/

It's a watch that says "I'm confident and fun". And just think about how many more times you'll be able to enjoy going out with the $480 you saved.
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Texas For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2023, 10:52 PM   #2030
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:

Two words: Seiko.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2023, 08:30 AM   #2031
DFO
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Maybe look at Tissot. The quartz movement versions of many of their watches are in that budget range.
DFO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DFO For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2023, 09:34 AM   #2032
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Tissot LeLocle is on sale at Amazon right now for $545.

This is a great dressy watch with the Powermatic 80 Automatic movement.

https://www.amazon.ca/Tissot-Locle-P...03579642&psc=1
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to _Q_ For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2023, 11:13 AM   #2033
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Two words: Seiko.
I have a great self winding Seiko that I never wear any more because of my damned Apple watch. It's lasted over 30 years.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2023, 01:15 PM   #2034
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If you want to go the microbrand route, check out Lorier or Baltic watches. Although, those might be closer to $500 USD.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 05:13 PM   #2035
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

An every occasion watch or a dress watch?
Did you want a clean looking dial (minimal) or are you OK with it being more busy?

I'd recommend looking at Orient, Seiko, Citizen, Bulova and Tissot. All have quartz. IMO... Citizen probably has the edge of all these brands for solar watches. Bulova probably the most varied in styles for the price range of these brands. Seiko and Tissot probably the most refined of all of these brands for automatics. Orient is pretty good value for varied styles of automatic watches.

Diver styles will work well with casual clothing or dress clothing:

https://www.amazon.ca/Orient-Kamasu-...s%2C142&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.ca/Seiko-SNE583-P...%2C131&sr=8-10

Seiko used to have a ton of awesome diver watch options, but recently their selection has cratered due to discontinuing certain series and pushing the prospex series. Prices have spiked due to this "collectability", so your options might be few and far in between. Orient is still awesome for selection in this price range IMO. Citizen has a few divers but aren't known for them. At this point in time, I think Orient is the winner in inexpensive Divers. Divers are great in that you can soak them in water with completely no worry. This is not necessarily the case with water resistant watches or watches with leather straps.

Dress watch (relatively minimal):

https://www.amazon.ca/Seiko-SRPB43-P...s%2C130&sr=8-8

https://www.amazon.ca/Orient-Japanes...%2C125&sr=8-18

https://www.amazon.ca/Orient-Bambino...s%2C133&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.ca/Tissot-Locle-P...s%2C127&sr=8-1

IMO, this range is going to be easy to find for Bulova, Tissot, Orient, Seiko and Citizen. The only challenge is perhaps something that is inexpensive and looks pedestrian (ie: Orient Bambino above), vs something a little more unique (ie: Orient Sun and Moon) and other discrepancies like open heart, numeral font etc. IMO Seiko and Bulova have some great stuff here and are on the slightly higher end edge of refined, but it seems prices have gone up, so the options might be a bit limited at the moment.

"Busy" watches:

These typically are watches with chronograph, multiple displays etc. Busy isn't bad. Some just consider these types of watches as more active lifestyle type watches vs something refined.

https://www.amazon.ca/Seiko-COUTURA-...s%2C128&sr=8-4

https://www.amazon.ca/Citizen-BJ7006...s%2C119&sr=8-2

https://www.amazon.ca/Bulova-Dress-S...s%2C126&sr=8-4

The above are only examples. Hop on Amazon, type in the brand and "dress watch or diver watch" etc. and poke around at a few style options. Honestly speaking, go for the watch that calls to you. There really isn't a specific watch that everyone will unanimously say is awesome at any price range and/or category.
Old 08-21-2023, 08:26 AM   #2036
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Question for the group because I'm kinda at a loss.

I have a sweet Orient Mako with a steel bracelet. Worked great for years and still does. However, one day the strap broke off the watch because the spring pin got bent during normal use. No big deal, go get it repaired. Problem is that I've had the same repair done THREE times now at three different watch people and the same pin keeps bending and the strap detaches from the watch. It appears the hollow link (the last link) that is attached to the watch is the problem.

Are Orient bracelets known to be weaker? Should I just change to a new strap, like leather?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 09:45 AM   #2037
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Question for the group because I'm kinda at a loss.

I have a sweet Orient Mako with a steel bracelet. Worked great for years and still does. However, one day the strap broke off the watch because the spring pin got bent during normal use. No big deal, go get it repaired. Problem is that I've had the same repair done THREE times now at three different watch people and the same pin keeps bending and the strap detaches from the watch. It appears the hollow link (the last link) that is attached to the watch is the problem.

Are Orient bracelets known to be weaker? Should I just change to a new strap, like leather?
You rarely hear about issues with a specific brand having strap issues. But usually when you hear about a watch having those issues, it's constant. Usually it's a watch specific issue. I've always assumed it's bad luck with manufacturing issues or a bad batch of pins.

Are you repairing or replacing the pin? If you're repairing vs replacing, replace the pins instead. A compromised pin will keep bending, a slightly crooked pin hole could do the same to new pins. Pins are cheap. You can get tons of them in a watch repair kit and swap them out yourself.

You could swap the straps, but it's not guaranteed your issue will go away if what is causing the issue isn't actually addressed. That being said, maybe the weight of a Nato strap or leather strap vs steel strap helps to reduce the constant pressure on the pin and the issue is lessened. But it wouldn't be known for sure unless you tested it out.
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2023, 10:08 AM   #2038
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
You rarely hear about issues with a specific brand having strap issues. But usually when you hear about a watch having those issues, it's constant. Usually it's a watch specific issue. I've always assumed it's bad luck with manufacturing issues or a bad batch of pins.

Are you repairing or replacing the pin? If you're repairing vs replacing, replace the pins instead. A compromised pin will keep bending, a slightly crooked pin hole could do the same to new pins. Pins are cheap. You can get tons of them in a watch repair kit and swap them out yourself.

You could swap the straps, but it's not guaranteed your issue will go away if what is causing the issue isn't actually addressed. That being said, maybe the weight of a Nato strap or leather strap vs steel strap helps to reduce the constant pressure on the pin and the issue is lessened. But it wouldn't be known for sure unless you tested it out.
Pins were replaced each time, so maybe there's something else to it (like the weight of the strap).

I might get a kit and try myself before I change the bad because I do like the current one.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 06:58 AM   #2039
Insufficient Funds
Scoring Winger

Exp:

How tight do you wear your bracelet? It's shouldn't really matter, but if your wear it tight that would add some pressure to the pins in general. Maybe add a half link and see if the problem persists?
Insufficient Funds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Insufficient Funds For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2023, 09:14 AM   #2040
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insufficient Funds View Post
How tight do you wear your bracelet? It's shouldn't really matter, but if your wear it tight that would add some pressure to the pins in general. Maybe add a half link and see if the problem persists?
I was wondering about this, but I assumed it would have been pointed out by now when the watch was being repaired.

If a full link is too loose, checking the links for one that is a little thicker and swapping it in to replace a thinner link could be just enough to avoid the pin bending as quickly.