Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2022, 03:50 PM   #81
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

See a doctor to get medicated is a myopic view of mental health support in general. As others have said, it's one tool, but not the only tool.

I'm sure you understand the gravitas.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 04:00 PM   #82
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Please, if you are having suicide or death ideation, please go see a doctor first and take their advice above anything else. Medications can really help, yes, they are just one piece of the puzzle, but they are the most important piece. Go see a talk therapist, try to get into seeing a psychiatrist. After that, it will be a lot easier to do the other things like meditate or exercise.

The brain is an organ above all else and it can be treated - albeit imperfectly - by medical professionals.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2022, 04:08 PM   #83
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
But aren't you fat?
Yea he is, very, very fat.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2022, 04:11 PM   #84
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

It's not my message board, but this thread has been very enlightening and informative, especially Peter12 and Pepsifree. But it would be reaaallllyyy nice to not have to read through another weird undercoverbrother/peter12 bromance chain of posts if we can avoid it.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 04:15 PM   #85
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

You've got to work less. You're grinding yourself into the ground, literally. Why are you working 6 days and two jobs? That's not worth it. You need to quit on of them.

You've got to invest in you, the things you like. Even if it's just sitting on the couch reading a book.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2022, 04:22 PM   #86
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
A dog named Sliver would be the greatest thing ever.
The jokes could've written themselves . As I recall its cause his tummy was an almost translucent whitish-grey. The actual reason I changed it was because I wanted something even more commonly misspelled/mispronounced
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 04:25 PM   #87
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
You've got to work less. You're grinding yourself into the ground, literally. Why are you working 6 days and two jobs? That's not worth it. You need to quit on of them.

You've got to invest in you, the things you like. Even if it's just sitting on the couch reading a book.
Quote:
I usually work 6 days a week at two jobs to try and keep the bills paid, as I am not one of the CP elite
Did you read the rest of the sentence? Not everyone is making 100k a year.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2022, 04:26 PM   #88
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Yea he is, very, very fat.
I hit a 500 lb deadlift this week old man. I can carry you up the stairs next time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2022, 04:29 PM   #89
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

As for the recommendation to try psychedelics, I know two people with pre-existing mental health issues that ended up having psychotic breaks triggered by psychedelic use. I'm not opposed to the using psychedelics, and have used them myself, but I wouldn't recommend them as some kind of cure all for mental health issues, and they certainly carry their own risks.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2022, 04:44 PM   #90
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPunk View Post
I guess what I mean is, what motivates you to keep getting up day after day and living your life?

It's my 46th birthday this week and for the last 6 months to a year, my thoughts have gone to how much longer I want to live. The thought of living another 20-40 years just seems like a nightmare to me. My body is already breaking down, I already feel my memory going due to concussions and a family history of Alzheimer's. I can't imagine life in a nursing home, if I could even afford it.

I don't have any kids, I don't have many friends thanks to COVID and marriage. I usually work 6 days a week at two jobs to try and keep the bills paid, as I am not one of the CP elite. The only real social activity I have is hockey once or twice a week. I have family and a girlfriend that loves me, but it still doesn't feel like enough motivation to keep going.

If the Doctor told me I wasn't going to live past 50, I think that would be the biggest weight off my shoulders ever. The thought of not having to do this all anymore would be a huge relief to me. I think I'd be much happier at that point. I could make arrangements to have my loved ones taken care of, sell the house and enjoy myself one final time before that final day comes.

And yes, I will be talking to my doctor about this, however the cost of mental health isn't cheap. I think my benefits maybe cover two or three visits. I have reached out to EAP before as well, but they will only cover a handful of visits.

So how's your day been?
I'm certainly not an expert on this, but I cannot stress enough how important it is that you use every resource you can find to get good professional mental health help.

You're taking the first step talking to your doctor.
Tell them that this isn't a passing issue, this is a SERIOUS, PERSISTENT problem that is causing issues in your daily life. Be honest with them about how you feel and how it is affecting you. This is a serious issue that shouldn't be bushed off or ignored.

I haven't read all of the replies, but I did skim.
Everyone here is trying to help, but any response that is a variation of try a new hobby, or read this book, or anything other than "Seek out professional help" may help in the short term, and may be something a professional will advise you to do, but these are not solutions.

By all means take any advice you get here that you think may be helpful, but none of them are substitutes for the help it sounds like you need and want.

PLEASE use every resource you have to get help.
Remember to advocate for yourself, be the squeaky wheel, and ask for more help than you think you need, because you probably need more than you think.
Good luck!

Last edited by Bring_Back_Shantz; 09-21-2022 at 04:46 PM.
Bring_Back_Shantz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2022, 04:51 PM   #91
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lots of good advice and support here. Speaks to the quality of this community overall.
I would only add that sleep matters a lot. If you aren't sleeping well then your mental health suffers a ton (speaking from first hand experience). A lot of people accept that poor sleep is just a reality but it doesn't have to be.
Not sure if sleep is an issue for you or not but if so, I would be happy to share my experiences and how I dealt with it. Reach out.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2022, 04:55 PM   #92
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

CM Punk. Mental health services are extremely costly, but Calgary Counselling Centre will scale your fees according to your income. When I was a student, they charged me around $30 a session.

https://calgarycounselling.com/counselling
Old 09-21-2022, 04:57 PM   #93
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
It's not my message board, but this thread has been very enlightening and informative, especially Peter12 and Pepsifree. But it would be reaaallllyyy nice to not have to read through another weird undercoverbrother/peter12 bromance chain of posts if we can avoid it.
Undercoverbrother wishes it was hotter

surferguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 05:00 PM   #94
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
I dont believe you.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 05:16 PM   #95
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Did you read the rest of the sentence? Not everyone is making 100k a year.
You don't have to make 100k a year.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 05:20 PM   #96
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'll throw in my 2.7 cents (inflation). Life is a crazy rat race for me, but I do it by committing to self-improvement and always having something to look forward to.

For self-improvement I got an MBA, then finally got myself in and stayed in shape for good, and now I'm committed to learning French.

The two things I regularly look forward to are vacations and my garden. Hunting season used to be a big one as well, but I am currently dog-less and it is way less fun without a retriever. I also have medium and long-term things to look forward to. In three years I am moving my family to France for a year. In twelve years I am going into semi-retirement.

Oh, I also love my wife and kids, but I fully admit that is not for everyone.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pseudoreality For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2022, 05:41 PM   #97
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Just don't fall into the "I'm not a real man if I use medication" trap. Medication is a tool just like seeing a professional, cognitive behavioural therapy, etc.

A tool can be used properly, irrationally avoided, or abused. Try to to avoid two of those.
That was me for a number of years until I swallowed my pride and reached out for help. Medication helped me and so did therapy/counseling. I wouldn't be here today had I not done so.
Old 09-21-2022, 07:01 PM   #98
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
OK, not everyone makes 40k a year, either.

You are basically saying "don't work so much", but he obviously needs to, from his statement.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2022, 09:09 PM   #99
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
They don't, but his post was clear that he's struggling to pay the bills with two jobs. I'm sure if one job was an option he'd do it.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2022, 06:29 AM   #100
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
P12 makes it hot enough

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote: