Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-04-2023, 07:28 AM   #1
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Telus lays off 6000

I have a feeling we will be seeing more of this.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1687452378625171458

https://twitter.com/user/status/1687456021525012480

Last edited by Yoho; 08-04-2023 at 07:41 AM.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 07:34 AM   #2
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

That should improve customer service.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2023, 07:35 AM   #3
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

So many things I'd love to discuss. Gotta wait until January
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2023, 07:38 AM   #4
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
So many things I'd love to discuss. Gotta wait until January
Does that mean you are finally coming around to my feelings on Telus, and their relative proximity to giant vacuum cleaners?
Old 08-04-2023, 08:14 AM   #5
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

That is a crazy drop in income for the quarter.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2023, 08:30 AM   #6
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

I hate Canadian oligopolies.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2023, 08:30 AM   #7
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

From their press release:
As compared to the same period a year ago, net income in the quarter of $196 million was down 61 per cent and Basic earnings per share (EPS) of $0.14 decreased by 59 per cent. These decreases were driven by the impacts from: (i) higher depreciation and amortization reflecting increases related to capital assets acquired in business acquisitions; growth in capital assets in support of the expansion of our broadband footprint, including our generational investment to connect homes and businesses to TELUS PureFibre and 5G technology coverage; and growth in internet, TV and security subscriber loading; (ii) higher financing costs primarily from greater long-term debt outstanding, attributable in part to business acquisitions, in addition to an increase in the effective interest rate; and (iii) higher employee benefits expense to reflect higher restructuring costs related to accelerated cost efficiency programs.

I haven't gotten into it, but sounds like lots of acquisitions that increased their debt load? Not sure what they recently acquired.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 08:36 AM   #8
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

telus health
agriculture
adt
vivent
ummm... a lot of other small internet providers like mascon
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2023, 08:39 AM   #9
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://tracxn.com/d/acquisitions/acquisitionsbyTELUS

Lifeworks is a big one, and WillowTree as well. This one:
https://blacksmithapplications.com/

Looks to specialize in TLA's and opaque word salad. Perhaps those in whatever industry this is would find it understandable.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2023, 09:15 AM   #10
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

This would explain the 10 calls a day I get from them trying to sell me services. These calls began with the acquisition of ADT

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 09:24 AM   #11
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Telus customers are going to need to book a week off of work in order to call support now. It already felt like a skeleton crew employed by Telus...

I really hope this means I won't get regular calls from them anymore because they don't have the staff to place the call. Telus Fibre isn't available in my area inspite of them calling me monthly and telling me that it should be installed within the next month or two, so sign up now and reap the benefits when it is installed.... I've been hearing that for 4 years now.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 09:45 AM   #12
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Telus customers are going to need to book a week off of work in order to call support now. It already felt like a skeleton crew employed by Telus...

I really hope this means I won't get regular calls from them anymore because they don't have the staff to place the call. Telus Fibre isn't available in my area inspite of them calling me monthly and telling me that it should be installed within the next month or two, so sign up now and reap the benefits when it is installed.... I've been hearing that for 4 years now.
Boy are you in for a surprise!
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2023, 09:53 AM   #13
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Boy are you in for a surprise!
Yup, these are typically not even employees and are farmed out. Layoffs will not effect this.
Samonadreau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 10:08 AM   #14
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do these cuts include some of the Telus health service arms? Never used those, but I wonder if some of those are contributing to the sudden drop in income.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 10:10 AM   #15
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post

You get monthly calls? That’s cool. They were calling me three times a week. Eventually I just blocked the number.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 10:16 AM   #16
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I must have gotten lucky with whoever called me, because I told one guy to remove my number from their calling lists, and never ever call me a gain, because there is no way I would give Telus another cent before the heat death of the Universe. No calls in several years.
Old 08-04-2023, 10:24 AM   #17
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

They are so poorly run, Telus TV is the buggiest junk with the dumbest user interface I've ever experienced. I have to hard boot it basically every time I turn on the TV.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 10:26 AM   #18
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ouch!
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 11:18 AM   #19
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I moved my Dad into a new care facility this week, and they had a deal with Telus, so I thought why not, it saves me some money.

So I set up the account with the rep. Sent me a link to my telus couldn't get in. Sat on hold for an hour, found out he had entered the wrong postal code.

I requested an install date of the first. No problem, went to look at my account, install date was the 6ths. Called in, hour on hold. Changed date to the first, confirmed that they were setting up TV phone and internet. Yes sir.

Showed up on the 1st hours between 1 and 5. The telus installer came (Super nice guy) they don't give them anything like a tool box or something to carry their tools and boxes. He had a black garbage bag.

Went to set everything up. ummmm where's the android box for the TV. We don't install that its shipped and do it youself. Ok, shouldn't I have that delivery. Telus guy shrugs his shoulders. Go to their help center and use the text. It doesn't understand that I want to confirm the box is shipped, when I'm going to get it and a tracking number. Ask to chat with a person, wait an hour. Finally get a person on line. It takes 3 to 5 days to arrive. Ok, when did it ship, did it ship? What's the tracking number. response "I don't know". But I can get a tracking number for you. Great, It'll be emailed to you in 24 to 48 hours.

I'm now having murder fantasies.

Meanwhile the poor rep sets up the equipment gets the wifi working, great. Then he sets up the phone. That doesn't work. Calls their provisioning department and promptly sits on hold for 2 hours trying to get through. Meanwhile he's trying to connect with appointments after mine and just getting screamed at (poor guy). He can't get the phone working talks to the provisioning department, they can't get it activated.

So he finally leaves. tells me to text him tomorrow if its not working and he'll try to help me.

Show up the next day the phone is working sort of. I'll dial it and get a this number is out of service. Dial it again and it works. weird.

Get the tracking number, track it, find out the box will be there on Friday. Shows up in the morning and hook it up, and their special in terms of channels is shall I say ridiculously stupid. Lots of foreign language and base cable channels. Whatever I go to add on channels get that done, add $50 bucks to the deal.

Meanwhile in terms of their setup, they have like 4 boxes that all need power, and it just looks messy.

So when I'm walking the installer out who's dreading his next couple of appointments because he's massively late. He said it used to be easier at Telus because he could call up the ladder to more experienced guys to help him, or call up the ladder to more experienced people in the call center.

He's been with telus for 5 years and he thinks he's one of the more experienced guys, and that all of the people in the India help desk are very inexperienced, and have trouble doing basic services.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2023, 11:21 AM   #20
Fuzzy14
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Hopefully this means I won't be getting weekly calls asking if I want to sign up for Telus home security.
Fuzzy14 is offline   Reply With Quote