Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2019, 10:25 AM   #881
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well hopefully we're on the verge of seeing Spurs batter Liverpool! Truthfully though, this might be grim. I feel like Liverpool is probably a few rungs above Red Star...not to mention road games have been a problem for months now.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 10:32 AM   #882
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Well hopefully we're on the verge of seeing Spurs batter Liverpool! Truthfully though, this might be grim. I feel like Liverpool is probably a few rungs above Red Star...not to mention road games have been a problem for months now.
Don't worry, Lovren strikes already.
The Big Chill is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Big Chill For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2019, 11:00 AM   #883
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

4 unbelievable saves from Spurs new starting keeper
Old 10-27-2019, 11:02 AM   #884
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

2 United goals in one game. What kind of sorcery is this?
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 11:19 AM   #885
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Frustrating half. Liverpool completely dominate and Spurs get the crazy bounce that leads to the only goal. Gazzaniga by far the best Spurs player so far.
Old 10-27-2019, 11:20 AM   #886
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spurs are lucky to be ahead, without question. But for all the stick that Locke likes to give Kane and Dele for diving, this Liverpool performance is shameless. Someone is close and breathes on them and they just crumple. Late penalty incoming...
Old 10-27-2019, 11:24 AM   #887
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

What dive are you referring to?
Old 10-27-2019, 11:40 AM   #888
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I hope Kane's face is ok, he looked like he was in a lot of pain there when Lovren brushed his chin!
Old 10-27-2019, 12:02 PM   #889
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ridiculous.
Old 10-27-2019, 12:42 PM   #890
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ridiculous.
Yes, that was a bad decision by Aurier.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2019, 02:52 PM   #891
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

The whole thing was ridiculous and I really shouldn't post during the game. I get distracted and don't type full responses of anything.

I'm torn because Spurs didn't deserve a win or anything, but to me that's a routine coming together and not a penalty. It's obvious what's going on there in that they're both going for the ball, come together and somehow that's a foul on Aurier? I think when the whistle blew everyone thought if anything it was a foul on Mane.

Oh well, could've been a lot worse. I expected this to be a beatdown with Spurs still playing poor, so to lose 2-1 doesn't seem so bad.
Old 10-28-2019, 01:05 PM   #892
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
2 United goals in one game. What kind of sorcery is this?
From OPEN PLAY! After those goal scorers, had their PK's saved.

And to complete the contrasting play, the other goal scorer, was the root of our goal against.

What's a consistency?
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 01:30 PM   #893
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Aurier and Rose were both complete disasters yesterday. Rose only completed 17% of his passes! A blacked out pub leaguer could do better.
Old 10-28-2019, 01:44 PM   #894
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
From OPEN PLAY! After those goal scorers, had their PK's saved.

And to complete the contrasting play, the other goal scorer, was the root of our goal against.

What's a consistency?
ikr? Those penalty misses were infuriating but at least they made up for it. Martial proved again why he's by far the most important player in that attack purely by being the only "real" #9 in that squad. Created lots of space for Rashford and James (what a find he's been!).

It was only Norwich, but given they looked helpless against Newcastle only a couple of weeks ago, I'll happily take it. Baby steps.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2019, 01:47 PM   #895
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Aurier and Rose were both complete disasters yesterday. Rose only completed 17% of his passes! A blacked out pub leaguer could do better.
Unfortunately he picked up a yellow, which means he's out against Everton this weekend.

Spurs have some major problems (no kidding!), because between Rose, Eriksen and Alderweireld they could leave, but basically no one wants to pay enough. Apparently there were no offers on Eriksen in the summer, and while United had a little interest he would only go to Barcelona or Madrid. Toby was only the subject of Roma offering $11m I think, so he wasn't sold. And Rose was left behind while the team went East to see about finding a new home and that obviously didn't materialise.

In the meantime, Poch continues to play these guys and with the exception of Toby, they're leaving a lot to be desired. Fun times at Tottenham!

And as far as this weekend, I have no idea what to expect. We should be able to deal with Everton...but I thought that 3 weeks ago with Brighton and we looked terrible in a 3-0 drubbing.
Old 10-28-2019, 01:59 PM   #896
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spurs struggles IMO are the result of a squad not having enough turnover in the last couple of seasons. Just no real new ideas, and they have become predictable in the league especially.

Here was the Spurs squad that faced Liverpool on October 22, 2017

Alderweireld - Sanchez - Vertonghen
Trippier - Eriksen - Winks - Alli - Aurier
Kane - Son

That team won 4-1

Here are the Spurs that played Yesterday

Rose - Sanchez- Alderweireld -Aurier
Alli - Winks - Sissoko
Son - Kane - Eriksen

Rose in for Trippier
Sissoko in for Vertonghen

Both Rose and Sissoko were on the bench in that game in 2017 too.

Part of it is Lo Celso and Sessegnon have not really been able to get into the squad due to injuries but overall Spurs just have not added enough quality over the last couple windows.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 01:59 PM   #897
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Unfortunately he picked up a yellow, which means he's out against Everton this weekend.

Spurs have some major problems (no kidding!), because between Rose, Eriksen and Alderweireld they could leave, but basically no one wants to pay enough. Apparently there were no offers on Eriksen in the summer, and while United had a little interest he would only go to Barcelona or Madrid. Toby was only the subject of Roma offering $11m I think, so he wasn't sold. And Rose was left behind while the team went East to see about finding a new home and that obviously didn't materialise.

In the meantime, Poch continues to play these guys and with the exception of Toby, they're leaving a lot to be desired. Fun times at Tottenham!

And as far as this weekend, I have no idea what to expect. We should be able to deal with Everton...but I thought that 3 weeks ago with Brighton and we looked terrible in a 3-0 drubbing.
I was thinking about this during the game as well.

It seems Levy was waiting for better offers to come in or to hope that some of them would change their mind and decide to stay, but in the meantime they havent gotten any Earth-shattering offers and by continuing to play these guys and their underwhelming performances the value of these players continues to drop.

If he wasnt getting great offers before why would he get any better offers now?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 10-28-2019, 02:04 PM   #898
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

It seems Levy was waiting for better offers to come in or to hope that some of them would change their mind and decide to stay, but in the meantime they havent gotten any Earth-shattering offers and by continuing to play these guys and their underwhelming performances the value of these players continues to drop.

And the one guy he did sell was Trippier who he sold after a terrible season for only $19M.

He seems to have returned to form in Madrid as well since he's looked great there.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 02:17 PM   #899
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

Well you can't just sell players if there are really no takers. I think that they have some gas left in the tank, but obviously their best days are behind them and you're not getting top dollar for that and other reasons.

Truth is though, that's a pretty solid team regardless of those players. There are a few things bugging Spurs fans these days, and one of them is rotation. We've played like 10 games this year and these guys need to be rotated out already? Why was Rose even on the field? Surely Davies was fine from last Tuesday? Why was Eriksen playing? He's clearly not inspired and not playing for the shirt at this point, so play Ndombele or Lo Celso in his place? It's frustrating.

And in the last few years we went from Walker to Trippier to Walker-Peters/Aurier and that slot just looks like a mess. It's pretty clear that Kyle Walker-Peters isn't in Pochettino's plans. Aurier is a red card waiting to happen, and just makes so many questionable decisions. Behind them we're down to Foyth or Sanchez or I guess Moussa Sissoko. Terrible planning.

And tactically, you look at Sunday and wonder what in the world Poch was thinking. I mean Son is making runs in behind, looks dangerous and causes some havoc...so naturally you decide to park the bus and give up possession so that Liverpool can run at you all game? I get that you can't play a wide-open game because that's probably unwise, but surely you shouldn't go to a defensive shell and hope for the best either. Were it not for Gazza##### making 3-4 unreal saves, that game was out of hand in the first half.
Old 10-29-2019, 10:18 AM   #900
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Caribou Cup!

Go Oxford!