Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2013, 08:00 PM   #141
Top Shelf
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anyone know a cheap place to get two lift tickets to either Lake Louise or Sunshine for this Saturday? Also, need to find some rentals, is it cheaper to rent in Calgary?
Top Shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:40 PM   #142
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
Anyone know a cheap place to get two lift tickets to either Lake Louise or Sunshine for this Saturday? Also, need to find some rentals, is it cheaper to rent in Calgary?
I had just looked into Lake Louise lift tickets at Costco - they sell a pair for $117. I took a pic to remember what coupons were also offered.

I haven't noticed much difference in rental prices between Calgary and the hills. The Costco deals comes with a 10% off coupon for the rental shop, but it would suck if you couldn't get the rental when you're there, so that's something to keep in mind.

Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2013, 08:52 PM   #143
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Costco.

...nm.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:55 PM   #144
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hey guys,

Every week I watch the snow reports and weather forecasts to see which resort to go to from Calgary. I don't think you have to live in a ski town to appreciate the snow. Many of us Calgarians wake up early every Saturday morning for weekend skiing.

So I've started putting together a mini-project called the #yycskireport, where I share the results of watching the week's ski conditions.

CP'ers are more than welcome to contribute. This is the first week. You can check it out at http://www.yycskireport.com
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:34 AM   #145
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Where does everyone get their ski waxing/edge sharpening done? I saw that sportmart does it all for about $30 each time. Any recommendations?
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:15 AM   #146
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Where does everyone get their ski waxing/edge sharpening done? I saw that sportmart does it all for about $30 each time. Any recommendations?
I use Ski Cellar on 17th. They have a few other locations sprinkled around the city too.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2013, 12:25 PM   #147
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
There is a deal at sportcheck for family tickets
fundmark19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:26 PM   #148
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My garage.

It's actually really easy to do yourself if you have any interest. At $30-60 a pop the tools easily pay for themselves in less than a season. Space isn't much of an issue either. I used to do them in the kitchen of my old condo.

$30 isn't bad. Just keep in mind than generally anything sub-50 or so will be a machine wax and sharpen, not hand.

If I take mine into the shop, I usually use Ski Cellar, Fresh, or Snowday.
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2013, 11:30 AM   #149
macker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Salt Lake City got a 3 foot dump of snow the other day. Skiing in the city : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nJSWP3BWy8
macker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:59 PM   #150
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any suggestions for places to rent decent boots (skis as well, but good quality boots is the primary concern) in Calgary or the Banff area? I know buying is the way to go, but we're going to be flying in for a few days (so not really enough time to spend hours trying on boots to buy) and the shops out here don't have much of a selection to begin with and a decent fitter is impossible to find. Just looking to avoid being slapped into some crap one size fits all situation.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:17 AM   #151
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo403 View Post
Any suggestions for places to rent decent boots (skis as well, but good quality boots is the primary concern) in Calgary or the Banff area? I know buying is the way to go, but we're going to be flying in for a few days (so not really enough time to spend hours trying on boots to buy) and the shops out here don't have much of a selection to begin with and a decent fitter is impossible to find. Just looking to avoid being slapped into some crap one size fits all situation.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
I suggest renting equipment in the City before going to the mountains. There are a few places across from COP, and a sports rental place in Montgomery on 16th Ave. Easy to pick-up and drop-off, and you avoid the lines at the mountains. Probably cheaper too.

https://plus.google.com/110990887940...ut?gl=ca&hl=en

http://www.skicellarsnowboard.com/p_bowness.html

http://www.sportsrent.ca/

Last edited by troutman; 02-27-2013 at 09:23 AM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2013, 08:53 AM   #152
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

POWDER ALERT [Sunshine]
Past 24 hours: 15 cm/6 Inches
Past 7 days: 42 cm/17 Inches
Snow Pack: 209 cm/82 Inches
Snowfall to date: 701 cm/276 Inches
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:21 AM   #153
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Since we spent that one magical day together, I can't stop thinking about you. You're all that I see when I close my eyes and my dreams are filled with your gentle embrace. You're everything that's good inside of me and everything that I aspire to be. I love you, Rossignol S7s

On a serious note, I'm buying these in the off-season. Whats the best ski sale of the year?
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:30 PM   #154
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was lookin at the S7s. This place have them for $499 cad with free shipping.
http://www.freshair.ca/skis/ecwid?gc...044&id=8687431

I don't think you'll find a better deal.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:48 AM   #155
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anybody know what's still going to be open on the first weekend of April? (besides Louise/Sunshine). Looking for somewhere for a late season trip, Anything within 5 hours is good. I assume most of the BC hills are done by easter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
On a serious note, I'm buying these in the off-season. Whats the best ski sale of the year?
Have you picked these up yet? I'm not usually one to say wait for something else to come out, but I had a chance to take a look at next year's S7 this past week in Alaska. They've made significant changes and IMO would be worth the wait/price difference to pick them up in the 13/14 season.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:29 PM   #156
username
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Anybody know what's still going to be open on the first weekend of April? (besides Louise/Sunshine). Looking for somewhere for a late season trip, Anything within 5 hours is good. I assume most of the BC hills are done by easter?

Have you picked these up yet? I'm not usually one to say wait for something else to come out, but I had a chance to take a look at next year's S7 this past week in Alaska. They've made significant changes and IMO would be worth the wait/price difference to pick them up in the 13/14 season.
Revelstoke is staying open until the middle of April. If you can get there on a good snow weekend in spring I bet it would be incredible.
username is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to username For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2013, 02:50 PM   #157
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Castle mountain got dumped on hard the last 2 weeks. Only 17cm the last couple days, but this season has been unreal there. Its less then 3 hours away.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2013, 04:46 PM   #158
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Castle mountain got dumped on hard the last 2 weeks. Only 17cm the last couple days, but this season has been unreal there. Its less then 3 hours away.
Interesting. I figured they'd be closed. I was there once earlier this year but didn't see much of the in-bounds stuff. Might go check that out if the snow keeps up.

Ill definitely keep an eye on revvy. I was there at the end if feb and the bottom half was rained out. Wonder if that's better now?