Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2018, 12:48 AM   #41
Tbull8
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Account is private now hahaha
Tbull8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 01:07 AM   #42
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tweeted some encouragement to Brouwer.
Weak play or not I'd hate for us as a fanbase to get a reputation of being toxic a-holes to our own players
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2018, 01:13 AM   #43
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Contract has not looked great but the team’s forward lines and their management has been a mess, not to mention the way the PP is coached. I like a lot of what Brouwer has done lately, and brings in general.

That knucklehead on Twitter is not someone that is exhibiting respectable or humorous behaviour.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2018, 01:34 AM   #44
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Weak play or not I'd hate for us as a fanbase to get a reputation of being toxic a-holes to our own players
I did the same. Some people need to realize that at the end of the day it's just a hockey game. Yes, we're all passionate about the team, but Troy is a guy who by all accounts is a great person and wanted to play for this team. He plans on retiring in the city. Fans who tweet this crap at players are embarrassing.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2018, 01:56 AM   #45
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not that he would or should, but wouldn't playing a game on a beer league team violate his contract with the Flames?
Yrebmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 06:09 AM   #46
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrebmi View Post
Not that he would or should, but wouldn't playing a game on a beer league team violate his contract with the Flames?
I am sure it would, plus violate the contract of common sense.
The Cobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 06:44 AM   #47
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I hope he plays. Think about it.

A pro hockey player gets into a Twitter spat and ends up playing on their beer league team.

If there is an establishment in danger of closing that needs this hockey team's help, we could have ourselves a Vince Vaughn movie unfolding before our eyes.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 06:46 AM   #48
Gugstanley
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Did Brouwer contribute to the crowdfunding of his buyout?
Gugstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 07:29 AM   #49
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tylor Dias dun goofed up
Huntingwhale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 07:34 PM   #50
Tbull8
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

http://www.cahl.ca/site/3333/page.as...ction=Schedule

Update: Goalie got lit up in an 8-1 loss
Tbull8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tbull8 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2018, 07:39 PM   #51
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
uhhhhh yeah I think that ship has sailed and frankly, comes with the millions of dollars paycheque territory.

There is about a zero % chance that the Flames; be it management or players- don't read this website. It would be idiotic not to, as what an amazing marketing research tool to have a pulse on the fanbase. It would also be irresistible to know what hundreds of people on the internet are saying about you after a game.

So yeah I have total faith that this site's being read by the Flames, and considering what this site has been over the last little while, well I'd say it's been pretty damn toxic and probably offensive to them.

But, they kind of deserve it sometimes.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 07:40 PM   #52
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post

A pro hockey player gets into a Twitter spat and ends up playing on their beer league team.

If there is an establishment in danger of closing that needs this hockey team's help, we could have ourselves a Vince Vaughn movie unfolding before our eyes.
No chance that his NHL contract would allow it...? Insurance...?
Old 03-07-2018, 07:46 PM   #53
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
No chance that his NHL contract would allow it...? Insurance...?
I dunno, he'd probably fare better in this game than he does against the Townsend Tigers.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
RyZ
Old 03-07-2018, 08:43 PM   #54
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
uhhhhh yeah I think that ship has sailed and frankly, comes with the millions of dollars paycheque territory.

There is about a zero % chance that the Flames; be it management or players- don't read this website. It would be idiotic not to, as what an amazing marketing research tool to have a pulse on the fanbase. It would also be irresistible to know what hundreds of people on the internet are saying about you after a game.

So yeah I have total faith that this site's being read by the Flames, and considering what this site has been over the last little while, well I'd say it's been pretty damn toxic and probably offensive to them.

But, they kind of deserve it sometimes.
I agree that players would visit at times and I'd think the team would have somebody on the payroll monitoring things, but I also think it is important not to forget that CP is a small subset of Flames fans and not necessarily representative of the fanbase as a whole.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 08:50 PM   #55
Gugstanley
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbull8 View Post
http://www.cahl.ca/site/3333/page.as...ction=Schedule

Update: Goalie got lit up in an 8-1 loss

I will contribute to a crowd funding to pay back the goalie's beer league fees, so the team can fill his spot.
Gugstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:29 PM   #56
trublmaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post

Id like to see him play against that goalie and just keep drilling him in the chest with slap shots , let him see what an NHer can do
trublmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 10:42 PM   #57
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
I agree that players would visit at times and I'd think the team would have somebody on the payroll monitoring things, but I also think it is important not to forget that CP is a small subset of Flames fans and not necessarily representative of the fanbase as a whole.
I bet CP has a much bigger following than people realize. What would the rate of eyeballs to actual posters for this site be- 10:1 lurkers to users? This isn’t some obscure nerd circle like everyone would have you believe. Considering the embarrassing amount of time I spend on here, and the news / info I pick up, all of my friends and family have known I’ve been on here for years, they also check in every now and then. Not all of them, but some of them. How many others are like that? How many other lurkers? I bet this place has more profile than people realize. Example, the radio guys, Fan960... GUARANTEED/ they check this site out as you can tell sometimes on their broadcasts they’re pulling info from here. They’ve even quoted every now and then. Roger Millions was on here, journalists are on here. Wasn’t Ken King? Wasn’t Andrew Ference?

This site has some of the Flames most long-term, passionate fans. To have a thread basically saying the NHL kinda sucks more today than it used to, some pretty honest and cold statements about fan opinion from everything from the stadium, to the jerseys / marketing. In-game experience, and then worst of all, several season ticket holders stating they’ll be giving uo their seats after this season- ya- I would imagine the Flames are following this site and probably fairly concerned actually. Well, I think they should be personally.

After this season... there’s going to be quite a few season ticket holders relinquishing their rights. I’m not sure it’s just Calgary either. Other day on Twitter I saw Leafs fans complaining about an alleged 15% (what?!?!) increase to their season ticket prices. Leafs fans were pretty choked.

I think we are witnessing the beginning of a bit of choppy waters for the NHL. They should be paying very close attention to sites like this IMO.

Last edited by Mr.Coffee; 03-07-2018 at 10:45 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2018, 10:50 PM   #58
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hmmm.

My experience is anecdotal, but I've got at least a dozen friends who live in Calgary and are serious Flames fans, same demographic as me, half of them season ticket holders, and not one of them had heard of CP until I mentioned it.
But I don't want to minimize it either. CP has a real presence for sure, I just think that it gets over estimated here.

I don't think we have to worry too much about offending players. Everyone knows the interweb can be a sad little place.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blender For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2018, 11:52 PM   #59
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Just from experience, the Flames organization does monitor all the social media pages and forums that are related to their hockey team.

For example with CFLHorsemen and GoStampGo before that we knew that we were being monitored when Ted Hellard signed up on the site and ripped into a member that said some disparaging things about the organization. When the Flames took over they still monitored our site and their marketing people would reach out to us occasionally.

We managed to leverage that into the beers with night once a year when the Stamps president would invite the board members out for beer and pizza before a game and answer any questions.

For the most part they do see it as a really positive way to gather feedback, and for the most part get a real honest feel for what the fans are saying.

I wouldn't be surprised if Marketing for the CSE doesn't have someone that monitors and reports.

We know that on the football side the players know about the our site and lurk, its lead to see pretty good conversations and interviews on our podcast.

As for the whole beer league thing, the guy is another pseudo tough guy. First of all I played in a beer league game with a guy who was a career AHL player and he stepped on the ice and speed and skill and shot and stickhandling it wasn't even close to competitive.

If a player like Brouwer showed up to play, he could basically put his skates on backwards, use a Canadian tire novelty kids hockey stick and pull his jersey over his eyes and he would still score at will.

Plus the guy shooting his mouth off would gladly gargle Brouwer's shower water and thank him for coming out, and then carry Brouwers equipment back to his house 30 miles away.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2018, 02:40 PM   #60
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
Hmmm.

My experience is anecdotal, but I've got at least a dozen friends who live in Calgary and are serious Flames fans, same demographic as me, half of them season ticket holders, and not one of them had heard of CP until I mentioned it.
But I don't want to minimize it either. CP has a real presence for sure, I just think that it gets over estimated here.

I don't think we have to worry too much about offending players. Everyone knows the interweb can be a sad little place.
I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle, CP has a fairly large presence, but also I dont think we have to worry about offending players, at the same time we should stick to their hockey prowess, this is a bit of a grey area, but nobody is taking personal shots at Brouwer.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post: