Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2014, 10:11 AM   #2201
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
I'm not attacking technological progress, I'm making fun of the fact that human beings are pre-occupied with religion and fighting each other. I'm also not-so implicitly saying that if everyone focused on the right things (e.g. science and progress), we'd be further ahead.
Ok, fair enough. You do realize though that humankind will be distracted, focused on stuff like that for a long time if not forever though right? We do seem to be moving in the right direction. Slowly. That's how things like this happen. Slowly.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 05:13 AM   #2202
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

I don't like slowly, because we need to colonize off planet sooner than later, if we are to ensure the survival of our species we can't be on just earth.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:25 PM   #2203
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
I don't like slowly, because we need to colonize off planet sooner than later, if we are to ensure the survival of our species we can't be on just earth.
I don't disagree that is the end game. Or the beginning of the new (and exciting) game really. But perspective is good. We've had about 6000 years of society, and 100,000-1,000,000 years as a species. When you look at how we've advanced in the last 100 years alone, we appear to be in good shape. It's not like it's going to take us another 6,000 years to get to that. Even 1000. Even 500. Probably not even 250.

You and I probably won't get to see it, but that's life. Neither did the 50 billion or so before us.

Like I said, it's easy to get down with current events and looking at various places and peoples in the world, but looking at our progression, we're actually moving quite quickly.

Unless it's just all about jealousy perhaps? Wrong place in time? Sometimes I feel like that. I remember that comic that showed we were born too late to discover new parts of the world, and too early to explore new areas in space. Kinda sad when you look at it like that for sure, and I get that. Especially if it turns out we are among the very few generations to get stuck in a window like that.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:26 PM   #2204
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
sooner than later relative to what?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:25 AM   #2205
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
sooner than later relative to what?
Well mostly because it is just a matter of time before we get hit with another large asteroid or comet. There's countless reasons as to why, space is a dangerous place, not to mention we are not doing too great on earth either with our little home.

Mostly its for that reason, the unknown dangers, we already know of many things that could end life on earth, so the sooner we get established off world the better.

Cracked had fun with this, 7 things that could destroy us without warning:

http://www.cracked.com/article_19117...t-warning.html
Old 11-05-2014, 03:53 AM   #2206
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Well mostly because it is just a matter of time before we get hit with another large asteroid or comet. There's countless reasons as to why, space is a dangerous place, not to mention we are not doing too great on earth either with our little home.

Mostly its for that reason, the unknown dangers, we already know of many things that could end life on earth, so the sooner we get established off world the better.

Cracked had fun with this, 7 things that could destroy us without warning:

http://www.cracked.com/article_19117...t-warning.html
I agree with a matter of time, I agree it's something we should be doing more about. But in a space age, a few hundred years isn't even a thing. We've existed a million years, we can surely exist 100 more.

Unless you have a specific asteroid you are worried about, this seems more like fear and jealousy, than any real statistical concern.

You know I love you Thor. We agree with nearly everything, and I even agree with you on this on principle. We should be doing more for space exploration, and we should be doing more for asteroid prevention. But human advancement doesn't turn on a dime. It takes what we know as lifetimes.

And in a cosmic sense, that's very fast.

As I said, in the last two hundred years we've crushed the knowledge we had of the past 6000. We can take another 200 to get a real foothold in space.

It's sucks you and I probably won't see it. But maybe we can contribute?
Old 11-05-2014, 05:15 AM   #2207
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daradon View Post
I agree with a matter of time, I agree it's something we should be doing more about. But in a space age, a few hundred years isn't even a thing. We've existed a million years, we can surely exist 100 more.
Odd are yes, still for me doesn't change the urgency, but maybe my urgency is being understood, I see 100 years reasonable to have a nearly self sustaining colony on another off world site. 200 would be my less optimistic, and 300-500 years before a serious off world colony exists, self sustaining.

Then of course there is the need for a way to travel outside our solar system, we need to eventually get outside and far from here to solidify our future existence.

Quote:
Unless you have a specific asteroid you are worried about, this seems more like fear and jealousy, than any real statistical concern.
Until we get a system of early detectors further out, we have a very large blind spot because of the sun which means we are vulnerable in a big way. Again when I say its a matter of time, I mean in big numbers here, but that does not change the fact it could still happen in the next 100 years, but could just as easily be something in the far future when we will hopefully be technologically advanced to deflect them.

Quote:
But human advancement doesn't turn on a dime. It takes what we know as lifetimes.
And in a cosmic sense, that's very fast.

As I said, in the last two hundred years we've crushed the knowledge we had of the past 6000. We can take another 200 to get a real foothold in space.

It's sucks you and I probably won't see it. But maybe we can contribute?
The pace of technology is rapid, what we will discover and innovate in the next 100 years will make all previous human achievement in technology seem so slow. The will of humans is the problem, and is why we will take the next 100-500 years to get a strong human foothold in our solar system.

But I am truly excited by SpaceX and people like Elon Musk who have the vision and resources to start pushing this agenda with the resources and money to put a serious dent in getting this going.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:49 AM   #2208
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Clock so precise that synchronizing it with other clocks is basically impossible. Sensitive enough to detect changes in flow of time from the change of lifting it up off the table.

http://www.npr.org/2014/11/03/361069...-as-we-know-it
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2014, 09:05 AM   #2209
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

What a Panel:

Carl Sagan, Stephen Hawking and Arthur C. Clarke - God, The Universe and Everything Else (1988)

troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 09:43 PM   #2210
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

This isn't news so much as news-to-me:

Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike F For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2014, 11:00 PM   #2211
photon

Exp:

That's why they often refer to the astronauts being in free fall.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:35 AM   #2212
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Old 11-21-2014, 09:02 AM   #2213
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Astronomers Find Evidence Of Two Undiscovered Planets In Our Solar System

http://www.iflscience.com/space/sign...-x-and-maybe-y

The possibility of a planet lurking in the outer reaches of the solar system has gained new ground, based on the orbits of recently discovered objects. There is a new twist to the latest evidence, however, with suggestions of not one but two large planets at mind-bending distances from the Sun.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:51 PM   #2214
photon

Exp:

These guys create a material that reflects sunlight as well as radiates heat at a wavelength that's transparent to the atmosphere, so could reduce the amount of energy needed to keep a building cool. I like seeing stuff on this side of the equation; reducing energy requirements rather than making energy production cleaner.

http://arstechnica.com/science/2014/...at-into-space/
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2014, 10:08 AM   #2215
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.livescience.com/48937-anc...an-arctic.html

Quote:
The stark, barren landscape of Banks Island in Canada has yielded an unexpected find — more than 8,000 shark teeth that date back millions of years, and have now been described in a study.
Quote:
"Probably the biggest surprise, at least at first, was that most of them — literally thousands of these things — belong to just two shark genera, and they are both within the sand [tiger] type of sharks," Eberle said. The two genera are Striatolamia and Carcharias, according to the paper.

The researchers went back to the island in 2010 and 2012 to collect more shark teeth. They estimate that the teeth date to the late-early or middle Eocene epoch, or about 53 to 38 million years ago, according to the study, published in the November issue of the Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Regulator75 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2014, 03:03 PM   #2216
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovement...the_last_laugh

Keith Law, who was suspended from ESPN after he schooled his creationist colleague Curt Schilling in the theory of evolution, made the best comment ever upon reinstatement.

When news that ESPN had suspended Keith because he defended the Theory of Evolution on Twitter began gaining traction, the sports network must have realized how they had managed to cast themselves in the role of the Roman Court of Inquisition. They began spinning. They couldn't say why Keith had been suspended but it "had absolutely nothing to do with his opinions" on evolution. Suddenly, Keith was reinstated. ESPN gave him the green light to return to Twitter, tweet away Keith!"

And so Keith Law did just that. He tweeted. Can you guess what his first tweet was?

Eppur si muove.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2014, 05:44 PM   #2217
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post

Keith Law, who was suspended from ESPN after he schooled his creationist colleague Curt Schilling in the theory of evolution, made the best comment ever upon reinstatement.

When news that ESPN had suspended Keith because he defended the Theory of Evolution on Twitter began gaining traction, the sports network must have realized how they had managed to cast themselves in the role of the Roman Court of Inquisition. They began spinning. They couldn't say why Keith had been suspended but it "had absolutely nothing to do with his opinions" on evolution. Suddenly, Keith was reinstated. ESPN gave him the green light to return to Twitter, tweet away Keith!"

And so Keith Law did just that. He tweeted. Can you guess what his first tweet was?

Eppur si muove.
And he was suspended and not Schilling!
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:46 PM   #2218
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Eppur si muove.
Good move!
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:02 PM   #2219
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean. Galileo and Cassini were probes like Voyager, but with better computers, cameras etc.

The New Horizons probe approaches Pluto in 668 days.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/ne...ain/index.html
Today New Horizons has been awakened, Next month it's expected to start sending back images slightly better than Hubbles images as it's down to the final 162 million miles of its journey and will arrive July 14.
http://science.nasa.gov/science-news...lutosdoorstep/

Mind boggling part:

Traveling at over 36,000 mph New Horizons is the fastest spacecraft ever, when it reaches Pluto after it 9.5 year mission this July it will have traveled almost 3 billion miles.

If it could have traveled at the speed of light it would have took about 4.5 hours to reach Pluto.
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 05:41 AM   #2220
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Tags
biology , chemistry , physics , research , science