Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2020, 04:07 PM   #3361
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Might have played my last round of the year and it was a beauty. Even with a struggle in the middle, I pulled out an 85 for the best score of the year. It's funny (or is it?) that now that I'm shooting lower, each mistake seems magnified. Even a couple of bad holes can really derail things whereas I didn't worry about a few bad holes so long as it wasn't a total implosion.

To get to my point finally, I think the improvement came from two things:

1) Re-gripped by clubs
2) Actually practiced on the range a handful of times

Thanks for coming to my TED Talk.
Old 09-21-2020, 04:35 PM   #3362
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Range time is huge. I hate it and most do, but it's critical.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 05:13 PM   #3363
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Man, golf. Hitting one over through 8, then lost tee shot, proceed to hit drop shot into water, finish the 9 at 5 over. Then start the back nine with 4 pars, feeling great, everything's working.... triple bogey, double bogey, round unrecoverable.
Under stableford off scratch you'd be at 25pts+...if you're a 10 handicap you're looking at 35+ points even with a few wipes. That's a decent round.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rutuu For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2020, 06:25 PM   #3364
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
To get to my point finally, I think the improvement came from two things:

1) Re-gripped by clubs
2) Actually practiced on the range a handful of times

Thanks for coming to my TED Talk.
Ha. Did both and my game is still in the toilet. Spent more time at the range last week- hitting probably 90% of my shots reasonably straight. Warm up prior to my round on Friday - same thing. First tee - massive slice OB. Second tee - massive slice OB. Third tee - hook into water. Finished the day hitting two fairways plus one GIR on a par 3. Frustrating thing is it's not even consistent. I'm about 50/50 as to whether it's going to be a big slice or a hard pull.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:20 PM   #3365
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
I haven't used the range in years, even though it's included in my yearly dues. I found that too much energy was used when prepping for a round. I had a buddy that would hit a bucket or two before a round and then complain of being tired on the back nine.
Old 09-22-2020, 04:58 AM   #3366
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Yeah, people are 50/50 on warm up range time, but I'm talking about dedicated trips to the range just to practice.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2020, 08:47 AM   #3367
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone have a good recommendation for a new set of irons? Been using my super-beginner set from 10 years ago and finally looking to upgrade. Played a lot during COVID and starting to get low-mid 90 rounds (and a fluke 89 last week!).

I think I'm looking for game improvement style, but is there something that exists that isn't quite beginner, and gives a bit of room to grow as I keep getting better?

From my research it's something like the JPX Hot Metal Pro series, but wondering if I'm just tunneling too much into this one set. Also whether or not I should go get custom fitted..
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 09:04 AM   #3368
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
There is one by Deerfoot and Country Hills where you can hit off grass Tuesday / Thursday. So I like practicing my Irons and woods there.

Off the mat, I find it harder to gauge my irons, because I can hit behind the ball and the shot will still be ok.

I followed this video from Rick Shiels on practicing at the range

I am going to borrow my colleague's launch monitor, which includes some "games" for you to hit certain distances. So hopefully that will help with the practicing.
bomber317 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bomber317 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2020, 09:31 AM   #3369
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, people are 50/50 on warm up range time, but I'm talking about dedicated trips to the range just to practice.
Yup - exactly. Going to the range on a day I'm not playing and having a game plan in mind was huge. I focused most of each session on only a few things (grip, alignment, weight shifting, etc.) and it felt like it really gave me good insight and allowed for improvement.

Of course, it's still hard to put it all together on the course, but I could still refer back to my range sessions and remember what made things good vs what made things bad.
Old 09-22-2020, 09:54 AM   #3370
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post
Anyone have a good recommendation for a new set of irons? Been using my super-beginner set from 10 years ago and finally looking to upgrade. Played a lot during COVID and starting to get low-mid 90 rounds (and a fluke 89 last week!).

I think I'm looking for game improvement style, but is there something that exists that isn't quite beginner, and gives a bit of room to grow as I keep getting better?

From my research it's something like the JPX Hot Metal Pro series, but wondering if I'm just tunneling too much into this one set. Also whether or not I should go get custom fitted..
I just upgraded my 20 year old teenager set this year too.
Went with Taylormade M6's (5-AW) and really like them, but honestly didn't try anything else and don't know too much about what to look for.

Ordered from Global Golf online and they had a good sale on them ($300 off).

Whatever you go with, I'd recommend checking online pricing. I found it much better than the retail options Iooked at and you can also get some lightly used clubs which look brand new.
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2020, 02:38 PM   #3371
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
I do my practicing on the course by watching other golfers and how they swing their club. If I see something that might help mine I will incorporate it into my swing. I know that sounds weird but I play between 4-5 games a week and need the days off to rest my body.
Old 09-22-2020, 04:41 PM   #3372
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
I do my practicing on the course by watching other golfers and how they swing their club. If I see something that might help mine I will incorporate it into my swing. I know that sounds weird but I play between 4-5 games a week and need the days off to rest my body.
Playing that much you'd have to rest. My back needs to be managed, as well as my feet. I think I need a wider golf shoe. I run footjoys right now as they're waterproof. What's the widest brand that runs the boa system (no laces) and is still waterproof?
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 08:36 PM   #3373
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutuu View Post
Playing that much you'd have to rest. My back needs to be managed, as well as my feet. I think I need a wider golf shoe. I run footjoys right now as they're waterproof. What's the widest brand that runs the boa system (no laces) and is still waterproof?
My shoulders get sore and the same for my legs as I walk the course and use a clic gear cart. It gets worse near the end of the golf season and I end up taking more days off.

I have 4E wide feet and have yet to find a manufacturer who makes golf shoes that wide. I end up using Nike Air Monarch cross trainers
Old 09-22-2020, 10:36 PM   #3374
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
My shoulders get sore and the same for my legs as I walk the course and use a clic gear cart. It gets worse near the end of the golf season and I end up taking more days off.

I have 4E wide feet and have yet to find a manufacturer who makes golf shoes that wide. I end up using Nike Air Monarch cross trainers

New Balance make some in 4E(not all colours in all styles though). Here is a spikeless option I got in for a couple friends

spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spetch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2020, 06:39 AM   #3375
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that this off season I am going to order a set of equal length clubs. I need new clubs at some point and I think that equal length makes sense. Removing that variable from the swing should hopefully provide some improvement to my game and more consistent ball striking.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 07:00 AM   #3376
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Quote:

I always recommend PINGs. And never the newest models. If you find out your "dot" colour - i.e. preferred lie - you could get a set of used g400s that are fit for your swing for relatively cheap. And PINGs hold their value better than almost every other club out there.

For game improvement, always PING in my mind. Stupid easy to hit, whether g400 line or g700 line. For something to grow into maybe the i200 line.

I have hit those JPX irons before though and they were very nice too!
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AltaGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2020, 08:04 AM   #3377
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

My recommendation is always the set you fell you hit the best. Go to a store that has a simulator and select three or four sets you are interested in. Do a blind swing test. Do not look at the club you are hitting, just swing and feel the ball. Go with a friend and have them randomly feed you clubs and just hit the ball. You will quickly land on what feels best for you. Buy that.

As far as what irons may provide the biggest bang for your buck, the Mizuno JPX series is always right at the top of the list for game improvement. The 919s (921 for 2021) are great clubs but make sure you can get the full set you want. Mizuno has had supply issues this year. Other clubs to consider in your blind taste test should probably include (inexpensive in the line and more expensive) the Taylormade SIM Max and M6, the Callaway Mavrik and Rogue, Titleist T300 and T400, and the Ping G400 and G410.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I think that this off season I am going to order a set of equal length clubs. I need new clubs at some point and I think that equal length makes sense. Removing that variable from the swing should hopefully provide some improvement to my game and more consistent ball striking.
I would be hesitant to go that route. Equidistant clubs could be a quick fad and lead to more problems than cures to your game. There is a reason why clubs have graduated length. They help with control and limit club head speed. The longer the shaft, the less control you are going to have with a shot. What may work for a mechanic like Bryson Dechambeau is highly unlikely to work for a once or twice a week player who is a mid to high handicapper.

Because of Dechambeau's win at the Open there ill likely be a big push to get some of those equidistant clubs into stores and push sales, but I would think beyond the shiny disco ball newness of the product. Where are you going to get instruction when your game falls apart with those things? No instructors in your local market will ever have used them and be able to teach you how to hit them. If you really think this a solution to your game, go buy an old pitching wedge and have your local golf store put a 3 iron shaft in it for you. Take that to the range and see how you like hitting it and how it affects your game. Better to blow $50 on a club to experience this than $1,200-1,500 on a set of clubs you may not be able to hit.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2020, 09:00 AM   #3378
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

has anybody ordered from Golfballs.ca before?

Looks like you can order a variety of different condition used balls from there for a lot cheaper.
bomber317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 09:05 AM   #3379
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've never ordered from there, but I wouldn't buy reconditioned balls. Never had good experience as the shells always seem to come apart. Used though should be fine.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2020, 11:33 AM   #3380
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaGuy View Post
I always recommend PINGs. And never the newest models. If you find out your "dot" colour - i.e. preferred lie - you could get a set of used g400s that are fit for your swing for relatively cheap. And PINGs hold their value better than almost every other club out there.

For game improvement, always PING in my mind. Stupid easy to hit, whether g400 line or g700 line. For something to grow into maybe the i200 line.

I have hit those JPX irons before though and they were very nice too!
I'm very happy with my G410's so second the recommendation for Pings.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow